So I got my Google Voice invite yesterday...

Do you know how to do that callback thing with an iPhone?

Thanks,

B

Using this method, and adding A-list to your AT&T account can sure reduce your minutes used each month.

Just add your GV number to your A-list as one of the 5 allowed numbers and you use zero minutes when you dial this way.

Now you can go to the Google Voice homepage and link to specific instructions to use Google Voice as your cell phone voicemail provider.

They make it sound like a new feature, but as I posted before it has worked for a while. What is nice is that GV is now providing the correct conditional call forwarding codes for your provider instead of having to look them up on the Internet, and apparently you can simply sign up for this GV feature without having the whole shebang (?)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...ingle_phone_number_requirement_for_voice.html

Using this method, and adding A-list to your AT&T account can sure reduce your minutes used each month.

Just add your GV number to your A-list as one of the 5 allowed numbers and you use zero minutes when you dial this way.

I heard about that....Any chance ATT could figure out a way to make this not work? Isn't ATT suing Google? (On an unrelated, but GV matter?)

Now you can go to the Google Voice homepage and link to specific instructions to use Google Voice as your cell phone voicemail provider.

They make it sound like a new feature, but as I posted before it has worked for a while. What is nice is that GV is now providing the correct conditional call forwarding codes for your provider instead of having to look them up on the Internet, and apparently you can simply sign up for this GV feature without having the whole shebang (?)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...ingle_phone_number_requirement_for_voice.html

Thanks...This of course after I made the switch:rolleyes: but I do like GV now....What do you think the chances would be that Apple lets that App back in? Just curious...

I heard about that....Any chance ATT could figure out a way to make this not work? Isn't ATT suing Google? (On an unrelated, but GV matter?)

I suppose so. Someone else will have to speak the technical methods they could use to block only GV numbers from the A-list. Until they figure it out though, I'll keep using it. ;)

They are in a dispute via the FCC. It's over Google blocking calls to rural areas.

Thanks...This of course after I made the switch:rolleyes: but I do like GV now....What do you think the chances would be that Apple lets that App back in? Just curious...

Unknown. I'm guessing pretty good eventually. Of course we are all using one of two third-party apps which used to be on the store. Google has their own app which they submitted for consideration but was rejected and was never available - on the iPhone that is. That sparked a query from the FCC.

Personally, I think Google should just go ahead and release their app to the world for the iPhone with directions (and a disclaimer) on how to jailbreak it. Then tell AT&T (or Apple, whomever is to blame) to suck it until they cave.

Unknown. I'm guessing pretty good eventually. Of course we are all using one of two third-party apps which used to be on the store.

My copy of GV Mobile stopped working after the last firmware update from Apple. Every time I try to start the app now, I get an error message of "Invalid Credentials". So not only did they take it off the App store, they have managed to cripple it for at least some of us who managed to get it before they took it down.

Personally, I think Google should just go ahead and release their app to the world for the iPhone with directions (and a disclaimer) on how to jailbreak it. Then tell AT&T (or Apple, whomever is to blame) to suck it until they cave.
They can't, because they might then be liable for contributory copyright infringement under the DMCA. Sadly, jailbreaking isn't yet exempted in the same way that unlocking is....

My copy of GV Mobile stopped working after the last firmware update from Apple. Every time I try to start the app now, I get an error message of "Invalid Credentials". So not only did they take it off the App store, they have managed to cripple it for at least some of us who managed to get it before they took it down.

Hmm...mine too. Argh.

According to Kovacs' website it is actually Google that crippled it :rofl: Has nothing to do with the firmware update. Google notified him of an impending change to their login protocol and before he could push v.1.3 to the app store to deal with the change Apple closed him down. Then the change on Google's system took effect rendering the app useless. Only way to deal with it is to jailbreak.

I actually find it easier to dial my number and press 2 for voicemails if I'm not near a computer, than to use the app, since I don't SMS much. Tonight was the first time I had tried opening it in a while.

I got my invite while back, and was just getting around to activating it tonight. They have the option of using your existing number now, albeit at the expense of a few features. Anybody here using GV that opted to use their existing number?

I got my invite while back, and was just getting around to activating it tonight. They have the option of using your existing number now, albeit at the expense of a few features. Anybody here using GV that opted to use their existing number?

There is no downside to going all the way Keith. Its an advertising gimmick. Choosing to "use your current number" means that you will use GV only to manage voicemail. But you can sign up for the full service and *still* use GV to manage your mobile voicemail. That's what I do - I have a google voice number but I also use google voice to manage my voicemail on my cell phone number too, since people still call me on it all the time.

There is no downside to going all the way Keith. Its an advertising gimmick. Choosing to "use your current number" means that you will use GV only to manage voicemail. But you can sign up for the full service and *still* use GV to manage your mobile voicemail. That's what I do - I have a google voice number but I also use google voice to manage my voicemail on my cell phone number too, since people still call me on it all the time.
Thanks,
That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I now have invites available if anyone wants one.

Thanks Michael.

Joe

How sad is it that the mighty Apple has blocked an app that is available on both Blackberry and Android, and the only alternative is to resort to using a webpage to avoid it.

You realize what would be the opinion of people if Microsoft did that, right?

How sad is it that the mighty Apple has blocked an app that is available on both Blackberry and Android, and the only alternative is to resort to using a webpage to avoid it.

You realize what would be the opinion of people if Microsoft did that, right?

Yeah, the grounds for blocking the GV app were flaky at best. They allow skype to operate over WiFi, and the user would still utilize minutes when using GV over the cellular network. Most think it was because the app would have allowed international calls for cheap as well as SMS messaging for free.

In any case, the web app works well and it shows up like any other app icon. Works for me :)

We're trying to ditch the landline at home and add another cell line to our current Verizon plan to replace it. I'd like to get a second Google Voice number to use with it. I really like the GV number for my cell and I think it'd be great for transitioning over to an all cell household. The problem is I can't seem to get an invitation. We'd be using my wife's gmail account for the invitation. The invitations seem to have dried up. Anybody out there know why, or have one of the *few* user invitations that were allowed to be sent out by current users?

Thanks,
KL

We're trying to ditch the landline at home and add another cell line to our current Verizon plan to replace it. I'd like to get a second Google Voice number to use with it. I really like the GV number for my cell and I think it'd be great for transitioning over to an all cell household. The problem is I can't seem to get an invitation. We'd be using my wife's gmail account for the invitation. The invitations seem to have dried up. Anybody out there know why, or have one of the *few* user invitations that were allowed to be sent out by current users?

Thanks,
KL

I got my second GV number by inviting myself....

The invitations seem to have dried up. Anybody out there know why, or have one of the *few* user invitations that were allowed to be sent out by current users?

Thanks,
KL

If you haven't found one yet, PM me. I have a couple left.

GV Mobile is back, now called GV Mobile+. I just downloaded it and am playing around since I never had it before. I had previously downloaded the program that works off the browser but I thought it was too unwieldy so I never used it and I had pretty much forgotten about my GV number. Now maybe I will use it more.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/18/google-voice-iphone-2/

Last edited:
GV Mobile is back, now called GV Mobile+. I just downloaded it and am playing around since I never had it before. I had previously downloaded the program that works off the browser but I thought it was too unwieldy so I never used it and I had pretty much forgotten about my GV number. Now maybe I will use it more.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/18/google-voice-iphone-2/

I saw that and grabbed it too. If anybody tries it and keeps getting a "Magic Key" error during the account setup in GV like I did, I found out it's because multiple sign-in is enabled on your Google Account. Disable that and the error goes away.

Back