Snow!!

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
We're getting quite a buildup here in Baltimore. Time for me to get on the roads so I can get home by, oh...7. :)

See you folks later. :)

Greebo said:
We're getting quite a buildup here in Baltimore. Time for me to get on the roads so I can get home by, oh...7. :)

See you folks later. :)
Hey Chuck!

Bummer, ain't it? Between the weather, having the R22 up at MPO these past 3 weeks for a 100 hour inspection (frustrating, to say the least), and the fact that my Cherokee goes into annual next week, it's been a lousy few weeks for flying!

Dontcha love WeatherTAP, though?

Bob

RotaryWingBob said:
Hey Chuck!

Bummer, ain't it? Between the weather, having the R22 up at MPO these past 3 weeks for a 100 hour inspection (frustrating, to say the least), and the fact that my Cherokee goes into annual next week, it's been a lousy few weeks for flying!

Dontcha love WeatherTAP, though?

Bob

Bob,

If you want to fall in love... check out AccuWeather.com "Professional". That and a copy of BUFKIT and you can turn your home PC into an AWIPS-caliber workstation!

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/pro_benefits.asp

Mix in their Platnium radar pacakge...

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/radarplus_benefits.asp?

We're talking customizeable radar, forecasts, and the whole nine yards.

Seriously, I'm in love.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who is watching the first flakes fall in Woonsocket, RI from his office window

I talked to someone in London today - snow there, too.

It is 60 here, cloudy, though the TSRA held off today.

Another excellent weather utility - if you have a cell-phone with color LCD display, http://www.my-cast.com - Pilot My-Cast -real time weather, radar, metars and tafs to your cell phone.

A great utility to have on your belt when you're at a fly in at po-dunk-usa airport and they don't even have a phone you can use to call FSS - or you really want to see that weather map for yourself.

Works with all major phone carriers. $10ish a month - GREAT value!

I work from hom all the time. You can't beat the commute, but it gets a little weird sometimes. Or maybe it's just me.

Ken Ibold said:
I work from hom all the time. You can't beat the commute, but it gets a little weird sometimes. Or maybe it's just me.

It's not just you.

I work from home. My wardrobe has changed completely. My "commute" is, as a friend of mine said, "Oh, my feet are on the floor, I'm at work." :)

Caller ID is a blessing.

Re: Working at home

Carol said:
It's not just you.

I work from home. My wardrobe has changed completely. My "commute" is, as a friend of mine said, "Oh, my feet are on the floor, I'm at work." :)

Caller ID is a blessing.

What kind of work do you do?

The hardest adjustment for me was going from having a staff of lackeys and a few colleagues to having the dog. I know it's a bad day when I find myself waiting for her to answer a question I just asked.

What strategies do you have to keeping involved with coworkers/clients/peers?

Ken Ibold said:

The hardest adjustment for me was going from having a staff of lackeys and a few colleagues to having the dog. I know it's a bad day when I find myself waiting for her to answer a question I just asked.

I manage the $$ for a couple of family businesses. I never really had a staff for that, just an office I would dress up and go into. I realized I could do everything from here so I quit going in.

I have found that my social skills have changed (diminished?) Maybe I should get a dog.

I used to be an operating room supervisor and then headed the PR and marketing department for a big hospital so I was in daily contact with a many people. Not so sure I'd ever want to go back to that kind of environment though.

Trouble is, since I started flying I quit going to the meetings of the civic organizations I am in. The people I see most frequently are pilots. My other friends have become tangential. From what other pilots have told me this is not uncommon. But tie that to working at home and there's a real potential for becoming a hermit :)

I am not complaining. Pilots are fun folks to be around.

Ken Ibold said:

Ken,

I manage a bunch of folks who are all over the world - primarially in India and all over the states. In fact, I'm working on a project now where we'll have 90% of our team travelling between 40 cities over the next 2 years.

I've found that a) planning a night of eating out / drinks / etcetera on my dime (or the company dime) every time a large enough group of folks are in town b) bringing in everyones social life (I ask about their family, by name) to normal touch base conversations. Even though we are all around, all over, we still stay connected even though we are all pretty insulated from each other.

This works for me... but I work in an office and have folks around me, but the people who work for me seem to keep coming back :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back