So diagnosed hyperthyroid is disqualifying?

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
Good afternoon,

Well after a few hours at the hospital today, the ol' doc thinks I might have a hyperthyroid issue. The level was just barely below normal, but wants me to see a cardiologist.

There's only 1 or 2 posts on here regarding that type of condition, but all are about pre-existing stuff. Should this prove to be a diagnosis of the condition, what are the steps I need to take to either retain my permission to fly, and/or report the incident as required?

Thanks for any help.

Hyperthryoid probably represents "graves's disease" which is what long ago Former First Lady Barbara Bush had. It's inflammatory and discharges lots of thyroid hormone.

It can be suppressed but is not stable until burned out.
Tapazole is commonly used, KI if in danger of "thyroid storm". This one is not certifiable until it is burned out, or burned low enough to suppress stably on tapazole. Many opt for I-131 ablation of the thyroid (after initial control and thyroid depletion, so as to prevent "storm").

In addition to an endocrinologist's letter (this SHOULD BE MANAGED BY THE GURU, and ENDOCRINOLOGIST) indicating the above, an 8500-7 declaring no double vision is required.

The disrhythmias associated with being hyperthyroid have to have completely resolved, and the cardiologist will have to state that- but only when the underlying disease is known, controlled and on the mend.

Which level is just low, because if it is the hormone(thyroxine, T4) you are hypothyroid, but if it is the TSH and the hormone is high then you are hyperthyroid.

Douglas, I have a low TSH, so my issue is a hyperthyroid.

Bruce, thanks very much. I'm pretty good at asking questions over and over until I get an explanation and solution that makes sense. I'll keep this post updated as thing progress.

Of course my health comes first, but it will be a sad day should I lose my privilege to fly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
If it turns out the way I've outlined, it will only be temporary....though not quick. Watch out for A Fib.

Managing the thyroid is an art. You can opt for a thyroidectomy if the problem persists.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back