So I am starting a non profit...

PrincessPilotNJ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WATXNJMA
One of my biggest dreams has always been to teach underprivileged girls how to fly at no cost to them. I will be teaching them, along with a couple buddies who will donate their time. Has anyone ever started a non profit organization before and have any pointers? This will mean so much to me if I can change just one persons life for the better.

No experience or tips, but let me know when you get your non-profit status. I'll donate. I think it's a great idea.

Be nice ;) I think it's great she wants to start a non-profit. That's an admirable goal.

??? She goes off the deep end on you, starts deleting her profile then comes back, tells people not to worry about what she's doing but yet is always posting for attention. Yeah...makes complete sense.:confused:

??? She goes off the deep end on you, starts deleting her profile then comes back, tells people not to worry about what she's doing but yet is always posting for attention. Yeah...makes complete sense.:confused:

I know, I know... but I'm a fighter, not a lover. Or wait... that's not right. Actually, it is. I just have a couple drinky poos in me and am trying to take something called "The Higher Ground." I read about it on the internet.

I was Treasurer of a 501c3 organization for a few years. The biggest hurdle, other than funding, is navigating the tax code and filings.

You first need to establish the organization and the articles of incorporation must contain certain language to qualify for exempt status. The IRS has all the information on its web site.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mrs.6PC might be an information source. She was a higher up for a local non-profit for a while.

Is underprevliged too poor to eat, or just not rich enough for flying lessons? Makes sense to exclude underprevliged boys - they have so many other options in aviation that girls don't have, like Young Eagles, and the military, and CAP. . .uh, wait. . .no. . .

Thank you for the info.
She was ED at a non profit for the last 5 years.
PM me your contact info and I will pass it on to her.
She knows the ins and outs of running a non profit. It has been a huge part of our life for awhile.

She officially retired from that position 2 weeks ago but I am sure she still remembers a lot about running a 501 C-3PO :)

She was ED at a non profit for the last 5 years.
PM me your contact info and I will pass it on to her.
She knows the ins and outs of running a non profit. It has been a huge part of our life for awhile.

She officially retired from that position 2 weeks ago but I am sure she still remembers a lot about running a 501 C-3PO :)

501C-3PO...???? Is that like a 501(C) but with a slightly British accent..?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

She also has some sort of commercial opportunity to sell you. Interested?

I have been involved in starting up a number of non-profits; be certain that you are well-counseled in what to do! It need not be costly, but it should be done right.

Let us know how it goes-- I think it is a great idea!

Is underprevliged too poor to eat, or just not rich enough for flying lessons? Makes sense to exclude underprevliged boys - they have so many other options in aviation that girls don't have, like Young Eagles, and the military, and CAP. . .uh, wait. . .no. . .

@PrincessPilotNJ you should be aware that if you start a non-profit, grow a thick skin.

I've been doing it for over 7 years, and the number of people who will go out of their way to tell you what you do is a terrible idea and a waste of money or otherwise make snide remarks is baffling.

Good luck.

Last edited:
@PrincessPilotNJ you should be aware that if you start a non-profit, grow a thick skin.

I've been doing it for over 7 years, and the number of people who will go out of their way to tell you what you do is a terrible idea and a waste of money or otherwise make snide remarks.

Good luck.

To be fair, even though his way of approaching it was snide, sundancer's point was not invalid. However, I agree that helping any segment of the population is better than helping no segment of the population. I don't see a problem with aiming the organization towards "underprivileged" girls and not boys... if someone wants to help the boys, then they can start their own non-profit. Although she will have to come up with specific criteria on what she considers underprivileged.

Regardless, thick skin is required for most aspects of life... at least if you want to keep your blood pressure down.

To be fair, even though his way of approaching it was snide, sundancer's point was not invalid. However, I agree that helping any segment of the population is better than helping no segment of the population. I don't see a problem with aiming the organization towards "underprivileged" girls and not boys... if someone wants to help the boys, then they can start their own non-profit. Although she will have to come up with specific criteria on what she considers underprivileged.

Regardless, thick skin is required for most aspects of life... at least if you want to keep your blood pressure down.

When you start a non-profit, you quickly learn that no good deed goes unpunished. I've been criticized plenty in my life (as we all have), but it shocked me to see the order of magnitude increase in criticism that came when I started flying dogs, mostly from people who aren't out doing anything to try to leave the world a better place themselves. I've also had Angel Flight pilots tell me it's ridiculous and that their cause is more noble.

Don't get me wrong, starting a non-profit wasn't about getting priase. I started a non-profit because I wanted to help others, not because I wanted people to stroke my ego. But being told the cause is ridiculous, being called a bad person (and much worse) because I can't fly fluffy the puppy from LA to NJ tomorrow, and even having people call me to accuse me of stealing their dogs was surprising.

You can contact MayCay Beeler at http://divaflight.com for some advice. divaflight isn't a non profit but she does host several summer camps devoted to getting young women into aviation.

to offer @PrincessPilotNJ some serious input: Check out http://www.ninety-nines.org/ and get involved with your local chapter. Will be a much more helpful and snark free experience for sure.

I'm actually the Secretary of the local chapter and can vouch that it's a great group. We offer lots of scholarships and host fundraising events - of which the money goes to those scholarships. Lots of insightful women. They'd be a great resource pool for PP.

Get started on the non-profit status letter from IRS now. It usually takes a very long time for the determination letter to be issued.

By the way, read up on disseminating funds or capital items from a non-profit. Once things are purchased by a non-profit, they usually must be given to a non-profit or destroyed. Anything else triggers tax issues.

Also look into whether or not your volunteers must be members or employees of the non-profit to receive money from it.

And beware whether or not flying is considered "compensation" to the volunteer pilots per the FAA. Most non-profit flying organizations have letters of waiver for their "Commerical" activity from FAA.

A few years ago, was one of the 3 people involved in something similar. We had the opportunity to get a used LSA *very cheap* (legit, of course!) The approach we took was to create a 501(c)3 to teach aviation and aerospace curriculum, book and practical stuff, and have a flight club as part of the program. We were partnering with a local public school to make it an afterschool program. Advantages - we could integrate aviation topics into all parts of the academic curriculum (math, science, writing, etc) and have a state-certified teacher teaching those topics, then have an FAA-certified BGI/AGI teach the actual FAA stuff. The flying part would be very low-cost (not free - never free - want something? work for it) Had grant money lined up, had a local school lined up.

I was going to own the LSA and lease it back to the 501(c)3 for the sole purpose of flight training for those participating in the program at exactly what it cost on an hourly basis.

Just remember - non-profit does NOT mean lose money!

Then the "board of directors" went off the deep end and I walked away.

Attempt #2 - different group entirely. They had already created one successful charter school, now wanted to create a STEM-specific charter school for aviation/aerospace. Spent far too much time and effort with them. I should have known better - Dad was a used-car salesman, and I've always been able to spot a scam.

#1 Have a VERY detailed and specific business plan to present to the lawyer. General ideas will not work. Warm fuzzys will not work. Good intentions will not work.
#2 find a lawyer who specializes in 501(c)3
#3 There's HUGE amounts of STEM grant money out there. Go look for it. Partner up with someone who's really good at writing grant proposals.

Perhaps before jumping into the deep end on your own, find a local non-profit that is successful and does something you appreciate, and learn to swim by being on their team. Make sure the BoD know you're there not just to help, but also to learn. While there, make lots and lots of connections and build up the net work. Then when you're ready to start the flight school, you're much better educated as to the creation process and successful running.

When you start a non-profit, you quickly learn that no good deed goes unpunished. I've been criticized plenty in my life (as we all have), but it shocked me to see the order of magnitude increase in criticism that came when I started flying dogs, mostly from people who aren't out doing anything to try to leave the world a better place themselves. I've also had Angel Flight pilots tell me it's ridiculous and that their cause is more noble.

Don't get me wrong, starting a non-profit wasn't about getting priase. I started a non-profit because I wanted to help others, not because I wanted people to stroke my ego. But being told the cause is ridiculous, being called a bad person (and much worse) because I can't fly fluffy the puppy from LA to NJ tomorrow, and even having people call me to accuse me of stealing their dogs was surprising.

Chuckling to myself..."No good deed goes unpunished" could well apply to PoA some days :D

I'm not surprised at the reaction Ted. There are always those who get on with doing, and those who sit back and judge. I think I've been told each one of my businesses were "a dumb idea" and would never work.

Snide? Got that bar set a bit low, it seems to me. But I concede others have diffrent sensibilities. Maybe have a checklist on the application?
1. Interested in aviation?
2. Family income is xxxx or less?
3. Pee standing, or sitting?

I jest. . .while I find the discrimination by gender bizarre, it is her time, energy, and vision.

Snide? Got that bar set a bit low, it seems to me. But I concede others have diffrent sensibilities. Maybe have a checklist on the application?
1. Interested in aviation?
2. Family income is xxxx or less?
3. Pee standing, or sitting?

I jest. . .while I find the discrimination by gender bizarre, it is her time, energy, and vision.

Thanks for being so helpful.

I've been doing it for over 7 years, and the number of people who will go out of their way to tell you what you do is a terrible idea and a waste of money or otherwise make snide remarks is baffling.

Good luck.

This is so true, me and my girlfriend have been involved in dog rescue for years, we have had so many people tell us how we are wasting our money and our time.... Most of the time these comments come from horribly selfish people that find the need to try and tear down others that are trying to give back a little.

Seriously F them! If I want to take my money put it in a barrel and light it on fire that is my business, I like to help dogs... For one they don't give me their opinion on what I should spend my money on, Maybe that's why I like them :)

As a CPA who specializes in NPO (40% of practice is for NPO, past chairman of IL CPA Society not for profit conference, former international treasurer of my collegiate fraternity, among other stuff) the hardest things I see in the nfp world imo are:

1. Regulatory filings
2. Funding
3. Having a functional Board
4. Conservative growth to protect resources
5. Dealing with egos
6. Staying focused on mission

Wise Giving Alliance and Board source are good places to learn about NFP ORGS. I recommend to all my NPO clients to subscribe to their resources. And no, I am not compensated or affiliated with Board Source.
https://boardsource.org/eweb/

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back