Small world :)

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Yet another reminder of how the Internet makes our world even smaller. One of the gentlemen from the Citabria forum emailed me and said he is moving from Indiana to our area and wondered about Citabria pilots in the area to go flying around with.

Come to find out, he accepted a position as Dean of the Technology Department at PSU where my husband teaches ground school. He’s my husband’s new boss! And one of the first people he met when moving to the area was my brother (Dean of the Biology Department) who helped him find a new house.

Now I have a new local Citabria flying buddy. Small world! :)

That's cool. Usually when I'm recalling how small a world it really is it's after running into someone I've been trying to avoid.

wesleyj said:
How well i know that feeling, or when you do run into someone, they give you a funny look and say, "hey i thought you were dead".

I've received that greeting before:hairraise: .

Gerhardt said:
That's cool. Usually when I'm recalling how small a world it really is it's after running into someone I've been trying to avoid.
Exgirlfriend. Exwife. Exboss. I know the feeling.

It gets smaller by the day. During that Toys for Tots, bikers' run I attended last week mine was one of roughly 14,000 motorcycles to meet at Augusta Civic Center. We were directed where to park. I shut down my machine, dismounted, removed my helmet, and was suddenly in a headlock from behind. I quipped, "I don't owe anybody, except favors, so whatever it is I'm sorry, but don't kill me." The male voice responded, "The moment I saw that license plate number 9 I knew who it was." Then a hand, holding a $100.00 bill, appeared before my face, and the voice continued: "There's a $100.00 bill. I'll give it to you right now if you'll surrender that plate # to me." The headlock was released, I having recognized the voice. It was my cousin from back home, though that is in a different part of the state. And he knew that his uncle -- my father -- had ridden plate 9 from 1954 to 1998, and it was transferred to me after Dad's death. "Sorry, Karl; no amount of money can get that number away from me." Karl, his wife, and their friend are shown behind my Sportster. It's a good thing they had parked in back of me, or I might have been sucked up in their exhaust(s) -- photo 2. Yup -- small world.

HR

Attachments

• 011_11.JPG
    011_11.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 012_12.JPG
    012_12.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 53
Henning said:
A windscreen on a Sporty, you should be ashamed...;)

I've taken friendly heat about that. However, being blind in one eye -- and in possession of a SODA document in another expensive endeavor, I'll go for the protection factor over the "shame." And a full-coverage/face shield helmet reduces peripheral vision to my left, and on the right because of reduced muscle control of the right(excellent vision) eye. I'd rather clean that errant June bug off the windscreen than be, potentially, flying "blind."

HR

Our "small world" experience. Our son attended college in Ecuador last year, met a local girl and, of course, in direct opposition to his mother's mandate, fell in love! He's home this year attending college, and his girlfriend is in the process of coming to the states for school. Her dad just started up a business with a partner in So. Cal. and looks like they'll be moving there soon. The connections are, his business is based in Fallbrook, where I worked for a number of years, and they're considering living in Escondido, where my son was born! From Ecuador to So. Cal with a Colorado twist!

My small world starts on Rottnburg ob de Taube in Germany when I was 17. I met up with a guy in the pub downstairs who had been an exchange student in WI. We set off for a disco outside the town wall where we hook up for a weekend of debauchery with a flock of Italian girls (7 of them). After the weekend I headed off to my grandparents. Fastforward to 24, I'm standing on the OB pier in the middle of the night fishing and a dude calls out "Henning". Now one thing about having my name, when someone calls it, I know they're talking to me. I look over and I recognize the face right away, but it takes me a moment to place it... yep, the dude from RoT.

Henning said:
My small world starts on Rottnburg ob de Taube in Germany when I was 17. I met up with a guy in the pub downstairs who had been an exchange student in WI. We set off for a disco outside the town wall where we hook up for a weekend of debauchery with a flock of Italian girls (7 of them). After the weekend I headed off to my grandparents. Fastforward to 24, I'm standing on the OB pier in the middle of the night fishing and a dude calls out "Henning". Now one thing about having my name, when someone calls it, I know they're talking to me. I look over and I recognize the face right away, but it takes me a moment to place it... yep, the dude from RoT.

Neat town, isn't it? Oh, to be 17 again. :D

Ghery said:
Neat town, isn't it? Oh, to be 17 again. :D

Yeah, it made you feel like you were in an old Disney movie from the 60s.

The funniest thing was the group of Italian girls. Apparently Italian daddys' keep a tight reign on their little girls, but feel it's safe to let them go on vacation in groups of 6 or more...wrong! When those girls get away from home, woooo hoooo. It was the first time I was picked up by a chick at a club, (she pinched my but on the dance floor). We all went to a table 7 of them, 2 of us, english was the only common language and they weren't that proficient. I was wondering how we were gonna work this out... I didn't have to wonder, seems they already had it worked out.B) However, can you say "Razor Party"?:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

It's always interesting how some of these threads take different twists and turns. :D

Henning said:
However, can you say "Razor Party"?:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:
I have NO idea what that means, :redface: and part of me wants to know, but then again, I'm almost afraid to ask. :eek: Somebody shoot me a PM, so I won't be so clueless.

And the Henning legend continues to expand. Just when I thought it couldnt get any better...

When I interviewed for this state job, the guy interviewing me mentioned that he used work for the Sheriff's department in the county where I worked for the city (200 miles from where the interview took place). I had thought he looked familiar when I walked in, but couldn't place him. During our conversation we figured out that we had worked together on a couple of fatality accidents several years earlier. After figuring THAT out, we started asking each other if we knew certain other people in both agencies. He asked me if I remembered a certain female deputy in a neighboring county, I said yes, I did..as a matter of fact, she ended up dating my ex-husband. Why? I asked. "Because" he responds.. she was HIS ex-wife. Yikes! My ex-husband was dating my soon-to-be new boss' ex-wife. How awkward!

It got even stranger though. Turns out that my new boss had done the background check on my ex-husband for the county before the two ex's had even known each other (he didn't get the job).. and he knew even more about ex-hubby's background that I did! Made for interesting water cooler conversation. :D

Diana said:
It's always interesting how some of these threads take different twists and turns. :D

I have NO idea what that means, :redface: and part of me wants to know, but then again, I'm almost afraid to ask. :eek: Somebody shoot me a PM, so I won't be so clueless.

Go rent the "Scary Movie" series, don't remember which one, but I'm pretty sure it's I or II. There is a scene near the end that when you see it, the lightbulb above your head will come on.

Hail to the Lion!
BLog, '78

Diana said:
Yet another reminder of how the Internet makes our world even smaller. One of the gentlemen from the Citabria forum emailed me and said he is moving from Indiana to our area and wondered about Citabria pilots in the area to go flying around with.

Come to find out, he accepted a position as Dean of the Technology Department at PSU where my husband teaches ground school. He’s my husband’s new boss! And one of the first people he met when moving to the area was my brother (Dean of the Biology Department) who helped him find a new house.

Now I have a new local Citabria flying buddy. Small world! :)

Finally got to meet the new Citabria flying buddy (a VERY nice guy). He flew in and chatted for a bit, and then we flew together so I could check my ASI. Just as I thought, my ASI indicates about 5 mph slower now.

Attachments

• Checkin the ASI.JPG
    Checkin the ASI.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Citabrias and soy beans.JPG
    Citabrias and soy beans.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Bruce and his 7ECA.JPG
    Bruce and his 7ECA.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 17
tonycondon said:
And the Henning legend continues to expand. Just when I thought it couldnt get any better...

Great stories! I'm lost on the "razor party" also.

AdamZ said:
C'mon folks! It dosent' take much of an imagination to know whta that is.

Why would you waste your time shaving? So your face is rough. Too bad!

European women. Yes, Yes, and triple Yes! ;)

Anthony said:
Great stories! I'm lost on the "razor party" also.

It has nothing to do with thin Motorola cellphones.

Back