So I guess its a good thing when your DPE on a checkride...

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
...at about 75% into the check ride has you do doing maneuvers at the diversion airport...which is also his home base with his office on the field...suddenly takes the flight controls, and pulls into his hanger and says "hop out and take a break, I need to finish up some paperwork from yesterday"...At first, I am bit peeved cuz I am now outta my "zone" and that I was wasting time...peeved that was until he did what he needed to do then printed out and signed off on my certificate right then and there!...then we finished up headed back to my home airport!

Guess I did OK! New PPL...CHECK!

That's an interesting story....

Congrats!! :cheers:

Hah. Lots of fun DPE stories lately. Congratulations!

That'll teach ya to get peeved. lol... I think a DPE can tell within the first few minutes if the candidate can meet the criteria of the check ride. Much of seems pro-forma after you show your ground knowledge and that you can handle the plane in all conditions.

It's a license to learn, keep at it, and welcome to the club(I'll PM ya the secret handshake). :D

Now, I can top that check ride. I bought a Citabria and learned fixed wing in that. On my check ride we were up flying around Ramona CA, doing all the required stuff, and I did a few stalls, etc. After a little while the examiner said 'ok, clearing turns and give me a standard aileron roll to the right.' I thought - huh, I don't recall seeing this in the syllabus. I checked the area, and we did a roll to the right. Then she said 'lets do a loop'. And I had to ask, 'is this part of the exam?' She said 'no, you passed that 20 minutes ago, now were just boring holes. Do a loop and we'll head back'.

Now, I can top that check ride. I bought a Citabria and learned fixed wing in that. On my check ride we were up flying around Ramona CA, doing all the required stuff, and I did a few stalls, etc. After a little while the examiner said 'ok, clearing turns and give me a standard aileron roll to the right.' I thought - huh, I don't recall seeing this in the syllabus. I checked the area, and we did a roll to the right. Then she said 'lets do a loop'. And I had to ask, 'is this part of the exam?' She said 'no, you passed that 20 minutes ago, now were just boring holes. Do a loop and we'll head back'.

That's an awesome story.

Thanks all! Was pretty relaxed during the whole oral and check ride. Was thinking he was pretty confident in me seeing that my FIRST maneuver during the check ride was a climb to 2000', enter slow flight maintaining heading and altitude, then an immediate power off stall with a 20' bank to the right...all WITH FOGGLES on!

Last edited:
That'll teach ya to get peeved. lol... I think a DPE can tell within the first few minutes if the candidate can meet the criteria of the check ride. Much of seems pro-forma after you show your ground knowledge and that you can handle the plane in all conditions.

It's a license to learn, keep at it, and welcome to the club(I'll PM ya the secret handshake). :D

Hmmm. No parachutes?

Congrats!!

My Examiner was at a big airport about 40 minutes North from the airport I flew out of with a LARGE lake to the north of that. So it worked out great we left the big airport on the cross country headed South did some hood work then he said take the hood off and asked where are you. I pointed out every little town within a few miles since we were not far from my stomping grounds. Then he said fly to my home airport for the landings part we did that then he said pull up, let me out and tie her down.

I thought I did great except for one soft field that was a little hard but now I was thinking Oh No I scared him so much he is afraid to fly with me. But after a long wait talking to the guys at the airport he passed me and let me drive him back to save me the flight time back and forth to the big airport. :eek:)

Last edited:
I would not expect parachutes on a PPL checkride. lol

David

When I bought the plane, I got the seat packs with it. I always kept them packed. The examiner saw them in the plane and she checked the pack date. I asked if she wanted them removed and she said no, so we strapped in and off we went.

I always liked that feeling of having it on, but it was not very comfy. Lucky for me, I only went about 2 hours max in that plane, and I was a lot younger.

Congratulations!!! Keep learning and fly safe!!!
(Did someone say something about the secret Handshake?).. :D

When I bought the plane, I got the seat packs with it. I always kept them packed. The examiner saw them in the plane and she checked the pack date. I asked if she wanted them removed and she said no, so we strapped in and off we went.

I always liked that feeling of having it on, but it was not very comfy. Lucky for me, I only went about 2 hours max in that plane, and I was a lot younger.

That makes sense to me,. Cool. Would be fun to just be able to randomly do something "fun" that way.

Now did she pass you on the aerobatic portion? :)

David

Congrats!
Reminds me of my check ride so many years ago. There were two of us taking check rides that day and the DPE's airport was 30 miles south. The first guy flies down to the DPE, does the ground work and takes his check ride coming back to our airport.

The DPE finishes up with him, climbs out of that C-150 and straight to mine and climbs in. Have you preflighted? Yes. Then plan a flight to Minute Man.

Standing on the ramp using the seat back as a table I plan a flight from ASH to Minute Man, Mass. Brief it up, climb in and go. Entering downwind the DPE orders lunch on the radio, oh, just a burger for me, thanks.

We talk airplanes over lunch and then launch to finish the ride and take him back to his airport, BED, where we complete the oral and he presents me with my certificate.

December 1974 and I remember the whole ride like it was yesterday. You will remember yours just as well.

That makes sense to me,. Cool. Would be fun to just be able to randomly do something "fun" that way.

Now did she pass you on the aerobatic portion? :)

David
Depends on how well he held to standards on that "standard" aileron roll. :wink2:

Back