Smart Glide P28R-180

Tan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheCapTan
Anyone have smart glide setup for their Arrow 180?

We have Smart Glide in our 182P.

But, what happens if you are not within range of an airport?
No Glide Airport
GTN Xi
* Declutter the map display.
* Provide aural alerts indicating there are no glide airports within range.
* Tune the emergency frequency 121.5 in the standby for COM #1. (if equipped)

(optional) GFC 500 - or - GFC 600
* IAS to greater of published best glide speed or minimum engagement speed
* ROL lateral mode with level attitude reference.
* Selected altitude capture is disabled
* If the autopilot is not engaged an aural alert will announce “Engaging Autopilot” and the AP will engage.

Doesn't Foreflight have this function, of something close to it?
ForeFlight has a visual ring around your aircraft while in flight showing the predicted glide range capability.

That ForeFlight glide range ring is a pretty stark visual that the best place to glide to is almost straight down, at least in a 182 at 7k’ish AGL.

Look out the side windows and down, forget 90% of the windshield view for the most part (just the bottom strip).

All they need is autotakeoff and we won't need to know anything about being a pilot anymore.

I have smart glide in our 182P. Driven by a G3x/750xi and a GFC500AP. Tested it multiple times. Works as advertised. Press the Smart-Glide button it immediately engages AP, pitches for Best Glide (programmable), and turns to point at any airport in gliding range (if there is one). Tunes 121.5 as backup com, and asks if you want to squawk 7700. when you get within about a mile of the airport it tells you to land the airplane ( regardless of altitude).

I would say the benefit of Smart Glide is if you have an engine out, you can let the AP do the AIRSPEED part, while you focus on the BEST, and CHECKLIST part of the ABCs. Saves you time, when time may-be short. A few more tests I want to run;

1. Climb high-enough to where the 'glide' will overfly the airport, and see if it turns back.
2. Reduced Power Smart Glide, Where it is initiated outside of glide-range to an airport, but partial power brings you inside glide range. This was a bug they supposedly fixed based on a YouTube pilot testing this scenario out (I forget who, if anyone knows, respond for credit)

-M

Back