Small video camera in plane?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
After giving airplane rides to my nephews this weekend, I thought it would be nice to have some sort of camera that I can mount in the RV to show the right-seat pax expressions. Obviously, small would be ideal - I don't want a big honkin camera sitting on the windscreen staring them in the face.

It would also be interesting to be able to turn it forward for other flights to have video of other flights.

Any ideas on how to set something like this up? I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I have a pretty capable laptop if that could be used as some sort of component. I searched the forums, but the last time this was discussed in any detail was back in 2005. I'm thinking that technology might have advanced a bit since then. ;)

I've used a webcam hooked to my laptop, and I've used a regular digital video camera.

those smaller cameras, do they need to be hooked up to an operating computer, or does the hardware store the video til you can download it?
What media does it store to?
Is it possible to use one to shoot forward, another the panel, another the occupants? And then clip and combine images as desired, as well as selecting audio to go with each movie (including intercom/atc)? Or are we talking pro-level equipment and pro-prices too?

Any ideas on how to set something like this up?

I've posted my typical setup here. I've since upgraded to a slightly smaller HDD-based camera, the Sony HDR-SR12. It's small, but you may want to consider even smaller flash memory-based units like these from Best Buy.

Considerations for me were microphone input so I can tap into the intercom, battery life (even if it requires swapping batteries), and a mounting bracket.

Lotsa questions... :)

those smaller cameras, do they need to be hooked up to an operating computer, or does the hardware store the video til you can download it?

The one Dean mentioned stores video on an SD memory card while spy cameras like the ones Scott mentioned usually require an external storage device (like a computer).

Is it possible to use one to shoot forward, another the panel, another the occupants? And then clip and combine images as desired, as well as selecting audio to go with each movie (including intercom/atc)? Or are we talking pro-level equipment and pro-prices too?

Yes, you can do all the above - assuming you have the mounting hardware to manage all the devices. The smaller "bullet-cams" can be mounted to headsets or, as Dean mentioned, velcro strips just about anywhere. However, audio connections to the intercom are not usually an option for the smaller cameras. This is typically a feature of "standard"-sized video cameras.

Video editing can be done with any of a number of inexpensive packages ranging from Windows Movie Maker to Apple iMovie to Pinnacle Studio (my package of choice) on up to top-end ($$$) editors like Sony Vegas or Avid Liquid. The package you should choose is a factor of what features you expect to use on a regular basis - not to mention the obvious budget quotient. Many folks do just fine with Movie Maker.

I don't expect to quit my day job to pick up a new movie-making career, but you can see a small sampling of what can be achieved with Pinnacle Studio at my blog or YouTube channel.

Thanks, I am about to buy Pinnacle and my Canon 800 camera is coming! Watch for Viking and CJ videos at a youtube nearby!

Back