SO how does this guy get to be FAASTeam?

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Some of you might remember my previous club owner and his crazy shenanigans. Watching a movie under a towel while flying, deliberately disobeying ATC, yelling at ATC and , in general, constantly abusing them if he doesn't get the routing he wants, and his poor teaching techniques. (his techniques are far more daunting than "mooing when you hear a 2". He ran one plane out of gas. He was under investigation for not keep his airplane properly maintained. His paperwork was utterly atrocious for his CFI work. The FAA told him last time they "would keep their eye on him."

So how does someone like that become a FAASTeam Rep and purport to further GA safety?

http://www.aviationsafetyvideos.com/

they'll take anyone who volunteers?

Some of you might remember my previous club owner and his crazy shenanigans. Watching a movie under a towel while flying, deliberately disobeying ATC, yelling at ATC and , in general, constantly abusing them if he doesn't get the routing he wants, and his poor teaching techniques. (his techniques are far more daunting than "mooing when you hear a 2". He ran one plane out of gas. He was under investigation for not keep his airplane properly maintained. His paperwork was utterly atrocious for his CFI work. The FAA told him last time they "would keep their eye on him."

So how does someone like that become a FAASTeam Rep and purport to further GA safety?

http://www.aviationsafetyvideos.com/

FYI I get a security alert with the web site. It tried to install malware.

Requirements are generally for a willing volunteer who has something to contribute. Instructors are preferred. I'd be surprised he'd be accepted as a rep if he'd had any violations. I know of one excellent instructor who got into a disagreement with the FSDO, was proven right in the end, and was rejected as a rep. So politics will play a part, for good or bad, I guess.

I'd be surprised he'd be accepted as a rep if he'd had any violations. I know of one excellent instructor who got into a disagreement with the FSDO, was proven right in the end, and was rejected as a rep. So politics will play a part, for good or bad, I guess.

We have a couple down here that have been violated and they're now reps.

Even to be a FAA ASI violations are acceptable.

But politics do play a bigger role than background or credentials.

FYI I get a security alert with the web site. It tried to install malware.

Same here. Google claims that there was one report of a malware attempt in late September. I don't know if this makes it a real threat or not.

We have a couple down here that have been violated and they're now reps.

Even to be a FAA ASI violations are acceptable.

But politics do play a bigger role than background or credentials.

Agreed, if the violations are old, and depending on what they are. Sometimes a violation can really spark a positive change in someone.

I would be surprised if they had a surfeit of volunteers. Sounds suspiciously like unremunerated work.

As with any volunteer-type program I think you get the people that truly want to help but you also get that segment which does it to inflate their ego.

As with any volunteer-type program I think you get the people that truly want to help but you also get that segment which does it to inflate their ego.

Like the one we had around here that wore her "FAA" lanyard with her Fassteam ID and patrolled the airport playing safety inspector.

Like the one we had around here that wore her "FAA" lanyard with her Fassteam ID and patrolled the airport playing safety inspector.

3758-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Wow.

I've been highly unimpressed with the level of qualification required (or not) to be a FAAST rep in the past, but now... What a worthless mess. :mad2:

They no longer give out the old aviation safety counselor badges. I've got a little card that has my name, FAASTeam Rep, and the FAAST logo. It also says "volunteer" and doesn't have the FAA logo anywhere. Don't see how anyone could mistake it for an "official" credential.

Being a rep has been good from a networking and teaching standpoint - I've taught or facilitated 6 WINGS seminars and 4 CFI modules in the last year. It'll be useful when I eventually apply for the MCFI and MGI status.

I don't expect to do any airmen counseling for a while yet, the DC FSDO has quite a few senior CFIs who would do a lot better job. I haven't seen any ASI-wannabees running around in my group, but I am sure they are out there.

Unbelievable, this guy has either turned over a new leaf and mended his ways, or he has done a great job of snowing people. Admittedly, his videos aren't bad, but just knowing him and his past behavior, makes this whole set of videos hypocritical. Even AOPA has the set of videos on their newsletter.

Back