Smartest aviation products?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
I've seen dumbest, now I'm curious about the smartest aviation product anyone has purchased.

Not for novelty but what has had the most positive impact on your flying.

Garmin GPS products.
IPads for charts
ANR headsets
Little Johnny relief bottles. ;)

In cockpit weather. Used to be XM, now ADS-B in.
iPad for charts.
ANR headsets.

Yup, Geico pretty much nailed it, except for the Little John. Only time I needed to use one was actually at an airport, where they had the toilet locked after hours. Could have just found a bush!

Oh paaalease! :mad2::mad2:

Any plane with a yoke is a joke.

(I just made that up!) :rofl:

Thats pretty good!

Cessna will be soon, I was looking at the adb-s for my iPad and had every intention of buying one from sporty's while in Oshkosh. However I looked at the garmin product and like the traffic you also get, since I'm going to buy a backup gps I may go with the 796 without weather feature.

I did buy 2 Bose a20's.one for me and one for my son....did I mention oshkosh was a little expensive his year.

After the headsets and icon radio I thought I had done my account plenty of damage.

Last edited:
My son turns 10 this weekend, after Oshkosh it looks like he may get a mower to start replenishing his college account.

The aircraft I'm purchasing has the rosens which I have never flown with, are they really that helpful?

Well, let's just say that we purchased Rosen visors for an aircraft we rent. All the owner had to do was install them.

We have Rosen knock offs. They're great. The real Rosens are better built though.

I've seen dumbest, now I'm curious about the smartest aviation product anyone has purchased.

Not for novelty but what has had the most positive impact on your flying.

Gatorade jugs, great value as you use them twice when you empty then refill them. On the expensive side I will say fuel flow/totalizer, greatest accessory in a plane. Mid range plane stuff I go with Rosen Visors although I wish they would make them in rose color. For the pilot's 'bag o' stuff' I'm going with the Gatts jar.

BSSE (Before solid state electronics) E6B + Charts
ASSE GPS + iPad

:D

Cheers

> what has had the most positive impact on your flying.

I'll vote for the Garmin 396 w/XM. I consider it a considerable advancement over all
the previous, portable GPSs available.

At the other end of the price spectrum, AshLights

iPad + ForeFlight. My flight bag weighs less than half what it used to, no more fumbling around for A/FD's to check a bit of airport info, and it costs less than keeping a single set of VFR & IFR charts up to date.

Four years ago, I walked into the FBO for charts for a trip and walked out with two grocery bags full of paper. It was made easier to carry by the fact that my wallet was $225 lighter. No more! Now I can just go fly. :yes:

I second fuel totalizer, but aux music inputs are high on my list.

Back