So, I'm at lunch today and...

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Two guys at the next table are discussing aviation topics. So I crank up the bionic hearing to listen and catch the biggest load of BS ever. Apparently "the old guy" (OG, for short) knows something about flying and is explaining things to "the middle aged guy" (MAG, for short).

OG: "Yeah, most trainers hive high wings so they glide better when the engine quits. Safer that way, cause it is easier to land on a road or something. Low wings just don't glide well."

MAG: Seemed to ask a question. I couldn't hear it.

OG: When people want to go faster, they buy a low winged airplane with a bigger engine. Faster, but much more dangerous. Like guys will move from a Cessna to a Cherokee 6 if they want to go fast.

By this point, I'm thinking about saying to MAG..."Your friend is full of kimchee. You'd do well to take everything he says with a box of salt."

But I didn't, so the conversation continued.

OG: Yeah, people leave the fuel caps off all the time. Do that and the fuel will drain out in flight in just a few minutes. Crashes happen all the time because of that.

MAG: Another question.

OG: "Private pilots don't get much training. Lots of them, blah blah blah.

At this point, I had to leave, but as I drove away, I was trying to understand why someone who obviously knew something about flying was spreading such bad information. A real friend to aviation, that guy....

he obviously doesn't spend enough time on internet pilot forums

Personally I would have probably butted into that conversation, dropped the credentials, and explained it correctly.

Why oh why, Kyle did you not step in? Honestly, you needn't verbally kick his asterisk but you should've said something.

If you were unprepared, then make yourself prepared. GA is taking more hits then Kabul yet you left the field.

So if this is true then I can go fast and glide well with my bi-plane!

No no no...you get all the bad stuff and none of the good stuff. It won't even fly!!!!

Back