SMOH followed by SPOH w/i a couple hundred hours

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I'm looking at a plane with a Lyc O-540 3600TT. What concerns me is the 320 SMOH is followed by 190 SPOH. What would this tell you?

Richard said:
I'm looking at a plane with a Lyc O-540 3600TT. What concerns me is the 320 SMOH is followed by 190 SPOH. What would this tell you?

AD on the prop came due, and since there was some time left on the prop when he did the engine, he waited on the prop to disperse the costs around a bit. Nothing necessarily untowards about this.

Tim said:
That the prop and the engine where recently overhauled??
So you don't think anything suspicious of the major followed by a partial overhaul so soon? I know, I know, it could mean a lot of things but with just a quick glance does anything jump out at you?

What jumps out at me is that you have not read tim and henning's replies.
SPOH generally means since PROPELLER overhaul. The prop was not overhauled at the time the engine was. No big deal. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

The owner probably just wanted a breather for his bank account before tossing another $5-6K into the plane.

I think richard is wondering if there was a possible prop srtike after the engine work was done. Did you look at the FAA database for the tail number Richard?

Send me an e-mail with the N-number and I can check it out for you. However I don't see a problem, but I do beleive there was a AD on the propeller that came out big bucks.

Stache

Jeff Oslick said:
The owner probably just wanted a breather for his bank account before tossing another $5-6K into the plane.

That's exactly what it would tell you about my plane.:yes:

Richard said:
What would this tell you?
Very little without more information -- there are a lot of innocent reasons it could have been done this way as well as the chance that there was a prop strike. So you have to do some research with the seller and the logs and repair orders to find out the real reason before you lay down your hard-earned cash.

TO: all

SUBJECT: disregard this post due to incompetence on my part. Or, if you're feeling benevolent, because of my posting at such a late hour when I should have been in bed.

Richard said:
TO: all

SUBJECT:Or, if you're feeling benevolent, because of my posting at such a late hour when I should have been in bed.
Works for me. Some of my better mistakes have occurred when posting after my bedtime. I take it you've now figured out that the 'P' "SPOH" means Prop not Partial

If there was a prop strike the engine log should show compliance with AD 91-14-22 which would have been required prior to return to service.

Back