So I went to an EAA meeting

Becky

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Becky
And it was epic! A 92-year-old gentleman spoke about his time in WWII as a tailgunner in a B-17. He also was in charge of the camera, and passed around amazing, big B&W prints of some of the bomb damaged areas of Europe.

They trained by dismantling the gun and putting it back together blindfolded and with gloves on! It was very cold, so they wore fur-lined clothing, and later there were wires inserted into the gloves and connected to the plane's electrical system to provide heat for his hands.

He was so calm, and very sharp; just talked about his memories and I wished to heck someone had videoed his talk. He said he'd never given a talk like that before! Epic!

He wanted to be a pilot, and was trained as one, but had a "taxiway incident" and was disqualified. So he became a gunner/photographer.

So then the group (about 35 guys) talked about starting a plane project and including young people in it, at which juncture a younger guy there volunteered the shop full of tools he'd just inherited from his grandfather.

I was impressed! What's all this about GA dying out? My 87-year-old mom went with me, and we were cordially treated. One man even told my mom that "Having you ladies here gives our meetings a real lift."

Plus the refreshments were good, but I knew they would be because my husband (the chapter president) brought them. :)

Glad you got to see that & hear the stories. Not many left of the "greatest generation" that served in WWII.

Thank you for sharing the story. :yes:

Frankly, though, regarding GA drying out, if you visit our EAA chapter and your hair is not all white yet, you will be pushing the average age down quite a bit.
Our chapter consists of great people and is also very active. Most of the members however seem to have retired quite a while ago.

Looking at the demographics of of our EAA chapter and our airport in general, I get the feeling that a lot of planes and hangers will become available over the next 10 years or so, with few people to buy them. Kind of sad, actually... :(

I've made the youth movement a huge thing for our chapter. We got a $7500 grant from Signature Flight in December and I've been using that to seed the program. In March we started a youth program and have had some steady attendees. We have been teaching ground school. We have also procured a couple of projects to build. A week and half ago I had the first meeting with members volunteering to be mentors. Yesterday they were cleaning up the hangar where the projects are and getting ready to kick off sessions with the youth right after Labor day.

We sent two kids to Air Academy this year and just funded a couple of $1,000 scholarships for young folks in flight training. We also conduct a one week summer camp with three levels for a week in June each year. The camp is run totally by member volunteers. We have had Young Eagles that have gone to become certificated pilots.

By the same token I have some great older members in my chapter with incredible backgrounds and resumes. One was the chief pilot at Eastern Airlines, another was an Eastern Airlines pilot, another was a FAC in Nam, later flew B-52's and ended his career as a Base Commander a retired Colonel. He still holds a CFII and teaches. That's just the beginning!!

Glad to hear your husband and chapter are pursuing programs for the youth.

If you apply yourself to anything you love good things happen.

Good for you Becky!... And mom!

Last edited:
Problem with Eaa meetings are not enough younger members coming to meetings. We need the older members to help show the way,but we need younger members to keep it going.

Problem with Eaa meetings are not enough younger members coming to meetings. We need the older members to help show the way,but we need younger members to keep it going.

In our local chapter it is the old guard that is keeping things from progressing. They truly believe you cannot build an airplane in an EAA chapter. I tried to get them to build an RV-12 and selling it for a profit. They had a fit and said it couldn't be done. I quit.

I cringed when I saw this thread before clicking on it. Sounds like a great chapter with some living history.

In our local chapter it is the old guard that is keeping things from progressing. They truly believe you cannot build an airplane in an EAA chapter. I tried to get them to build an RV-12 and selling it for a profit. They had a fit and said it couldn't be done. I quit.
In Sport Aviation Jack Pelton wrote this month's editorial, entitled "Not just experimental", in which he discusses how EAA embraces all aspects of aviation. I agree with this approach, but it should have been titled "Experimental welcome too".

My EAA chapter in WI was huge (in the early 90s), very active, and had almost nothing to do with experimental aircraft. This was fine for me at the time, but I remember thinking how odd it was that the chapter was basically a Cessna/Piper club.

My EAA chapter in Iowa was smaller, less active, and also had almost nothing to do with experimental aircraft. And the group here in Texas is more of the same. And even smaller.

If you want to learn anything about experimental homebuilt airplanes, you pretty much have to find a group of RVers, and hang out online at the Van's Airforce site. That's how I got into it, anyway.

It's pretty ironic that, in 34 years of EAA membership I never got a ride in an experimental plane. It seems that EAA may need to develop some sort of a traveling demo team, maybe flying RVs, Glasairs, Velocities, etc, that could visit chapters around the country offering demo rides.

I bet the manufacturers themselves would kick $$ in to such a scheme.

I tried going to a few events once or twice and something about it rubbed me weird. Couldn't say why, but I didn't like the vibe.

I have a house located close to the lakeland sun n fun campus. I get invites to come to the meeting about every month. They have meeting one weekend and the next weekend or so they have a build a plane meeting where you can experience all facets of building. I have yet to go but have been threatening to. They are the chapter who started sun n fun so apparently they actually do things.

How does one learn about EAA chapter meetings?

I've been a member of EAA for several years, and I haven't heard a peep about a chapter.

How does one learn about EAA chapter meetings?

I've been a member of EAA for several years, and I haven't heard a peep about a chapter.

You have to find the chapters on your own. IIRC, EAA website has a chapter locator.

Then either contact the chapter or just show up at a meeting.

Perhaps Chapter 94 in Clear Lake? Their web sites are not current, but will probably get you in the ballpark.

Last edited:
You have to find the chapters on your own.

If some Chapters lack vitality, could this have something to do with it?

Why wouldn't the EAA make it easy for chapters to announce their presence to members? For example, when somebody joins the EAA, if there were just one letter or email that said "Glad to learn you've joined EAA. Our chapter is close to you, why not join us, too?"

There is a webpage, as you mentioned:
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-chapters/find-an-eaa-chapter
I'm just thinking maybe they could do more than provide this page, if they want to improve Chapter vitality.

I just emailed my local chapter last night. Their website had no upcoming events or meeting dates on the calendar, but I'm hoping that they still meet occasionally...

My husband took the 92-year-old former tailgunner from the OP for a flight ... they both had a splendid time. I guess what I am saying is, give a veteran a flight! Don't wait 'til it's too late!

My husband was prompted to do this by the story a friend told him ... about taking an elderly vet for a flight, and the vet died two weeks later.

A salute to all you vets, and thanks!!!!

And it was epic! A 92-year-old gentleman spoke about his time in WWII as a tailgunner in a B-17. He also was in charge of the camera, and passed around amazing, big B&W prints of some of the bomb damaged areas of Europe.

They trained by dismantling the gun and putting it back together blindfolded and with gloves on! It was very cold, so they wore fur-lined clothing, and later there were wires inserted into the gloves and connected to the plane's electrical system to provide heat for his hands.

He was so calm, and very sharp; just talked about his memories and I wished to heck someone had videoed his talk. He said he'd never given a talk like that before! Epic!

He wanted to be a pilot, and was trained as one, but had a "taxiway incident" and was disqualified. So he became a gunner/photographer.

So then the group (about 35 guys) talked about starting a plane project and including young people in it, at which juncture a younger guy there volunteered the shop full of tools he'd just inherited from his grandfather.

I was impressed! What's all this about GA dying out? My 87-year-old mom went with me, and we were cordially treated. One man even told my mom that "Having you ladies here gives our meetings a real lift."

Plus the refreshments were good, but I knew they would be because my husband (the chapter president) brought them. :)

How old was the youngest person there?

Just had the chapter fall cookout,open to all. The chapter just finished their first RV 12 , and are staring a second. We also host the b17 , and the Tri motor. Not easy ,takes a lot of work,membership is increasing. If you I are interested get involved ,work for change.

How old was the youngest person there?

I'd say that young guy was about 25. There was another guy about 40, and I'd say the rest were 50's and up.

Been there..... Done that, and kicked myself in the butt for not recording talks like that..... :sad::sad::sad:

I just emailed my local chapter last night. Their website had no upcoming events or meeting dates on the calendar, but I'm hoping that they still meet occasionally...

Catch-22 there. The older guys (mostly) don't want to mess with technology. The younger guys who are comfortable with managing a web page have full time jobs and kids and struggle to find time to fly, so they are not going to take roles as webslaves.

Catch-22 there. The older guys (mostly) don't want to mess with technology. The younger guys who are comfortable with managing a web page have full time jobs and kids and struggle to find time to fly, so they are not going to take roles as webslaves.

I respectfully disagree....

The young tech savvy people can get on their smart phones and in less time then it takes to order a pizza or a starbucks latte, can update the EAA chapters website.....:rolleyes:...

All it takes is COMMITMENT..... That is something lacking in the younger generation anymore.... IMHO...

The young tech savvy people can get on their smart phones and in less time then it takes to order a pizza or a starbucks latte, can update the EAA chapters website.....:rolleyes:...

All it takes is COMMITMENT..... That is something lacking in the younger generation anymore.... IMHO...

The younger generation acts as they were taught.

All it takes is COMMITMENT.....

Plus the time to track down the guys who don't provide the content on time, the time to provide tech support for the guy(s) who perpetually lose their password (if you're running anything that requires a log-in), and the time to resize the pictures for the website, because heaven knows, you'll never get 'em sent to you at the right resolution.

Maintaining a dynamic web page with updated content is a lot like work.

Also, realize that most EAA chapters aren't exactly flooded with young, tech savvy guys.

We actually have three sites at this point in time. We have the EAA provided site on webs as our main site, a site I developed linked to our membership database and recently just put up a wordpress site for our youth program. Been working on a fourth site to be an online newsletter rather than doing one that we send out as a PDF.

Plus the time to track down the guys who don't provide the content on time, the time to provide tech support for the guy(s) who perpetually lose their password (if you're running anything that requires a log-in), and the time to resize the pictures for the website, because heaven knows, you'll never get 'em sent to you at the right resolution.

Maintaining a dynamic web page with updated content is a lot like work.

Also, realize that most EAA chapters aren't exactly flooded with young, tech savvy guys.

Maintaining a website for a EAA chapter with 20 members ain't that big of a deal..... :no::no:..

And, as I said before, people have to make a commitment and "young tech savvy guys" are NOT commiting any time to pay their dues to perpetuate the EAA.... Hell , I was the president of the local EAA 1049 here.. We flew record amounts of Young Eagles, had student scholorships given out every year, I did media interviews to promote the EAA, did mass mailing / emailing for upcoming events, etc etc..... And all while running a 60 hour a week commercial construction company... Us old timers paid our dues, it is the young kids who want to eat cake without baking it...:mad2:...

Too bad.... Their loss...:sad:

My husband took the 92-year-old former tailgunner from the OP for a flight ... they both had a splendid time. I guess what I am saying is, give a veteran a flight! Don't wait 'til it's too late!

My husband was prompted to do this by the story a friend told him ... about taking an elderly vet for a flight, and the vet died two weeks later.

A salute to all you vets, and thanks!!!!

I love to take vets for rides in the various warbirds I've owned or flown. At one airshow I met a WASP who was a test pilot for North American in Dallas during the war. Turns out she flew my SNJ the first flight. Took her up the next morning in it and she did a beautiful job flying it. I always let them fly the airplane and it amazes me the flying skills they have even after not flying for years. Don

Maintaining a website for a EAA chapter with 20 members ain't that big of a deal..... :no::no:..

And, as I said before, people have to make a commitment and "young tech savvy guys" are NOT commiting any time to pay their dues to perpetuate the EAA.... Hell , I was the president of the local EAA 1049 here.. We flew record amounts of Young Eagles, had student scholorships given out every year, I did media interviews to promote the EAA, did mass mailing / emailing for upcoming events, etc etc..... And all while running a 60 hour a week commercial construction company... Us old timers paid our dues, it is the young kids who want to eat cake without baking it...:mad2:...

Too bad.... Their loss...:sad:

To what end?

Around here the primary focus of EAA chapters are the EAA chapters themselves. I have POA, PB, and VAF for knowledge and resources, and Meetup for some get-togethers... We have an informal pilots breakfast at my home field which is good, mainly attended by current pilots and students. We also have a small informal group that gets together to talk homebuilts. No pancake breakfast trailer necessary.

Different, not worse.

We actually have three sites at this point in time. We have the EAA provided site on webs as our main site, a site I developed linked to our membership database and recently just put up a wordpress site for our youth program. Been working on a fourth site to be an online newsletter rather than doing one that we send out as a PDF.

Why so many? That sounds ridiculously complex.

Most of the younger generation doesn't see the need for a stupid website. We can just put the info on FB or text someone to find out what's going on.

We've been building useless websites full of marketing fluff for businesses for years, and the absolute last thing we would want to spend our personal time doing is putting a calendar on another useless website.

I'd rather have ten back to back root canals than ever maintain a volunteer organization's website ever again.

Here's the calendar. One line.

"Meetings are held each 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM at..."

Want to know what the topic will be at the meeting? Show up.

We might even know what next week's topic is. Or not.

Show up. Commitment, as you say. ;)

And you know what you get for running a volunteer organization's website? Bitching. From everyone. About something. Nothing but. EVERYTHING. Even the colors.

Nope. No more of that. I'll take my bitching about how much something in IT "sucks" with a large side of "paycheck big enough I can afford to co-own and fly an airplane", TYVM.

The only time I maintain websites for free is if I started the damn organization myself. And that's mostly just so someone doesn't screw the website all up royally. Because either I have to do it, or I have to watch them screw it up and NOT ***** because I know better than to run off a volunteer.

Most of the younger generation doesn't see the need for a stupid website. We can just put the info on FB or text someone to find out what's going on.

We've been building useless websites full of marketing fluff for businesses for years, and the absolute last thing we would want to spend our personal time doing is putting a calendar on another useless website.

I'd rather have ten back to back root canals than ever maintain a volunteer organization's website ever again.

Here's the calendar. One line.

"Meetings are held each 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:30 PM at..."

Want to know what the topic will be at the meeting? Show up.

We might even know what next week's topic is. Or not.

Show up. Commitment, as you say. ;)

And you know what you get for running a volunteer organization's website? Bitching. From everyone. About something. Nothing but. EVERYTHING. Even the colors.

Nope. No more of that. I'll take my bitching about how much something in IT "sucks" with a large side of "paycheck big enough I can afford to co-own and fly an airplane", TYVM.

The only time I maintain websites for free is if I started the damn organization myself. And that's mostly just so someone doesn't screw the website all up royally. Because either I have to do it, or I have to watch them screw it up and NOT ***** because I know better than to run off a volunteer.

Agree with all you said.....

But....

Back when I was president of the chapter, there was NO such thing as Facebook, or Twitter or any other form of web presence.. So a website was it...;)

Back