So I have this idea...

I take it you fly a small wheeled plane out of big brand FBO type airports, perhaps you haven't done any real X/Cs, like flying GA over 1000nm?

...and you would be wrong.

When I flew to Iceland for example besides all the basic emergency equipment I made sure I had a satellite phone as well. I didn't just launch and hope like hell I don't end up stuck somewhere with no means of communication. If you're stuck somewhere and can't get hold of anyone... then you're an idiot I'm sorry if this has happened to you and this hurts your feelings but that's what it is. Poor planning and risk management.

When I flew to Iceland for example besides all the basic emergency equipment I made sure I had a satellite phone as well. I didn't just launch and hope like hell I don't end up stuck somewhere with no means of communication. If you're stuck somewhere and can't get hold of anyone... then you're an idiot I'm sorry if this has happened to you and this hurts your feelings but that's what it is. Poor planning and risk management.

Like anything, comes down to cost vs. benefit. Sat phones are wonderfully nice to have, but expensive. Renting one for something like an oceanic crossing makes perfect sense and I would do the same as you did if going to Iceland or the like. I think having one for the occasional situation (these days) where you might land at an airport without a phone or cell reception doesn't make much sense for most of us. If I routinely flew to areas where this was the case, I'd have one. It was an operational necessity for my wife when she was flying the S-92 to off shore oil rigs, but really most of the time the pilots used it to call their wives to tell them when they would be home for dinner. She used it once or twice to call me.

Perhaps what will make more sense for more of us soon will be the satellite SMS options. Those are intriguing to me since the costs become more reasonable. Of course, operationally I still don't have much of a need - I can't remember the last time I landed at an airport without any cell phone signal.

It's irresponsible to get into that position and if someone does, I quite honestly don't feel pity for them. Reminds me also of people who drive into a snowstorm in shorts and a T-shirt and then wonder why they're in a world of hurt when their car breaks down.

If you're going to be flying to a location in the middle of nowhere then make sure you have a reliable means of communication in case something goes wrong at the very least.
It's interesting that there are folks who are worried about being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no comm capability, yet conventional wisdom has it that VFR flight plans serve no purpose. :ihih:

I know of at least one within a hundred miles of SFO.

I'm sure I've flown over many such airports, my point is I just can't remember the last time I landed at one.

Have I been to airports with no cell reception and not much for VHF, yeah, quite a few.

Have I been "stuck" nope, I can handle most stuff that would get me stuck and am decently resourceful.

However if your default attitude for any snag is to call for help, well that's, in my opinion, not very smart.

However if your default attitude for any snag is to call for help, well that's, in my opinion, not very smart.

My default attitude for ANY snag? No. If my ass needs wiping I'll do that myself. If, however, I've blown a tire then yes I need to call for help. What are you going to do? Curl up in a fetal position and cry yourself to sleep because your cell phone doesn't work and you made no contingency plans whatsoever? Maybe wait a few days and hope someone turns up? Activate your ELT? Oh wait, this is James331, I forgot, the self proclaimed super pilot. You will probably change the tire yourself single handedly with your spare that you were carrying and your portable jacks and then inflate the tire with a straw :cool:;)

My default attitude for ANY snag? No. If my ass needs wiping I'll do that myself. If, however, I've blown a tire then yes I need to call for help. What are you going to do? Curl up in a fetal position and cry yourself to sleep because your cell phone doesn't work and you made no contingency plans whatsoever? Maybe wait a few days and hope someone turns up? Activate your ELT? Oh wait, this is James331, I forgot, the self proclaimed super pilot. You will probably change the tire yourself single handedly with your spare that you were carrying and your portable jacks and then inflate the tire with a straw :cool:;)

I'm no super pilot, but I can change a tire in the field, it ain't rocket surgery.

This reminds me of the college girls that you'll see calling AAA just to change a tire for them, even though the car has a tire and everything in the trunk.

Its all good, just your idea of responsibility is quite different from mine, you view not having a sat phone to get someone else to fix it for you as irresponsible. I view not being able to make simple fixes yourself as irresponsible. Independence vs dependence eh?

Not rocket surgery

Last edited:
I'm no super pilot, but I can change a tire in the field, it ain't rocket surgery.

:D:D:D

Obviously you've never had a blown tire on a real plane before you got no idea what you're talking about. I've had a couple myself. So how do you get the wheel off? You're going to lift a couple of tons of plane yourself? Bend at the knees? :rolleyes: You're full of it.

Henning was full of it too but at least he was amusing.

Yeah, I don't see a flat getting changed on anything I fly...

:D:D:D

Obviously you've never had a blown tire on a real plane before you got no idea what you're talking about. I've had a couple myself. So how do you get the wheel off? You're going to lift a couple of tons of plane yourself? Bend at the knees? :rolleyes: You're full of it.

Henning was full of it too but at least he was amusing.

Oh sigh.

Well flying what I fly I'd wager I fly some real aircraft.

On most cessnas and the like, it doesn't take a full shop to get a tire off the deck, if it's a tailwheel, it's even easier, lots of folks carry a spare tube, wonder why...

I'm not sure it matters much whether you're flying to Iceland or flying over any of the bazillions of acres of cell phone dead zones that are far from civilization and that can be found throughout the United States. Any place with no communication and which is greater than walking distance from civilization is, for all practical purposes, as isolated as it gets.

I fly over those sorts of areas all the time. I live on the edge of a six million-acre forest preserve. There are many places within the preserve that probably haven't felt the press of a human foot in generations. Does that mean I should carry a sat phone every time I fly? Maybe. But I personally think that would be excessive. I do, however, carry basic tools, an assortment of spare parts, and the PLB.

And speaking of that, as I said earlier, I'd have no problem activating an ELT, PLB, or EPIRB, depending on the context, if I were stranded and had no other reasonable option. Furthermore, I've paid enough taxes, participated in enough SARs, and given enough hours and dollars to various rescue, disaster, and EMS-related organizations that I'd do so without guilt. Stranded is stranded regardless of the reason. Moreover, I can tell you from personal experience that there were times when I wished victims had activated their locator devices sooner because I would have rather rescued a living person than pulled a floater out of the water. That's always such a bummer. It ruins your whole day.

But if I were stranded, I'd also assess the situation to see if there were some way I could safely get myself out of it without creating havoc. Changing tires is a no-brainer on most light aircraft, for example. So are many other repairs that tend to get people stranded. It's really more a matter of having the knowledge, the will and the wherewithal than anything else.

So I guess my position falls somewhere between yours and James's. But I also must say that I find your tone and tenor to be infinitely more obnoxious than his. And unlike you, I'm not at all sorry if this hurts your feelings. Disagreements can be expressed using language that's neither pejorative nor condescending, and it doesn't seem to me that you've expended very much effort to try to do so.

Rich

So I guess my position falls somewhere between yours and James's. But I also must say that I find your tone and tenor to be infinitely more obnoxious than his. And unlike you, I'm not at all sorry if this hurts your feelings. Disagreements can be expressed using language that's neither pejorative nor condescending, and it doesn't seem to me that you've expended very much effort to try to do so.

Point taken. I apologize for my tone. I guess I just get tired of all the huge egos on these forums where some people always claim to be these super pilots who can do anything, never need any help, etc. My sarcasm and tone doesn't help either though. Thanks for your comments. I am in agreement. I certainly don't carry a sat phone at all times and I agree with carrying spares. I actually carry a spare tire and tube but in my plane I have to have help in lifting to get the wheel off. Of course a light tailwheel plane is different. You cannot paint all situations with the same brush was my point. I made it badly... Another reason to not post with a few beverages under the belt. :D

Point taken. I apologize for my tone. I guess I just get tired of all the huge egos on these forums where some people always claim to be these super pilots who can do anything, never need any help, etc. My sarcasm and tone doesn't help either though. Thanks for your comments. I am in agreement. I certainly don't carry a sat phone at all times and I agree with carrying spares. I actually carry a spare tire and tube but in my plane I have to have help in lifting to get the wheel off. Of course a light tailwheel plane is different. You cannot paint all situations with the same brush was my point. I made it badly... Another reason to not post with a few beverages under the belt. :D

Very well. Carry on. :)

Rich

I wonder if there would be any market for keyboards that lock up when they detect alcohol? :D

Back