Smoothies

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Sharing for the kitchen challenged among us...

Generally I like smoothies...but when I make them at home they are usually just "meh" plus it can be tough to keep fresh ingredients on hand or when you get one from Jamba Juice it that is any good it is loaded with ice cream or a sorbet and cost a fortune.

...until I was up at my folks house for the holidays and decided to just toss one together with things they had layin around:

1 frozen banana
handfull frozen strawberries
3/4" chunk frozen fresh ginger root
2 heaping teaspoons honey
Martinellie's Sparking Apple Cider (or fresh pressed apple cider also worked)

Blend up and holy cow it is amazing. Just loaded up freezer with ingredients to keep on hand!

yea.. you can buy a package of mixed, frozen fruit... I use a protein supplement rather than cider and a heaping handful of spinach and a little ginseng... run in the vitamix and you get good plus healthy! Not every morning anymore... lotta calories in dare!

I cut up bananas and vacuum package and freeze them for later use. They stay fresh and do not change colors.

I put a little ice and chocolate syrup in. Just like chocolate banana ice cream without the ice cream.

The other day I found some frozen watermelon balls (I know) at the store and did a watermelon smoothie. It came out pretty good.

I'm a smoothie fan too. But only when it's warm out.

yea.. you can buy a package of mixed, frozen fruit... I use a protein supplement rather than cider and a heaping handful of spinach and a little ginseng... run in the vitamix and you get good plus healthy! Not every morning anymore... lotta calories in dare!

"Healthy" is relative IMO. While some believe all sugars are evil I am a big proponent of natural sugars in fruit and honey as part of healthy eating choices. I shoot for two pieces of fruit a day and use honey as my sweetener and that alone has almost completely curbed my craving for processed sugars. Dropped from 240 to 210 in just a few months not doing much more than that. Not a diet, just better choices. My smoothie is sweet enough to be a dessert yet all natural sugars.

I'm a smoothie fan too. But only when it's warm out.
Me too. I usually add some frozen yogurt (that is, yogurt frozen into cubes. Not the "frozen yogurt" they sell in ice cream stores that I doubt has any yogurt in it). Frozen bananas, and whatever frozen fruit I have around. Yummy, but very filling and calorific. If I make one its my meal.

We use a cup of crushed ice, a 2 big tablespoons of vanilla yogurt, bananas, and either strawberries or blueberries. We normally use orange juice or pineapple juice as the liquid medium. We also use honey if sweetening is needed, but usually leave it out. Pineapple chunks and bananas w/orange juice is another "tropical" concoction which tastes good. We use one of the "bullet" style blenders so we can make single-servings fairly easily.

Back