So, airplanes CAN talk dirty...

Inverted

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Inverted
fvl1ci.jpg

Mine has one of those... great conversation starter!

Ok - yes, funny, but serious question for the guy who doesn't know.... What is it for?

Spike; Is that called the Schwing! knob?

51dJ-8DGB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

yes...I've only noticed them on the DA-20 (C172s don't use them)...but I still don't understand why they are needed...or more to the point, why the Atitude indicator needs to be "caged"
It's for aerobatics. Some of them may even be damaged when they thumble.

Ya in the case of the plane I am flying (Beech 99) its to center it while it spools up as it is an electric unit. Some units will cage, and lock so they don't damage the unit. The Marchetti has a cage and lock mechanism to do aerobatics.

Does that mean to make it centered and level?

Yep.

Spike; Is that called the Schwing! knob?

51dJ-8DGB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Maybe it oughta be!

---

On mine, it is spring-loaded, so I don't think it is intended for use as a caged and locked device, but instead only as a fast-setup knob. It can take a couple of minutes to erect itself, but as long as the motor-speed flag is up, I can "Quick-Erect" it, and it is good to go.

It is, by the way, a Castleberry unit.

Reminds me of the joke about the newlyweds... he very experienced, she rather naive... on their wedding night, he tells her "OK, so remember: if you want sex, pull it once. If you don't want sex, pull it about 100 times."

:D

> Its to cage the AI

On my Castleberry AI, it does not cage the AI. Rather, it centers everything, without
having to wait for the gyros to fully spin-up and wait for it to right/align.

A lot of them will say pull to cage which to them means centering everything. At least in that instance.

Wait till I take a pic of the "man heat" switch when I get back to the plane this afternoon, this plane is filthy lol.

Pic as promised:

b624xl.jpg

This model has man heat and man cool. Its nice, in the winter a man comes from the back and bear hugs you when you switch the dial to it. In the summer the man blows on you...

Sexist switch. If a girl is flying the plane, they can't get heating or cooling? ;)

yes...I've only noticed them on the DA-20 (C172s don't use them)...but I still don't understand why they are needed...or more to the point, why the Atitude indicator needs to be "caged"

Most any plane that is used for spins and/or aerobatics will have a caging rack to prevent the gyro from racking to the stop and getting tumbled.

Sexist switch. If a girl is flying the plane, they can't get heating or cooling? ;)

No no, clearly you need to fly a Beech 99. Its not who its for, its who does the heating or cooling. Whenever you select a switch, a burly man comes out and provides the cooling or warmth to whoever wants it. :p

No, I think you have to have a pool first and I don't... However, Kevin, my hubby, is my line boy

Most any plane that is used for spins and/or aerobatics will have a caging rack to prevent the gyro from racking to the stop and getting tumbled.

From my "I've always wondered about this, but am seldom in conversations about caging the AI"-File -- when is this done in the sequence? Do you cage the AI right before the maneuver?

From my "I've always wondered about this, but am seldom in conversations about caging the AI"-File -- when is this done in the sequence? Do you cage the AI right before the maneuver?

I cage em before I start aerobatics and don't un-cage em until I'm heading home. The AI when doing aerobatics is out the windows, the precision guidance stuff is out on the wings, no need for gyros. I remember when BF Goodrich came out with their EFIS AI about 20 years ago, they had it in Patty Wagstaff's airplane, that was a hell of an advertising statement.

BTW, "Fast Erect" gyros are really nice if you have venturii vacuum.

Yep.

Maybe it oughta be!

---

On mine, it is spring-loaded, so I don't think it is intended for use as a caged and locked device, but instead only as a fast-setup knob. It can take a couple of minutes to erect itself, but as long as the motor-speed flag is up, I can "Quick-Erect" it, and it is good to go.

It is, by the way, a Castleberry unit.
I have the same gyro in my airplane. Like most self contained electrically driven horizon gyros, this unit uses airflow generated by the spinning rotor to power the erection mechanism (same "pendulous vanes" found in air driven gyros) but since their ability to apply force increases exponentially with rotor RPM (i.e. very slowly until the rotor is nearly at full speed) while the force needed increases linearly, these gyros don't erect from a full stop as quickly as air driven ones. But they will be ready to go within a few minutes of applying power unless they were restarted while still spinning but well off kilter. And that's the only time (restart after a short shutdown) that you need the quick erect function IME.

Back