Snow in Atlanta

That is some serious parking in known icing.....

I wonder if any of them have three-wheel drive, and traction control for that ramp. o_OHopefully the pilots know to stay off the brakes and leave 6 seconds of spacing. ;)

ATR-72s have tailstands for ground ops. Here's one I flew.

433576.jpg

Welcome to the south dude. It’s always been the same here in SE Tennessee. A dusting of snow and the grocery stores are cleaned out of eggs, bread and milk!

I don't know about you, but whenever I see the snowflakes fly, I get a powerful hankerin' for some French Toast. i bet if you check on the spice aisle, there's a run on cinnamon as well. :p

I think the only smart drivers in snow are the ones going slow. It is hard. You don’t know it until the back end slides it the brakes don't brake.
Thinking you can drive somewhat normally is what causes the accidents.
In Atlanta I’m guessing even moreso, as the closer the temp is to 32, the slicker the snow.

You got it. It was 33 degrees most of the day, varying between sleet, rain, and wet snow. That was an impressive amount of water for a winter frozen precipitation system. How much of it comes down as snow really depends on exactly what the weather system is doing in any local area, you can be in one spot that gets maybe an inch, where we got almost six inches measurable where I was, and that was preceded by rain and sleet.

It's cold here too. I had to find my windbreaker this morning. :rofl:

Nauga,
a creature of comfort

Its gonna be ugly here overnight and in the morning. Lots of the secondary roads were very wet with snowmelt when I arrived home after an errand. It was 33-34 degrees when I got home just after dark. I'm sure the wet roads will start freezing again by 10 or 12 this evening.

And in the morning? Skating rink...

Its gonna be ugly here overnight and in the morning. Lots of the secondary roads were very wet with snowmelt when I arrived home after an errand. It was 33-34 degrees when I got home just after dark. I'm sure the wet roads will start freezing again by 10 or 12 this evening.

Along with the ATL rush hours!

It wasn't bad. Those spots that had refrozen were nice and crunchy, provided you didn't ask too much of them they were passable. All the traffic lanes of the bigger streets were dry. Parts of the turn lanes were still snowpacked, but if you took it easy they were passable as well.

The roads were pretty dry on my commute this morning. I live in Vinings, just inside the perimeter at the northwest corner (I-285 & I-75), and work in downtown. I heard some of the roads further out in Cobb County were still icy.

The roads were pretty nice yesterday morning as well. We didn't go far, but where we did go the roads were fine. Some ice and snow in the parking lots, but not on the roads. Forecast is for a high of 56* and sunny today, so that should help melt the remaining snow and ice.

I also frequently take the car into an empty parking lot to test the car's limits. What does it take to get the car to start sliding? How do I recover from it? etc.
Handbrake turns with a trailer. Have some fun.

Back