So, how was your morning?

Frogs97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frogs97
Couldn't book a plane to fly this morning, so my oldest son and I drove out to Hicks (T67) for some good grub and plane watching. Winds ended up 60 degrees off the runway at 10-15kts. So we got to see some great (and some not so great) x-wind work.

Got to check off a bucket list item when I got up close and personal to a gorgeous Beech Staggerwing. Then got to see it take off and fly and land (happened to be one of the best x-wind landings of the day). Sigh ... someday ...

Got to talk to a wonderful man trying to sell me his D35 Bo who told me to bring my beautiful blonde excuse for not buying his plane over to take a flight. Got his number, but it's not quite in the cards for me yet. Watched a T-34 Mentor do some pattern work, and as we were leaving we had an Mu-2 come screaming in on final, chop the props, and essentially be stopped with a little less than half the runway to spare.

I need more mornings like that ...

Sounds great,a day at the airport,any airport is always worth the trip.

Took my 3.75 year old to a great monthly fly-in breakfast at Moontown, Alabama. He enjoyed the ride over, the breakfast, and the walking and talking around the airfield.

And then we started home. About 10 minutes after liftoff he began throwing an epic fit wanting to go back to Moontown. He didn't stop screaming (at the top of his lungs) until after we'd landed "back home". Just fabulous.

Worked at the flight school today and was surrounded by aviation. I'd say my day was pretty good!

10411822_10202953671495474_7318151470497289912_n.jpg

Gave these guys some go-go juice

Taught a bunch of new motorcycle riders to ride.

This work will allow me to fly this coming week. :)

'Beautiful morning flight around Phoenix with a friend in his new CTLS. We did T-N-Gs at 5 towered D airports, all the while staying below the PHX Bravo. Burned a whole 4.8 gallons of MoGas.

Flew my brother's Cub today. Back in the saddle after some health issues and resultant surgery. I'd self grounded a couple of months ago. Now to get my planes annualled and back in the air too.

7ehabyjy.jpg

No flight today; will be photographing more islands on Monday. So today, went to Merriman Cove/Allen Point(Harpswell, ME), took orders for five different photo canvas pieces of that area I photographed recently. Door to Door marketing(with extensive selections on iPad views) WORKS.

HR

Last edited:
Flew home from Southport, NC with my wife and daughter. Daughter had first helicopter ride while I waited for some avionics work to be completed.
BTW, Southport, NC (KSUT) is an outstanding GA airport. Very friendly and competent. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Flew to Lufkin and met a fellow pilot from another forum for breakfast. Was a good way to start the day.

Flew my brother's Cub today. Back in the saddle after some health issues and resultant surgery. I'd self grounded a couple of months ago. Now to get my planes annualled and back in the air too.

7ehabyjy.jpg

Now THATS a happy look'n dude. :D

7ehabyjy.jpg

Congrats!!

Had to tend to a faulty garage door and GFI issue at one of our rental houses. Finished up, found multiple missed calls and texts awaiting me on the phone in the truck. Seems the westbound Chesapeake Bay Bridge shut down for two hours on a Saturday morning in the summertime (no bueno, instant 7 mile backups with folks returning from their Saturday to Saturday rentals at the beach). Suddenly everyone that needed to cross the water remembered I had an airplane. Bridge reopened in time for the wedding photographer to make it to Annapolis, but the pilot commuting to JFK missed the last best flight out of DCA, so I went to the hangar and slapped together the engine that was mid oil change. One quick round trip flight to Republic later, several hundred folks will make it to Brazil on time, thanks to me. :D

Gave my wife her first GA trip in IMC. She didn't complain at all. But after we landed she said she was terrified by being unable to see anything outside of the plane. On the way home it was worse as we first hit rain showers (pretty light) and then some fairly strong turbulence. Fortunately it was done in about 40 nm.

The local Rc club I used to belong to before I went full scale was having an event.. I swung by there.. Offered an club member a ride in my Cherokee so we left. I gave him a 1.2hr ride and let him fly it for a a while, it's safe to say he's hooked! We went around the valley and over our local lake. When it was all said and done we talked for about a half an hour on what it takes to get your certificate.. Needless to say he was on cloud nine and hopefully a future addict!

shot 89 on the golf course and played the entire round with 1 ball and 1 tee. celebrated with a delicious Macallan.

With a couple of exceptions, sounds like a great weekend from coast to coast!

So, are those drop tanks slung across the bottom of those A-10s?

Another sold out weekend, so (with our daughter watching the desk) we drove out to the airport and found this on the ramp:

10570542_722669987768898_8432093723319350249_n.jpg

No, it's not the EAA sweepstakes plane, as I first thought. This one is a '40 model, while the EAA's is a '37. Sure is gorgeous, though!

We thought about flying to Wings and Wheels, at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum in Houston, but the wind was 70 degrees off the runway heading, gusting to 20. Since we're flying tomorrow (Sunday) we decided to skip that and drive to our amazing German bakery (on North Padre Island), for strudel.

Then, it was off to the local pub to watch our Packers pummel the Rams. Woot, it's football season again! :)

And then...it was back to work. Lots of paperwork, taxes, etc., keeping me busy till at least 2 AM tonight/tomorrow morning... The price we pay for our fun...

I flew down to Parlin Field (2B3) today for a fly-in. It was a beautiful day to fly, not too bumpy, a few showers here and there but nothing dangerous. Parlin is a little field nestled in a valley, with a 3400 ft paved runway and a shorter turf runway (not sure of the length) and a narrow river meandering along its western edge. It's one of those leftovers from bygone days, a real pilots' haven where folks gather to fly and to sit around and talk aviation. There are too few places like it left. Ray Community (57D) in Michigan is the one I learned of first, and I'm really happy to see that New England has at least one cut from the same cloth. The fly-in was mostly over by the time I got there around 1330, but there was still good conversation to be had, and a sale price on avgas that I took advantage of as well.

Back