Snaps

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Just a quick video trying to capture some snap roll inputs. Camera angle wasn't as low as I'd like, but gives some idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsOebq1Zfq4

Not acro related, but coming back yesterday the sun was at just the right angle to create a cool shadow of the airplane on short final. Sometimes I'll turn overhead upwind and do a power-off 360 for fun if I end up behind a "normal" plane in the pattern. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ_hmbbDg4E

I was out there watching after I landed yesterday. Seems like you were having a good time. I still have to come check out your airplane someday.

Nate

I will just have to enjoy these vicariously, not in my plans.

Ernie, does your airplane have a POH, and does it say anything about snaps? The Waco is a stout airplane, and I would imagine it would handle snaps fine at proper airspeeds, and without too much fuel in the tank. But if I had a Waco, I'd probably pass on snapping it too. I definitely wouldn't snap it unless you have a wood prop.

Ernie, does your airplane have a POH, and does it say anything about snaps? The Waco is a stout airplane, and I would imagine it would handle snaps fine at proper airspeeds, and without too much fuel in the tank. But if I had a Waco, I'd probably pass on snapping it too. I definitely wouldn't snap it unless you have a wood prop.

I do have a wood prop, but I also have a lot of other stuff, including electric gyros (I pull the breakers before engine start for aero). But it's really the pilot I worry about, he's a little slow.

A little humor: the only snap I have ever done was in a T-28A. On my last ride with my instructor, after I finished all the check ride prep, he asked if there was anything else I wanted to do. I had heard of snaps, he had described how to do them (they were prohibited). He asked if I remembered entry. I said yes. He said " go for it." I did. I didn't know how to stop, and I suspect the airspeed was pretty high. 2 1/2 rolls later I was inverted, disoriented, and my instructor was laughing his a$$ off in the back. Fond memory.

Ernie, that's a great story. I would've loved to have seen yalls faces.

Back