SNJ6 Ground Loop - 5C1 - 5/8/20

TCABM

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
3G
Appears to be a long time owner, but I don’t know if he was flying it that day.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/05/north-american-snj-6-texan-n3238g.html?m=1

968ee00b85ceaeed1e4bc1169fa5750f.jpg

I’ve seen it flying regularly, last time before this was late April/early May.

Aw bummer. I know that plane. I think I saw it out in Midland about a month ago doing some formation work with a few other T-6 types.

Highest Injury: NONE At least there’s that.

Hope the airplane gets to flying again soon.

Hopefully it will be repaired and flying again.

I turned down a flight in that plane once. Nice guy, beautifully maintained airplane. Looks like a pretty hard ground loop to bust the landing gear like that.

If it was the owner flying it, it is a sober reminder that a moment of inattention or distraction can bite very experienced pilots. I believe he's raced at Reno, flown that plane probably for decades.

...Looks like a pretty hard ground loop to bust the landing gear like that...

I’m curious to see if the aircraft left the runway during the loop and left MLG impacted concrete. That’s kind of the only thing that makes sense to me.

Wow, that would be really recent imagery. I’m going back out Friday morning and will take a closer look.
Uh, I was talking about the picture posted above showing the tire track and trying to match it up to the background houses...

I can't think of ANY analogy to compare this statement to ... this phrase is just wrong:confused::confused:;)
LOL, I guess I shouldn't have said it, and it had nothing to do with the airplane, and I've often wondered if I should have made it work...

LOL, I guess I shouldn't have said it, and it had nothing to do with the airplane, and I've often wondered if I should have made it work...

Just giving you a hard time ... you didn't happen to turn down a ride in Fifi?;)

I've only had to turn down a ride ONCE, and I was mad having to do it. A free ride on a private jet to Las Vegas ... I had to decline for a wedding later that evening ... I had zero fun at that wedding thinking about that missed ride:mad:

Just giving you a hard time ... you didn't happen to turn down a ride in Fifi?;)

I've only had to turn down a ride ONCE, and I was mad having to do it. A free ride on a private jet to Las Vegas ... I had to decline for a wedding later that evening ... I had zero fun at that wedding thinking about that missed ride:mad:

Anything more significant than a shaving cut is a valid excuse to miss a wedding!

a moment of inattention or distraction can bite very experienced pilots.

I was taught to think of the T-6/SNJ as a dominatrix...she wants to have fun with you, but she also is going to take pleasure in getting out her riding crop and giving you a workout with it, especially if you say the wrong thing to her.

Uh, I was talking about the picture posted above showing the tire track and trying to match it up to the background houses...

Gotcha, now I see what your saying. Don’t know how recently you’ve been to 5C1, but where the plane is parked at is next to a new set of hangars on the east side that went up near the south entry/exit to 35.

They started construction on those a few months ago along with a new building for the flight school.

New owner in the front seat, previous owner in the rear seat. Front seater let it get away from him. Airplane ended up partially off the runway near a crossing taxiway on the west side of runway. Side load on the gear combined with leaving the pavement, collapsed the right gear.

New owner in the front seat, previous owner in the rear seat. Front seater let it get away from him. Airplane ended up partially off the runway near a crossing taxiway on the west side of runway. Side load on the gear combined with leaving the pavement, collapsed the right gear.
That makes a whole lot more sense, and still stinks.

Looks better on a jack stand, but still hurts to see.
fa419097094aae595454db845efb354b.jpg

...but are you still married? :p

I was taught to think of the T-6/SNJ as a dominatrix...she wants to have fun with you, but she also is going to take pleasure in getting out her riding crop and giving you a workout with it, especially if you say the wrong thing to her.

The T6 is a very easy airplane to fly....until it isn’t. It’s a very fine but unforgiving line when you cross it.

biggest of oofs. I remember that plane from my days at 5C1.

Back