So I got my Google Voice invite yesterday...

I just start with GV it's got some good features. I like the phone number I got. But here's an example of text translation.

GV Version: <snip>

Joe, Google Voice implemented a new transcription engine yesterday (Aug 7th). Adds punctuation and better interpretation. I'm wondering how it would do with that same message left now. PM me your GV number and I'll leave you a new VM with YOUR transcribed version of it, and let's see how it does.

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/towards-better-transcription-period.html

Is it important to have a 'catchy' google number?
(is it something people will have to know?)

Why would there be no numbers left in my zip code?

Well, I selected "1fly" as the last four of my number :D

More likely they never had any numbers in your zip code- not much demand out there ;) Did you try your area code? That might be the best you can do until they build out availability later.

Dave:

There re fewer phones in your county than there are in my neighborhood, I imagine.

---

I wonder why I have not yet gotten an invite? I'm nice, I bathe regular...

I wonder why I have not yet gotten an invite? I'm nice, I bathe regular...
I haven't either. It would be nice -- I give my cell phone number out to clients constantly. It'd be better to give the google voice number and then have it ring both my cell and office phone.

Dave: There are fewer phones in your county than there are in my neighborhood, I imagine. I wonder why I have not yet gotten an invite? I'm nice, I bathe regular...

I figured with so few folks around there would be plenty of 'numbers left' but maybe I am thinking about it wrong.

I put in a good word for you so it shouldn't be long til you get yours. They are working down the 'cool people' list first, sorry.

I figured with so few folks around there would be plenty of 'numbers left' but maybe I am thinking about it wrong.

I put in a good word for you so it shouldn't be long til you get yours. They are working down the 'cool people' list first, sorry.

Story of my life.

I have to name-drop that I know you or Jesse to get anything done anymore.

I think it took a week or less for me to get my invite. I registered and before I thought about it again it was in my mailbox. I wonder what I did right??

Joe

I just start with GV it's got some good features. I like the phone number I got. But here's an example of text translation.

GV Version:Here's my transcription:I hope that when I learn what gets transcribed and what doesn't, I will find it this more useful.

Joe

Joe, Google Voice implemented a new transcription engine yesterday (Aug 7th). Adds punctuation and better interpretation. I'm wondering how it would do with that same message left now. PM me your GV number and I'll leave you a new VM with YOUR transcribed version of it, and let's see how it does.

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/towards-better-transcription-period.html

Troy,

Yours worked much better:

GV Transcript said:
Hey Joe, It's, Stewart and I, and we're in Albuquerque in right now but time is 12 10, Mountain Time, 12 10 Central Time so bad news, 10 10 pacific time. We'll be there about 240 right, pacific time, so if you can't be in Santa Monica 240 or around then. You know whatever 250 is actually Troy from the always leaving you the message that we talked about. Talk to you soon love to hear how it worked out. Bye.

my transcription said:
Hey Joe, It's, Stewart and I, and we're in Albuquerque and right now but time is 12 10, Mountain Time, 12 10 Central Time so that is, 10 10 pacific time. We'll be there about 240 right, pacific time, so if you can be in Santa Monica 240 or around then. You know whatever 250 is actually Troy from POA leaving you the message that we talked about. Talk to you soon love to hear how it worked out. Bye.

Only a few minor misses. I certainly understood the message from this transcript.

Thanks for the test Troy!

Joe

Troy,

Yours worked much better:

Only a few minor misses. I certainly understood the message from this transcript.

Thanks for the test Troy!

Joe

Awesome! Their punctuation and transcription were much better with the new code load.

I have an extra Google Voice invite that I'll gladly give up if anyone is interested. I sent Jesse a PM offering to him for all his hard work on the board, but I haven't received a response yet. If he doesn't want it, I'll give it away here. Anyone interested?

Edit: Jesse has one, so it's up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
A hiccup for me is: because I am forced to have a GV number outside of Alaska (because none are available up here) I cannot use GV to make calls to Alaska without incurring a 4 cent per minute charge. As far as they know I am calling from Nevada (where my GV number is located) to Alaska :nonod: That isn't much, but outgoing calls from my cell phone are free.

I'm not going to be using GV for any outgoing calls much at all but I have really enjoyed using it for incoming calls.

Did you see that Google just announced free calling to/from Alaska and Hawaii finally?

Did you see that Google just announced free calling to/from Alaska and Hawaii finally?

Yeah, the headline trumpeted "Google Voice has come to Alaska"!!

Unfortunately all they meant is that the dropped the per minute charges to Alaska and Hawaii, and will allow calls to be forwarded to Alaska (and I presume Hawaii) landlines. Still no Alaska area codes, and I found that the lag times are pretty horrendous - similar to a satellite phone conversation.

The only thing I am using it for currently is premium voicemail service for my cell phone. I programmed my ATT wireless to forward to GV for voicemail instead of normal AT&T voicemail. Much better :yesnod: Nice to have transcription and delivery to my email inbox, even if I can't take advantage of the other GV features.

Hi All,

I have a question for you guys...

I just got my GV invite, and I would like to see if I can use it to my advantage, but I am not sure how to go about (or even if) I could implement GV to help...

I have a iPhone/ATT, and I am away at college. The cell phone service where I am is horrible; I routinely get dropped calls, sometimes my iPhone doesn't ring and just goes straight to voice mail, and sometimes I am notified well past the phone call that I have a voice mail.

Can you guys think of anyway that I could use GV to help fix this?

Thanks,

Brent

PS--Additionally, some text messages can take a while (5 min+) to send, and cell phone reception in my dorm is not good. I also like my cell number now, and ideally, I would rather not have to change my number with everyone, etc.

Last edited:
Also, I just randomly set my caller id from GV. How can I change it to my name?

Thanks,

Brent

Hi All,

I have a question for you guys...

I just got my GV invite, and I would like to see if I can use it to my advantage, but I am not sure how to go about (or even if) I could implement GV to help...

I have a iPhone/ATT, and I am away at college. The cell phone service where I am is horrible; I routinely get dropped calls, sometimes my iPhone doesn't ring and just goes straight to voice mail, and sometimes I am notified well past the phone call that I have a voice mail.

Can you guys think of anyway that I could use GV to help fix this?

Thanks,

Brent

PS--Additionally, some text messages can take a while (5 min+) to send, and cell phone reception in my dorm is not good. I also like my cell number now, and ideally, I would rather not have to change my number with everyone, etc.
Assuming you are not in AK or HI...

The advantage in your case is that you can use the Internet to check messages. I hate ATT visual voicemail in that in some cases notification can take longer than 24 hours if you were out of service when the call came in.

If you tell everyone your new "cell" number is your GV number, you won't lose anything - the calls will still come to your cell when you are in service like they do now - but will gain a better voicemail service (with SMS and/or email notification and transcription) that you can access when you have Internet access but no cell service. Also: though I know almost no one has a landline nowadays, if you were to install one in your room you would have the ability to do what GV was really intended to do - when people call you at one number it will ring both phones...and you can use GV to make free outgoing calls from your landline if cell service is marginal.

Last edited:
And as you say if you don't want to change your number with anyone at the very least you can do exactly what I've done. Program your Att wirelss to forward to GV instead of the default ATT voicemail and use it as your "premium voicemail" service. It won't help with realtime calls but will make sure you get your messages from any computer or wifi connection on the iPhone.

You can Google for the ATT wireless dial codes to change your no answer and call decline forwarding numbers and delay times, or I'll post them when I get home later.

Last edited:
OK, this is cool:

I checked for available numbers, and got he phone number which used to be my mom and dad's when I was little; it has the same area code and last four digits as the number my dad still has, but in 1963 (ish), the prefix changed. I got it back.

Simple pleasures...

OK, this is cool:

I checked for available numbers, and got he phone number which used to be my mom and dad's when I was little; it has the same area code and last four digits as the number my dad still has, but in 1963 (ish), the prefix changed. I got it back.

Simple pleasures...

That's cool! Why didn't I think of checking for that kind on number?! I did find a really easy to remember "vanity" number though. Last four digits spell out my name, area code and first three are really easy to remember.

And as you say if you don't want to change your number with anyone at the very least you can do exactly what I've done. Program your Att wirelss to forward to GV instead of the default ATT voicemail and use it as your "premium voicemail" service. It won't help with realtime calls but will make sure you get your messages from any computer or wifi connection on the iPhone.

You can Google for the ATT wireless dial codes to change your no answer and call decline forwarding numbers and delay times, or I'll post them when I get home later.

Enter the code string for each including * and # and hit send. You will will receive a confirmation message on each. (see attachment.)

Where xxx-xxx-xxxx is the number to which you want the number forwarded i.e. your Google Voice number. For [sec] enter the number of seconds you want your phone to ring before rolling over to Google Voice, up to 30 seconds.

If Busy(reject call button pressed):
Activate: *67*xxx-xxx-xxxx*11#
Cancel & Retain: #67*11#
Re-establish: *67*11#
Cancel & Forget: ##67*11#

if no answer:
Activate: *61*xxx-xxx-xxxx*11*[sec]#
Cancel & Retain: #61*11#
Re-establish: *61*11#
Cancel & Forget: ##61*11#

If Unreachable (off or out of service):
Activate: *62*xxx-xxx-xxxx*11#
Cancel & Retain: #62*11#
Re-establish: *62*11#
Cancel & Forget: ##62*11#

Note all of this will only work correctly if your cell phone number is set as your default mobile phone number on Google Voice. If so, after rolling over it will ring only once and then voicemail will pick up.

For those of you who are on ATT wireless...even if you are using GV in the intended fashion (one number for all) you can do this to insure that if someone still insists on dialing your cell phone number directly, all your voicemail messages will still end up at GV. Never have to check your att voicemail again.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.png
    IMG_0916.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

You can manage all your GV SMS via the Internet, both sending and receiving. Again, nice for when you are in a place where there is a computer in the room or where you have Wifi on the iPhone, but not cell service. No help when you are using your default ATT phone number for SMS.

Despite my post above with all the codes for ATT...you really need to get over your fondness for your cell phone number and just give everyone your GV number :yesnod: Easier said than done, I know, but if and when they actually bring full functionality up here I will take that plunge.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure mine does, but I don't remember how I set it up....

According to the Google help forums, you can't change the way the outgoing caller ID is displayed. At least not yet. Mine shows the city the number was issued from and the number. Of course, if someone puts my GV number in their cell phone directory/phone book and adds my name, it'll display my name when I call them. That's a function of the phone though, not GV.

My VOIP provider on my home number is beta testing a feature that lets you change the number displayed on your outgoing phone calls. It allows you to display your GV number after you go through a confirmation process. It's working pretty well. It'd be nice if cell providers would implement something like that.

I wonder if it is because i'm using an Android phone, but when I just called, it shows Nick Brennan - (505)750-7890.

Odd.

Enter the code string for each including * and # and hit send. You will will receive a confirmation message on each. (see attachment.)

Where xxx-xxx-xxxx is the number to which you want the number forwarded i.e. your Google Voice number. For [sec] enter the number of seconds you want your phone to ring before rolling over to Google Voice, up to 30 seconds.

If Busy(reject call button pressed):
Activate: *67*xxx-xxx-xxxx*11#
Cancel & Retain: #67*11#
Re-establish: *67*11#
Cancel & Forget: ##67*11#

if no answer:
Activate: *61*xxx-xxx-xxxx*11*[sec]#
Cancel & Retain: #61*11#
Re-establish: *61*11#
Cancel & Forget: ##61*11#

If Unreachable (off or out of service):
Activate: *62*xxx-xxx-xxxx*11#
Cancel & Retain: #62*11#
Re-establish: *62*11#
Cancel & Forget: ##62*11#

Note all of this will only work correctly if your cell phone number is set as your default mobile phone number on Google Voice. If so, after rolling over it will ring only once and then voicemail will pick up.

For those of you who are on ATT wireless...even if you are using GV in the intended fashion (one number for all) you can do this to insure that if someone still insists on dialing your cell phone number directly, all your voicemail messages will still end up at GV. Never have to check your att voicemail again.

Thanks guys for the info!

At what point/where do I enter those numbers to set up the forwarding to GV for voicemail?

You can manage all your GV SMS via the Internet, both sending and receiving. Again, nice for when you are in a place where there is a computer in the room or where you have Wifi on the iPhone, but not cell service. No help when you are using your default ATT phone number for SMS.

Despite my post above with all the codes for ATT...you really need to get over your fondness for your cell phone number and just give everyone your GV number :yesnod: Easier said than done, I know, but if and when they actually bring full functionality up here I will take that plunge.

Question...If people text my GV number...and it comes through as a SMS to my phone, and I reply from my phone as a SMS, do they see my GV number on their end? Then, same question, just what if I reply as an email?

Also, I can't initiate a SMS from my GV number on my cell, right? I.e., I do a lot of text messaging, and if possible, I'd rather avoid other people having two numbers to text me at, I wouldn't want to start a text on my cell, and then have the reply go to GV, etc.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean? I don't think there is a way to assign your name to your outgoing GV caller ID.

I thought there was, though just changed my gmail address, and got a new invite, and there was no option, so I think I was confused before...

Thanks again for the help...

Thanks guys for the info!

At what point/where do I enter those numbers to set up the forwarding to GV for voicemail?

Just go to the keypad on your iPhone and enter the text string and hit send. The ATT system will reply with a confirmation screen for each one.

Question...If people text my GV number...and it comes through as a SMS to my phone, and I reply from my phone as a SMS, do they see my GV number on their end? Then, same question, just what if I reply as an email?

Also, I can't initiate a SMS from my GV number on my cell, right? I.e., I do a lot of text messaging, and if possible, I'd rather avoid other people having two numbers to text me at, I wouldn't want to start a text on my cell, and then have the reply go to GV, etc.

If you are using the Google Voice app on your Android, it actually sends the SMS through GV instead of your phone, so the other site shows your GV number, not your mobile.

So - with the GV app on Android, you can send and receive your SMS on the phone. Using any other phone, most likely, the answer is no.

Question...If people text my GV number...and it comes through as a SMS to my phone, and I reply from my phone as a SMS, do they see my GV number on their end?
Yes. They do this using an interesting workaround that is explained here - sort of.

Then, same question, just what if I reply as an email?
Umm...I can't reply to an SMS with an email on my iPhone. Is that a new feature on the 3G models? OR are you talking about entering a SMS email address to reply? Not necessary. Or you can set up GV to deliver all SMS messages via email, and reply to them via email.

To initiate a SMS from your iPhone via GV you have two choices...only one of which is currently available to you. Those that got in under the wire have an iPhone app that manages your Google Voice voicemail and SMS, but Apple pulled them from the app store a few weeks ago. Or you can go to this website from your phone: https://www.google.com/voice/m/sms It actually isn't too bad. Or if you have saved a SMS conversation from a recipient you can go back to it, initiate another message to the 406-area-code number that was assigned to their last message, and just send another one (hope that makes sense :redface: )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If you are using the Google Voice app on your Android, it actually sends the SMS through GV instead of your phone, so the other site shows your GV number, not your mobile.

So - with the GV app on Android, you can send and receive your SMS on the phone. Using any other phone, most likely, the answer is no.

Any chance of getting Android on my iPhone? How about a copy of that APP apple pulled?

Thanks for the info...If I understand the last part correctly...The best way to send a SMS via my GV number on my iphone (since I don't have the app they pulled) would be to send everyone I text 1 text from GV online...Then when they reply, continue the conversation on my iPhone. This would give all my contacts a "406" number. Then, add that specific "406" number to the contact, so, under the SMS app in the iPhone, I see everyones name, not just a bunch of "406" numbers...Would that work? Would/does the 406 number ever change? The only "gotcha" would be that I can't delete the "text message thread" for any contacts in the SMS app on my iPhone, no?

Thanks,

B

Yes. They do this using an interesting workaround that is explained here - sort of.

Umm...I can't reply to an SMS with an email on my iPhone. Is that a new feature on the 3G models? OR are you talking about entering a SMS email address to reply? Not necessary. Or you can set up GV to deliver all SMS messages via email, and reply to them via email.

To initiate a SMS from your iPhone via GV you have two choices...only one of which is currently available to you. Those that got in under the wire have an iPhone app that manages your Google Voice voicemail and SMS, but Apple pulled them from the app store a few weeks ago. Or you can go to this website from your phone: https://www.google.com/voice/m/sms It actually isn't too bad. Or if you have saved a SMS conversation from a recipient you can go back to it, initiate another message to the 406-area-code number that was assigned to their last message, and just send another one (hope that makes sense :redface: )

Also, is there a way other than calling my GV number on my iphone to place a call to another person so it appears I am calling them from my GV number? I.e., I'd like to cut out my old number entirely, and not have everyone have two numbers for me, etc.

Last edited:
Also, is there a way other than calling my GV number on my iphone to place a call to another person so it appears I am calling them from my GV number? I.e., I'd like to cut out my old number entirely, and not have everyone have two numbers for me, etc.

Well, you can initiate the call from the Google web interface on your phone (as shown above) or your computer, or the app if you had one :redface: Those are the only ways other than dialing your number and selecting "2", if you don't have the iphone app.

This is the other reason I suggest everyone change their busy, not available, and away routing from their default mobile voicemail to Google Voice, even if they are using GV as their "one number." If people continue to call you on your cell directly, at least all your voicemails will still end up in one place.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...If I understand the last part correctly...The best way to send a SMS via my GV number on my iphone (since I don't have the app they pulled) would be to send everyone I text 1 text from GV online...Then when they reply, continue the conversation on my iPhone.
Right so far.

This would give all my contacts a "406" number. Then, add that specific "406" number to the contact, so, under the SMS app in the iPhone, I see everyones name, not just a bunch of "406" numbers...Would that work? Would/does the 406 number ever change?
Hmm. Never thought of that, never tried it. Would only ever work for those who you had previously texted. I'll give it a try later.

Here's what Lifehacker says about your two questions:

• Text message replies: When Google Voice delivers your text messages to your phone, they arrive from a completely new phone number [usually from the 406 area code], although with a contact's name attached if you have it stored. Replying to that message is easy, but to compose a new message to that person and have it show up as being from your Google Voice number, you'll have to add that phantom Google Voice SMS number to their contact, perhaps under an "Other" phone. You can, of course, send and respond to texts from Google Voice's web site, and its mobile site works great from phone browsers, but when you're not near a computer or a net connection, this is the way to enforce your One Number.
  • Call-backs: Unlike text messages, Google Voice doesn't provide a magic call-back number to avoid re-introducing your "old"/carrier number to contacts. If Voice's mobile or desktop web sites aren't accessible, you have to call into your Google Voice number, hit 2 to place a call, then enter the number you're calling back. That's a pain in the rear, and even more so if you don't feel comfortable setting your cell phone to not require a PIN when you call Google Voice.
    If you're calling certain contacts all the time and want the calls to go through Google Voice, you could search to see how to insert one- or two-second pauses into a phone number in your phone's address book. Then create an "Other" number for them that consists of your Google Voice number, then a pause, then "2," then a pause, then that contact's actual phone number, followed by a "#". That automates the Google Voice dialing, leaving you with just a bit of a wait while it goes through.

Last edited:
Right so far.

Hmm. Never thought of that, never tried it. Would only ever work for those who you had previously texted. I'll give it a try later.

Here's what Lifehacker says about your two questions:

• Text message replies: When Google Voice delivers your text messages to your phone, they arrive from a completely new phone number [usually from the 406 area code], although with a contact's name attached if you have it stored. Replying to that message is easy, but to compose a new message to that person and have it show up as being from your Google Voice number, you'll have to add that phantom Google Voice SMS number to their contact, perhaps under an "Other" phone. You can, of course, send and respond to texts from Google Voice's web site, and its mobile site works great from phone browsers, but when you're not near a computer or a net connection, this is the way to enforce your One Number.
  • Call-backs: Unlike text messages, Google Voice doesn't provide a magic call-back number to avoid re-introducing your "old"/carrier number to contacts. If Voice's mobile or desktop web sites aren't accessible, you have to call into your Google Voice number, hit 2 to place a call, then enter the number you're calling back. That's a pain in the rear, and even more so if you don't feel comfortable setting your cell phone to not require a PIN when you call Google Voice.
    If you're calling certain contacts all the time and want the calls to go through Google Voice, you could search to see how to insert one- or two-second pauses into a phone number in your phone's address book. Then create an "Other" number for them that consists of your Google Voice number, then a pause, then "2," then a pause, then that contact's actual phone number, followed by a "#". That automates the Google Voice dialing, leaving you with just a bit of a wait while it goes through.
Thanks for your help with everything...I tried it for a few days, and I am going to make the switch:smile:

B

Do you know how to do that callback thing with an iPhone?

Thanks,

B

Back