So close...

1000RR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
1000RR
It's been almost 2 years since I started this trek to get my PPL. Lots of craziness - unexpected plane maintenance shutting the first plane (Piper) down for a few months, then changed to a 1956 172 (really cool plane), then Covid threw a twist to everything. After ~130hrs and a few hundred landings, my checkride was scheduled for today... and I would expect nothing else than a hurricane brewing in the Gulf (Elsa) to just keep the craziness rolling. We got through the oral (3-4hrs) and got to checking the weather and it was obvious to be a no-go for what we needed to do. So passed the oral and then I got a discontinuance for Elsa/Wx. Next Thursday for the flight portion. So close...

Started at 0830 and we were debriefing at about 1230. Had a couple breaks in there.

Dang, that’s a long oral for a Private!

Hold the course, you’ll get it done!

That’s good actually. With half behind you to can tackle the in-flight rested & with a confidence boost.

Last edited:
3-4 hours is about 2-3 hours longer than mine and that included reviewing my paperwork and my planned cross-country. The flight portion was exactly one hour on the hobbs. I guess I got cheated. :)

@RyanB no doubts there - will have her done in due time. That's kind of been my attitude all along. I quite worrying/thinking about hours/time/etc. long ago and just took the mindset of letting it just happen and focusing on becoming a good pilot versus just becoming a pilot quickly. Holding the course for sure.

I agree with you @rhkennerly. Part of me was hoping for a discontinuance so 1) I could have a fresh mind for the flight and 2) we could do an earlier morning flight before the heat/clouds/and winds kicked up.

@DFH65 you definitely got cheated - I'd suggest you contact your DPE right away and request the other couple hours for additional oral examination :)

@DFH65 you definitely got cheated - I'd suggest you contact your DPE right away and request the other couple hours for additional oral examination :)

Unfortunately he was killed in an after maintenance accident (although it may have been fuel starvation) many years later. He is the one that reminds me it can happen to anyone even someone with thousands of hours and experience. Be vigilant.

Unfortunately he was killed in an after maintenance accident (although it may have been fuel starvation) many years later. He is the one that reminds me it can happen to anyone even someone with thousands of hours and experience. Be vigilant.
Wow, a stark reminder.

3-4 hours is about 2-3 hours longer than mine and that included reviewing my paperwork and my planned cross-country. The flight portion was exactly one hour on the hobbs. I guess I got cheated. :)

Take a CFI initial ride back in the day (2000 for me) with the Feds (before they handed off initial CFI rides to senior DPEs. 7 hour oral, 2 hr in the air. Felt like the FAA inspector put a shop vac hose in my ear and sucked out every last neuron.

FWIW, talking to another inspector a couple years later...the person I took my ride with had a reputation of being a stone crusher. Just lucked out, I guess. But passed on the first try, which, for him, was an anomaly (he had a 10% initial pass rate for the CFI...guess he was feeling generous that day...)

Take a CFI initial ride back in the day (2000 for me) with the Feds (before they handed off initial CFI rides to senior DPEs. 7 hour oral, 2 hr in the air. Felt like the FAA inspector put a shop vac hose in my ear and sucked out every last neuron.

FWIW, talking to another inspector a couple years later...the person I took my ride with had a reputation of being a stone crusher. Just lucked out, I guess. But passed on the first try, which, for him, was an anomaly (he had a 10% initial pass rate for the CFI...guess he was feeling generous that day...)

Or you nailed it..

Back