So I went to the local EAA meeting.........

Mike,

Here. Are some destinations that are fun- with a little of what to expect:

4M3 - EAA flyin is every second Saturday from about 8am to 10am. The most friendly group I know with people of all ages and even a few female pilots attend. The bacon is 100% plug your arteries good!

KPBF I believe is every third Saturday of the month and the airport dining area is quite nice. Active and friendly group. (Just seems I'm usually out of town that weekend.)

KORK - fourth Saturday of the month and is lunch. Friendly group, but mostly RV builders. Mostly guys. They have a group of fliers that do a lot of formation flying - fun to watch and sometimes you can peek in to see their briefing.

Flight plan to one of those destinations sometime when the weather is good. Worst case, you get a great flight and a little food before returning.

Ha, I was about to create a similar thread not about EAA chapters but just the non friendly reception i've gotten in GA. I've tried so hard to talk to people introduce myself, volunteer help but everything just feels like those scenes in the movies when someone walks into a drug deal or mob meeting. I always end up leaving feeling like I inconvenienced them.

Maybe its cause I'm the youngest i've seen out flying by at least 30 years but despite all my best efforts the reception has been icy to say the least.

Its not like that at the gun range or out riding the motorcycle, I can be knee deep in conversation and people that look like they give a damn within 5 seconds of walking up.

Example 1. Park my bike at an overlook guy says hey love the bike I had a 2006 version, people start asking where your from next thing you know you've been chatting for 30 min with a couple from 2 states away on their yearly big ride, a local supermoto rider, taken pictures for Japanese tourist and given directions to some friendly RV'ers who offered a drink and a gospel tract cause I looked sweaty(and apparently looked like I need Jesus).

example 2. Go flying try to talk to guy at fuel pumps, compliment someone on the plane they are pulling out of the hanger, try to chat with the old guys hanger flying. get nothing but a hey from the first guy a thanks from the sweet decathlon flyer and a head nod from one of the old guys.

Example 1 10 bucks worth of gas 4 hours of riding and chatting with some interesting folks.
Example 2. Desperately trying to pull conversation from people( I know I'm not that awkward I only struggle to be part of the group at the airport) and spent 180bucks on the plane rental.

I love love love flying and introducing people to it but sometimes I just wish I wouldn't get the mob/drug dealer stare everytime i'm at the airport.

Tell em you banged their daugh-, I mean grand- I mean great grand, I mean great great granddaughter. That should get the conversation going.

That gotta be post of the month right there! But you forgot to including making sure they had a new hearing aid battery first.

And Brian's suggestions are good but I might add one thing to his PBF PIREP...if you go, under no circumstances should you leave the airport grounds without donning full body armor and being well armed. Pine Bluff is regularly recognized as the most dangerous small town in the US. I've been to the PBF fly-in but I'd never consider going exploring "in town" just for grins since I'd had a project there once and i felt more uncomfortable there than almost anywhere else I've been. Far more so than in South Cental LA or Chicago's south side.

In my experience, being an outsider in the pilot community is like attending a family reunion for a family you're not related to.

However, the INSTANT you volunteer to help, and then actually do help with putting on the things your EAA chapter doesn't, you are suddenly among old friends.

I've seen it again and again...

In my experience, being an outsider in the pilot community is like attending a family reunion for a family you're not related to.

However, the INSTANT you volunteer to help, and then actually do help with putting on the things your EAA chapter doesn't, you are suddenly among old friends.

Bingo. I had a somewhat similar experience to the OP at my first EAA chapter meeting. Volunteering to actually FLY at the next YE rally got the ball rolling with people knowing my name. Volunteering to help refresh the chapter website got me elected as chapter Secretary/Web guy. :rolleyes:

True that! Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words! ;)

Mary and I have opened our new hangar up to Movie Night every Tuesday night, for the last six months. We've got a 104" projection screen, and show a different aviation movie each week.

We open up the grill and bar at 5 PM. We show the movie when everyone is done lying about flying. Some weeks we have 30 people show up, some weeks just a few.

Some weeks we never get to the movie. lol :)

I do my best to welcome ANYONE to aviation and include them into all activities so they feel part of the group...

I was president of the 1049 EAA chapter a few years back, did my best to grow the ranks but dealing with the entrenched "old boy network" that existed was like beating my head against the wall.. I politely resigned.

Just last week the neighboring airport put on a HIGH dollar retreat for up and coming CEO's... Main goal was to dazzle them with PR to try and sell lots at their new airpark...

http://flyinalpine.com/..

A "in the background" organizer called me the week before to invite me down to the Saturday evening airshow and to come down for the Sunday "bonus day" pancake breakfast to display and give a talk about my backcountry plane. . I told Smitty " SURE" I will help ya out...:yes:

I did fly down for the Sat airshow and received a "luke warm" reception... To dazzle the rich people they actually had a brand new Citation CJ-4 ( 14 mil +)there to shuttle people from one end of the runway to the other...:rolleyes::rolleyes:..

When they suggested I ride along, I politely said "No thanks", I can walk the 1/4 mile ( 1320 feet)... By the time they got loaded up, started the motors and taxied down I was already at the other end sitting in a chair waiting for the rest of my party..:rolleyes:;)...

So, Sunday morning rolls around and I get there an hour early to help serve food and everyone literally would not even look at me, or the two young kids who flew down with me in their plane... The young man was the son of the owner of the FBO at Jackson Hole and his girlfriend....

The few people who were there would not even look at us and avoided us as we walked around waiting to offer to help... Once I sensed the bad vibes, I told the kids to get in their plane and we were going back to Jackson... I didn't want them to get them picked on by the " less then friendly" hosts....

As I started my plane and taxied out, the one guy who invited us down got on his handheld and asked where I /we were going... I very nicely told Smitty we were going flying for awhile.... And we did,, all the way back to Jackson.... I will be damned if I let some cold, self centered, spoiled, almost rich snobs treat me and those kids like siht...

Ps. We had a great flight down and back that morning...:yes::):):)...

Isn't it amazing how many total butt-wipes there are in aviation? It's a lower percentage than the general public, but still...

You would think with all of us being united in our love for flying, we would get along better.

Isn't it amazing how many total butt-wipes there are in aviation? It's a lower percentage than the general public, but still...

You would think with all of us being united in our love for flying, we would get along better.

God knows I try my ass off to make the best light of GA....:redface::redface:,,

Even on POA, if I see a post where the member shows that it his/her first post. I make it a point to welcome them to POA....

:cheers::cheers:

The introvert/geek/nerd/asocial pilots (and there does seem to be a disproportionate number of them) are counting on you extroverts to do the heavy social lifting!

And yes, yes, it really helps to get involved. I bonded with some quiet EAA folks while we were in the trenches flipping pancakes the last three years. The trick is to get them trapped, like behind a grill ... then conversation has to happen.:D

The introvert/geek/nerd/asocial pilots (and there does seem to be a disproportionate number of them) are counting on you extroverts to do the heavy social lifting!

And yes, yes, it really helps to get involved. I bonded with some quiet EAA folks while we were in the trenches flipping pancakes the last three years. The trick is to get them trapped, like behind a grill ... then conversation has to happen.:D

Especially if your spatula is bigger then theirs...:D:D:D

I say it all the time, if you want to grow GA, you have to add a social aspect to it, and flying is about the most anti-social activity I've come across. Racing cars is on par with aviation cost wise, and it's a whole different world socially; if you break a part, your competition in the next pit over will lend you his spare to keep you racing if he has one.

Last year, 2014, Colorado Pilots Association started a new program- the Meet & Greet. Twice a year we invite EAA, CAP, 99s, CAP, all the flight scchools and flying clubs. Everyone in the area involved in GA. Posters in the FBOs all over the state. Notices on our Facebook page and the website. Music, food, FAA seminars, static aircraft displays. All free. If you can't find someone to talk to here, you're just a wallflower.

If you're in the area, Aug 8 this year, KAPA. Details on our FB page when I post them later this weekend.

God knows I try my ass off to make the best light of GA....:redface::redface:,,

Even on POA, if I see a post where the member shows that it his/her first post. I make it a point to welcome them to POA....

:cheers::cheers:

You do indeed do that...just about every time!

In aviation, very little is handed to you - you need to work for most everything. Why should building relationships be any different?

Aviation is not a place for the lazy...

So, volunteering to be their servant is what will gain acceptance. Jim Crow still rules in aviation.

Got it!

:goofy:

Want to meet new friends? Throw your own hangar party and invite whomever you like!!! Forget rude and snobby people. Life too short! Nothing like grill smoke and boiled peanuts to draw folks in. Word will get around,,,

You are 160 miles from us. Next hangar party we throw (soon) you welcome to fly down and have a good time. Uh, you do drink beer, right? :D ;)

Last edited:
So, volunteering to be their servant is what will gain acceptance. Jim Crow still rules in aviation.

Got it!

:goofy:

Volunteering to help with the work, and not just the fun always works out, IMHO.

You've immediately established that you are not just along for the ride, and that doing the things necessary to ensure a good event is as important as showing up and having fun goes a long way.

Find the people with the least expensive airplanes to talk to. I have found the more their plane cost, the more self centered they are.

Van's RV guys will not talk to you unless you have an RV, are building and RV, or have ordered an RV kit.

Same goes for pilots of warbirds and aerobatic pilots.

I have never met a pilot that wouldn't talk your ear off about his 20k dollar Luscombe, Stinson, Taylorcraft, Cub... what ever. I have also found that the more unique the plane is that you fly, the better the conversation and introductions are. My Grumman Yankee isn't what I would call unique but it is more elusive than a Cessna or Piper. No matter where I go someone ask what it is, or goes into stories about how they once flew one.

don't give up on this eaa group if it is a bunch of old timers, once you get them going you will surprised the wealth of knowledge they have.

another source is the imc club. google it for your area and see if there is one nearby.

also use the social flight app to see what is happening in your area.

being involved with the local pilots is what will keep you enjoying the flying.

don't forget the local airport open hangars. an open hangar is an open invite to introduce yourself and ask questions about the people there.

if there is an aviation group nearby, join them.
B7A417A2-4AE6-463F-B935-C0133273C54D.jpg

Van's RV guys will not talk to you unless you have an RV, are building and RV, or have ordered an RV kit.

Same goes for pilots of warbirds and aerobatic pilots.

I have never met a pilot that wouldn't talk your ear off about his 20k dollar Luscombe, Stinson, Taylorcraft, Cub... what ever. I have also found that the more unique the plane is that you fly, the better the conversation and introductions are. My Grumman Yankee isn't what I would call unique but it is more elusive than a Cessna or Piper. No matter where I go someone ask what it is, or goes into stories about how they once flew one.

All RV owners huh? :rofl:

You talking to me? :dunno:

All RV owners huh? :rofl:

You talking to me? :dunno:

Maybe I was a little harsh on the RV guys because I have met a few that were sociable if you catch them when they are alone. Once a group of them get together... you want get a word in edge wise ;-)

Troy, I am sure gonna try to make it. I don't own, so schedule and Mx with the rental and family schedule have to line up. I really want to make it if for no other reason just to harass Ed.

That's the only reason any of us go. :rofl:

Maybe I was a little harsh on the RV guys because I have met a few that were sociable if you catch them when they are alone. Once a group of them get together... you want get a word in edge wise ;-)
We have had many pilots, and pilot groups, stay with us over the years. Of all of them, the Van's RV guys were/are the most friendly and outgoing to strangers.

Were this not the case, I would never have received my "free" RV-8 ride that changed everything for me in aviation. (And ended up costing a small fortune! lol)

RVers are grassroots aviators. They will talk to anyone and everyone about flying. They have become the backbone of what's left of GA hobby flying, and I am proud to have joined their ranks.

Speaking of which, I took this pic at the new restaurant in Lake Jackson, TX, yesterday. As usual, a group of kids was ogling Amelia, (our RV-8) so we invited them to sit in her and make airplane noises. I guess it's the bright red point job, cuz this happens everywhere we go! :)
4aff6d77dcf6f69803832209d789339b.jpg

I have found with many EAA Chapters, you can't be a wallflower because the guys are a little gunshy to open up until they get to know you. Partly because people show up once or twice without making an effort to really introduce themselves and then don't come back.

I am extremely blessed to be in SoCal where aviation is huge. Two EAA chapters in San Diego County (14 and 286), more GA friendly airports than you can shake a stick at, warbirds, RV's, spam cans and more, and damn near 360 flying days a year, a Red Star community for planes like my Yak that is unparalleled in its' size and openness.

Pilot's like to talk about two things, themselves and their planes/experiences ;^). Best to kick-off conversation before lunch is served - walking around hangars and asking about the planes is a great start.

Try again and make a bit more effort - EAA has been a great group to me in KS, AR, UT, NM, and CA - when you work on the road it is a great way to find people who like the same thing you do and make good friends - I am still friends with EAA guys I met 7-8 years ago when on an assignment that lasted less than 6 months.

Good luck.

'Gimp

Back