SMART failure detection

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Before I wiped my computer clean, I had some Dell pre-loaded application from Intel that detected [a] SMART event on my #2 HD. Now that I wiped my system, the program is no longer there, and no SMART event is being detected.

What program(s) can be used/installed to detect such an event? I believe the program was Intel Application Accelerator, but I can't be sure.

I have an Intel P4 and an Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller.

Thanks for any help,

Jason

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
Before I wiped my computer clean, I had some Dell pre-loaded application from Intel that detected [a] SMART event on my #2 HD. Now that I wiped my system, the program is no longer there, and no SMART event is being detected.

What program(s) can be used/installed to detect such an event? I believe the program was Intel Application Accelerator, but I can't be sure.

I have an Intel P4 and an Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller.

Thanks for any help,

Jason

Generally your BIOS is what is going to notify you of a smart failure. You'll get the error on boot before windows starts. This was not effected by you wiping the system.

Enter your BIOS when the comptuer boots and look in there for the SMART options, There should be a place to either enable or disable it.

If you are wanting a program to be able to check for smart errors within windows:

http://www.hddlife.com/

Last edited:
I've noticed the SMART option which is disabled on my computer and I left it that way because I didn't know what it was. What is it?

Bobby Day said:
I've noticed the SMART option which is disabled on my computer and I left it that way because I didn't know what it was. What is it?

Turn it on. SMART = Smart Analysis and Reporting Technology

What SMART does is it looks for signs of a hard drive failure, If it sees them it will tell you upon boot.

60% of hard drive failures are predictable, and something like SMART will warn you in advance so you can backup your data.

The rest of the failures are not predictable, But a large percentage of them are impact related.. So just don't drop your desktop :)

So..back to what I said, turn it on, if there ever is an issue you will get a SMART error on boot. If this happens backup your data and buy a new hard drive :)

jangell said:
Turn it on. SMART = Smart Analysis and Reporting Technology:)
Where is the toggle/switch located to turn it on? Dell computer (NEVER again!!!!) and XP.

etsisk said:
Where is the toggle/switch located to turn it on? Dell computer (NEVER again!!!!) and XP.

About the second screen that you see when you first turn your computer on will have a line across the bottom that says something like "press DEL to enter BIOS setup"

That gets you a menu with an item "BIOS Features Setup". Select that and you should get a menu with one of the items being "HDD S.M.A.R.T. enable/disable"

That's odd. My Dell BIOS doesn't even display a S.M.A.R.T. enable/disable option, but recognized SMART failures when the last HD was in. I think it may be enabled by default?

I'm thinking about purchasing a copy of HD Life. Jesse, have you had any experience with the software? It looks like a good deal at this point, but I can't be sure.

Thanks,
Jason

Back