So how do you handle a situation like this?

He probably means it happens all the time. Saying NO ONE will let you do it is wrong. I had an engine out in a 172 once. Once the mechanic fixed it, they had a local cropduster pilot fly it off of the road while Sheriff's deputies blocked each end of the road. I've seen it three times now. I even have a news article and a photo of me from the news helicopter, so the press there and tried to interview me.

I have too; they were luckily in a flat area, no obstructions, and usually in the country, and all controlling agencies had to agree. Pretty rare, but helps if you know someone.

Venturing a guess, your situation was in a rural part of Texas.

Last edited:
i'd like to hear, as Paul Harvey would say, "...the rest of that story". including whether a warrant was issued or fine levied. gotta wonder what would've happened if something had gone wrong with the take off. oh, the liability and arrest.
As I recall the story, he never heard any more about it. Presumably the cop was too embarrassed about him getting away to even report it.

I've probably told the story here before, but years ago I made a precautionary landing on a pier in the Hudson River. The problem was resolved, and I spent the entire next day unsuccessfully trying to get permission to fly the plane back out. The cops wouldn't let me take off without permission from the property owner, and they wanted a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy, though they told me unofficially they'd prefer it if the plane "just disappeared."

Later that evening my wife and I drove down to the pier "just to check on the plane," and seeing nobody around, we climbed the fence, got in the plane, and "got the hell out of Dodge." This was followed, of course, by the expected certified letter from the FAA, but in the end they agreed that I hadn't violated any FARs. The local and state authorities agreed to forget about it if I promised to never land there again.

Midlifeflyer-you are right they can only make you present it. Haven't even thought about this for years and finding it took a while.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying life's blessings. Please be sure to register and vote! Remember and honor those who sacrificed to bring us this right.

Jon

A guy ferrying a 2 seat taildragger (iirc a Taylorcraft) in the winter put it down on I94 in ND due to a snow squall a few years ago. Took the next exit ramp and parked out of the way. When the weather cleared, the highway patrol stopped traffic and he was on his way. Of course, there is always some Karen convinced that he must have broken some laws. The FSDO stated that they rather deal with a couple of phonecalls for a plane on the highway than a crash and that no FAA regulations were involved. The highway patrol stated that they basically 'assisted a motorist' .

Back