Smoked ribs

Smoked ribs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here are some before and after back ribs from last year’s June contest (canceled this year).

636D9AB9-9FD1-4183-8629-DA3FCD742262.jpeg

40C86BC1-FA5F-48E2-8CD4-0329023EDCAB.jpeg

I do both of them depending on my mood. Most of the people I cook for (my wife for sure) prefer baby backs. I thought you were going to ask something really meaningful like wet vs. dry.

I did something like 18 racks of baby backs for my wife's 60th birthday party (used the pig cooker). Our New Years Day party usually involves three briskets, a bunch of ribs, and some chickens. Memorial Day is the whole pig. We're not even going to discuss the baked potato incident (I cooked enough baked potatoes for one of our flyin after parties to fill an 120 Qt igloo cooler).

Memphis style going on the egg yesterday over hickory. Leftovers for dinner tonight. :D

bTZfYpq.jpg

I usually do mine with just a dry rub but the wife likes them wet, I found this recipe and used a combination of my own rub and Grill Mates Applewood Rub instead of the Rec Tec rubs in the video. I do them on my Weber gas grill and use a mix of Hickory and Apple chunks. Came out pretty good if I do say so myself and the wife was very happy.

Next spring I'm getting a real smoker and will be trying cold smoking some mozzarella this fall.

I do the 3-2-1 and adjust for temperature. The sun in Texas makes the BGE hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter. I cook in the rain and snow (in Ohio), so keeping a constant temperature is not easy.

Smoking meat is not a easy task. It is worth the effort.

I think we know who's gonna be in charge of the grill next Rough River meetup! absolutely no offense to the glorious effort put forth by @masloki
No offense taken. If I’m not grilling then that means more...what happens at Rough River.

I do the 3-2-1 and adjust for temperature. The sun in Texas makes the BGE hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter. I cook in the rain and snow (in Ohio), so keeping a constant temperature is not easy.

Smoking meat is not a easy task. It is worth the effort.

The heat has never bothered me much (its easy to modulate the fire downward). I've had some fun keeping the pig cooker UP to temperature when using it in January (even in our relatively mild winters here in NC). I threw an old sleeping bag over it for insulation one time.

The heat has never bothered me much (its easy to modulate the fire downward). I've had some fun keeping the pig cooker UP to temperature when using it in January (even in our relatively mild winters here in NC). I threw an old sleeping bag over it for insulation one time.
When I had a Weber smoker I used to use a heavy duty moving blanket.

Hmmm. I vote for making some of each and trying the difference.

Baby backs are my go-to, but I have never refused a St. Louis style rib.

But...since I get the whole spares and trim to St Louis style myself, I end up with all sorts of riblets and other snacks to nibble on that I don't get from back ribs.
This. This is what I do.

Back