Snakes Alive!!

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Gotta admit, this would have had me squealing something fierce!!

http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2006060222/

Snake on a plane
[SIZE=-1]Friday June 02, 2006[/SIZE]

http://phpads.cnpapers.com/adclick....id=0&source=&dest=http://bfcc.kana.tec.wv.us/
adlog.php

When Monty Coles lifted his small plane into the air for a leisurely flight over the West Virginia countryside, he didn't know a blacksnake had stowed away inside the airplane's instrument panel.
"As far as I was concerned, everything was fine," said Coles, a 62-year-old private pilot from Cross Lanes. "I did a very cautious pre-flight check on the plane because it has a fairly new engine. I didn't find a single thing out of order."
As Coles prepared to land for gas in Gallipolis, Ohio, this past Saturday, the 4 1/2-foot snake revealed itself.
"I looked up and saw the snake's head sticking out of a hole in the instrument panel," he said.
At that moment, Coles said his thoughts flashed back to his flight training 25 years ago. "Nothing in any of the manuals ever described anything like this," he deadpanned. But (instructor) Benny Mallory gave me the best advice I ever got -- ‘No matter what happens, fly the plane.' "
As the snake poked its head farther outside the panel, Coles tried to whack it with a handheld radio.
"Batteries went flying everywhere, and the snake dropped down out of the instrument panel and landed at my feet under the rudder pedals," Coles said. "I tried to open my door and kick it out, but it shot across the cabin floor and climbed up the door on the other side."
While maintaining control of the plane with one hand, Coles used his other hand to grab the snake just behind its head.
"There was no way I was letting that thing go. It coiled all around my arm, and its tail grabbed hold of a lever on the floor and started pulling," Coles said. "I think it was as scared as I was. After all, it had never flown before."
With one hand on the steering yoke and the other wrestling the snake, the by-then-desperate pilot radioed ahead for help.
"I asked for priority clearance to land," he said. "They came back and asked what my problem was. I told them I had one hand full of snake and the other hand full of plane. They cleared me in."
Coles landed the plane one-handed.
"Some of my friends were there and saw the landing," he said. "They told me I should fly with snakes more often, because that was the smoothest landing they'd ever seen me make."
After posing for a few photos with the reptilian intruder, Coles released it into some nearby weeds. "That snake resides in Ohio now," he said. "I wasn't about to bring it home. I don't mind snakes, but I sure like to know where they are."

Well heck, good thing it was a nice black snake, and not a copperhead or rattlesnake. I'm glad he was OK. Uh--the pilot. And the snake.

This one wouldn't be alive much after this stunt...

-Skip

Attachments

• snakebite.jpg
    snakebite.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 5
I LOVE this story:

100 Years Ago
DeHaven — Half a dozen little children belonging to Mr. S.B. Luttrell and Mr. John C. Clark, near here, were playing along a small stream of water one day recently, when a large black snake rushed upon them.

The little children ran a short distance and finding the reptile close in pursuit, stopped and tried to scare the snake away, calling loudly for help.

What might have happened no one could tell, had not Mr. Oswald Lamp, who was working in a nearby field, come to their assistance.

Mr. Lamp, being an expert snake-killer, ran up, caught the snake by the tail, threw it around in a circle like a whip, severing its head completely as if cutoff by a knife.

Mr. Lamp did not notice what became of the snake’s head until after taking the little children to their home. Their mother discovered the snake’s head attached by one of its fangs to Mr. Lamp’s shirt.- May 29, 1906

http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/060531/Area_past.asp

Back