Snowplowing hail near KAPA

Anyway, the hail happens just about every year around here.

We get it bad at work. My co-worker has had the entire exterior of his new Subaru rebuilt twice now.

And as the locals know the body shops get backed up for months after a good hail storm.

Waiting four to six months for your preferred shop while you drive your divoted golf ball car around while waiting, is common.

I’m sure if I looked carefully the roof of the Yukon is probably lightly hail damaged, Karen’s truck has had the roof removed and replaced once already, the cargo trailer looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to the aluminum roof, and only the Subaru and the Dodge are currently unscathed.

No vehicle I’ve owned has ever NOT had hail damage here. Hail nearly totaled a Geo Metro I owned once, but I may or may not have been a touch too close to that tornado producing storm and may or may not have taken a dirt road that didn’t leave me an “out” that day while storm spotting. Ha. Oops.

Have I mentioned it’s really loud in a Geo Metro when hail large enough to break the windshield is hitting it? LOL LOL LOL.

Ahhh young and stupid. Now I’m just old and stupid. :)

I’ve also had one house roof replaced because of it and a back porch awning.

And that doesn’t count the awning that came down under the weight of three feet of heavy wet snow in March of 2003. Knocked the electric meter right out of its socket. Bang. Big bang. Very glad I wasn’t under it when it went. I was back there near the back yard running the snowblower up and down the side driveway at the old house when the supports buckled and it came down.

Insurance companies hate our hail.

We get it bad at work. My co-worker has had the entire exterior of his new Subaru rebuilt twice now.

And as the locals know the body shops get backed up for months after a good hail storm.

Waiting four to six months for your preferred shop while you drive your divoted golf ball car around while waiting, is common.

I’m sure if I looked carefully the roof of the Yukon is probably lightly hail damaged, Karen’s truck has had the roof removed and replaced once already, the cargo trailer looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to the aluminum roof, and only the Subaru and the Dodge are currently unscathed.

No vehicle I’ve owned has ever NOT had hail damage here. Hail nearly totaled a Geo Metro I owned once, but I may or may not have been a touch too close to that tornado producing storm and may or may not have taken a dirt road that didn’t leave me an “out” that day while storm spotting. Ha. Oops.

Have I mentioned it’s really loud in a Geo Metro when hail large enough to break the windshield is hitting it? LOL LOL LOL.

Ahhh young and stupid. Now I’m just old and stupid. :)

I’ve also had one house roof replaced because of it and a back porch awning.

And that doesn’t count the awning that came down under the weight of three feet of heavy wet snow in March of 2003. Knocked the electric meter right out of its socket. Bang. Big bang. Very glad I wasn’t under it when it went. I was back there near the back yard running the snowblower up and down the side driveway at the old house when the supports buckled and it came down.

Insurance companies hate our hail.
How do you know it's late spring in Colorado?

The sound of roofing nailers firing all day long...

How do you know it's late spring in Colorado?

The sound of roofing nailers firing all day long...

LOL. True! Never thought of it though.

At the old house my neighbors were sooooooo mad when I had called a good roofing contractor about five minutes after the storm that did in my roof there. We had the new roof on months before anyone else had theirs done that year.

We stopped by the old neighborhood to talk to the neighbors who we liked and he showed me some photos of damage a couple years after we moved out here.

Apparently they got quarter sized or a little bigger hail going sideways and it took out everyone’s siding in the entire neighborhood. The photos looked like someone had repeatedly fired a shotgun at paper, but it was the whole north side of all the houses.

Our siding on the house was on it at that house from the mid 90s until mid 2000s so that particular type of damage isn’t common, but he said the insurance paid out a LOT of money in the neighborhood that year. (We bought it in 2001.)

Even the houses that had exposed brick and hadn’t done siding or stucco over the decades had all the trim pieces smacked up and a number had windows shattered. Looked like we missed quite a wild storm there in the old ‘hood.

LOL. True! Never thought of it though.

At the old house my neighbors were sooooooo mad when I had called a good roofing contractor about five minutes after the storm that did in my roof there. We had the new roof on months before anyone else had theirs done that year.

We stopped by the old neighborhood to talk to the neighbors who we liked and he showed me some photos of damage a couple years after we moved out here.

Apparently they got quarter sized or a little bigger hail going sideways and it took out everyone’s siding in the entire neighborhood. The photos looked like someone had repeatedly fired a shotgun at paper, but it was the whole north side of all the houses.

Our siding on the house was on it at that house from the mid 90s until mid 2000s so that particular type of damage isn’t common, but he said the insurance paid out a LOT of money in the neighborhood that year. (We bought it in 2001.)

Even the houses that had exposed brick and hadn’t done siding or stucco over the decades had all the trim pieces smacked up and a number had windows shattered. Looked like we missed quite a wild storm there in the old ‘hood.
We had a storm last year with the sideways stuff. Sideways golfball sized stuff. My windows survived amazingly enough. Some of the neighbors not so much. The vinyl siding on the upstairs didn't survive. The vinyl siding on the gable survived...because it was mostly floated. I had to add lots of nailers to replace the gable siding correctly. The brickwork didn't even notice the storm. Maybe I should brick the roof...

Does anybody tie down their planes outside there? That would destroy an airplane.

Does anybody tie down their planes outside there? That would destroy an airplane.

It does. It hit one of the EAA big bombers here one summer also.

Personally I think a lot of our airplanes at APA that aren’t under the coverings or in hangars are purposefully parked uncovered so the owner can cash in on the insurance check at the next hailstorm that hits the airport.

But I guess some folks think they’ll get away with it.

A downpour plus hail and wind collapsed the roof of one of the enormous corporate hangars a couple summers ago. Jets inside. Big mess. Don’t want to know what that insurance claim ran.

Yes and yes. One of the touring B-17s was hail damaged at KAPA a few years ago. Mostly control surface damage since those are fabric covered. A POA poster had an airplane totaled in that storm IIRC.

Under my feet...

Actually my butt. I was seated.

Yeah, when the very foundation we live on starts shaking, it gets my attention.

One time in Alaska, I was in my apartment when the ground started shaking. In a coincidental one in a million shot, the lumber company across the street dumped a big load of something in the dumpster making a sound I interpreted as the building falling down. I grabbed my wife and beat it outside thinking the sky was tumbling down, a tumbling down....

I didn’t mind the little quakes. It was the 7.2 (albeit a long ways away in the Desert, the Landers quake) that convinced me I don’t like moving ground. Not at all.
In all the times I visited, the four years I lived here in the 70's and the almost-a-year I've lived here currently, I've never felt a big earthquake. My mom and aunt were living in this condo during Loma Prieta. The only thing I remember my mom saying about it was that she jumped up to grab an ornamental doll, then considered that it was a silly thing to do. I think that was the last big earthquake here.

One time in Alaska, I was in my apartment when the ground started shaking. In a coincidental one in a million shot, the lumber company across the street dumped a big load of something in the dumpster making a sound I interpreted as the building falling down. I grabbed my wife and beat it outside thinking the sky was tumbling down, a tumbling down....
Yesterday I had to debate whether or not it was really an earthquake, or a bus or truck going by, so I checked the USGS website.

I didn’t mind the little quakes. It was the 7.2 (albeit a long ways away in the Desert, the Landers quake) that convinced me I don’t like moving ground. Not at all.

Little quakes make the big one not so big, right? :)

In any case, up to a certain point size isn't as concerning as whether or not the infrastructure is designed and built to withstand it.

Back