So how dangerous is "catching a chain"?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
...while taxing on the ramp that is. At my flight school, we had ropes so taxing into the spot over the tie down wasn't anything to worry about. When I went to go checked out a a local flying club, the ramp used chains and they had a strict no taxi through policy to the tie down spot. Instructor said that "catching a chain" in the prop was too dangerous. Well, now that I have my own 182 I am in a tie down spot that uses chains while I wait on the hanger wait list and I am now paranoid every time I taxi through my spot or a transient spot when stopping at another airport.

My question is how dangerous really is catching a chain or is it just an overly cautious policy of that club?...I suspect clipping a wing would be more dangerous.

I don't taxi over ropes
Having said that, did anyone ever manage to pick up a chain with the prop?

I'd be just as (or more) afraid to taxi over a rope.

And yes, ropes, ratchet straps, chains, ladders and the like all can, and have been pulled into props

Why would a rope be less dangerous?

Pick up either with your prop and you are looking at tearing the engine down as a result of your prop strike.

I have no problem taxing over a chain to get in to my tie down position, but the key is to coast over them with an idling engine. Unless it's a particularly light chain, you don't really have a problem until you hit the gas. If you're hung up on something and your prop is over or real close to a chain, shut down and push the plane out of the way.

At the club where I did my private training, we flew Cherokee 140s and had chains for tie-downs. We always taxied in to the tie down area. Of course, the chains were pretty short for the PA28s. At that field the students were fairly ingenious at tearing up birds, but I never heard of one picking up a chain in the prop....

I always try to avoid taxing directly over anything lose. It's not difficult to avoid tie down chains by making a turning approach to the spot (assuming no obstacles). Plan your path carefully.

Id be more worried about a rope than a chain.

In terms of "How dangerous is...", how much does an engine tear-down cost?

There's also the question of "how likely?"

How dangerous is getting shot in the head with a .44? Very.
How likely is it? Not very.

I saw what happens when a twin starts an engine sitting over a chain. It wasn't pretty. Flail marks in the sheet metal forward of the door, prop was toast and the engine needed a teardown. The airplane had just been painted.

I saw what happens when a twin starts an engine sitting over a chain. It wasn't pretty. Flail marks in the sheet metal forward of the door, prop was toast and the engine needed a teardown. The airplane had just been painted.

Was that the Navajo I've heard about?

I believe it was. I didn't see it happen but I saw it soon after. It had to be a terrible experience for the pilot, to immediately realize he just screwed the pooch so to speak. At least no one was hurt.

I've seen what a rope can do to a prop. And it ain't pretty.
I kinda doubt, an idling engine in typical GA type aircraft will generate strong enough vortex to pick up a chain.
Either way, why risk it?

The previous owner of my 182 picked up a chain, installed a factory reman and a new prop! :yes: The engine was at TBO, so I don't know how or if the insurance paid all or part of the repair.:dunno:

I can imagine a rope being picked up much more easily than a chain.

I wouldn't taxi over or near any loose objects.

Dan

Maybe because of people like me who like to coil the chain over the eyelet so it looks like a pile of dog poop.

I've been doing it off and on for a decade, an never saw 'em move, let alone get sucked up. A good bet against it is to enter the back of the spot from an angle so the prop isn't right over the chain/rope, then swing the nose straight. Of the easier thing that I now do is to shut down avionics while taxiing on the ramp, then a bit before the parking spot while I still have a bit of speed, I'll just cut the mixture. That way the prop (and hobbs :D) have stopped, but I still have enough momentum to get all the way into the spot.

Anything done to save time vs just pulling the thing with a tow bar, is stupid. You may get away with stupid your whole life. Many do.

...while taxing on the ramp that is. At my flight school, we had ropes so taxing into the spot over the tie down wasn't anything to worry about. When I went to go checked out a a local flying club, the ramp used chains and they had a strict no taxi through policy to the tie down spot. Instructor said that "catching a chain" in the prop was too dangerous. Well, now that I have my own 182 I am in a tie down spot that uses chains while I wait on the hanger wait list and I am now paranoid every time I taxi through my spot or a transient spot when stopping at another airport.

My question is how dangerous really is catching a chain or is it just an overly cautious policy of that club?...I suspect clipping a wing would be more dangerous.

Is it "Your Spot"? If so, secure your chains before you leave, if not, due to their weight vs. aerodynamic qualities, I'll power into a spot with chains, I'll pull the mixtures and coast into a spot with ropes if the aren't secure.

Anything done to save time vs just pulling the thing with a tow bar, is stupid. You may get away with stupid your whole life. Many do.

Lol, you change your perspective in life when you start flying heavier planes. I'll drive on and off my tiedown and do it without causing destruction with my prop wash.

Lol, you change your perspective in life when you start flying heavier planes. I'll drive on and off my tiedown and do it without causing destruction with my prop wash.

Understand. Most of the chains around here are heavy and beefy and not nearly the worry a rope is.

But there's always that element of "you takes your spin and gets your chances"...

I guess it was just my way of sayin' "you break it, you get to keep both pieces".

Of course most of us have chosen to socialize our losses by having insurance, so we all pay for it anyway...

The school that I fly out of at KBJC does not provide a tow bar and requires renters to taxi over the tie down chains. I did a couple flights out of KVGT last year and one of the schools there does the same.

The school that I fly out of at KBJC does not provide a tow bar and requires renters to taxi over the tie down chains. I did a couple flights out of KVGT last year and one of the schools there does the same.

How many of their horizontal stabilizers are wrinkled per year?

How many of their horizontal stabilizers are wrinkled per year?

Haven't heard of any issues. Supposedly issues while moving planes with tow bars is what got them banned in the first place.

I can't complain because its much easier.

Haven't heard of any issues. Supposedly issues while moving planes with tow bars is what got them banned in the first place.

I can't complain because its much easier.

Fair enough. If you ever push down above a rib (always on a rib, right?!) and it moves, don't fly it.

We kinda like ya around here. ;)

Back