Small Plane Crashes in South Jersey

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
September 17, 2005 - Two people were hurt Tuesday afternoon when a small plane crashed in South Jersey.

092005_im_planeax.jpg

It happened at the Millville Municipal Airport in Cumberland County. A single engine Piper crashed into some trees trying to take off around 3:30. The impact ripped off a wing and broke the fuselage. The pilot and a passenger were injured. No word yet on who they are, or how badly they're hurt. The National Transportation Safety Board will try to determine what caused the crash.

(Copyright 2005 by Action News. All Rights Reserved.)

Wow, first tuesday I didnt have a lesson scheduled in weeks. I am usually on the flight line at 3:30 with pre-flight. It sounds like they had engine failure and tried to turn back.......thats all the info I got from my work crews and inspection on site. I hope everyone is ok.

Last edited:
Gary, no mention of this accident on the FAA Preliminary Accident page. Was it on the local news?

Yes, I just happened to turn on ABC action news (Philadelphia station) and saw the short run. I then picked up the phone and made a few calls to the crew and my inspector to get an update. I'll be headed over tomorrow to see what was up and take a closer look at the aircraft. I hope to update the crew condition if I can.

Gary, found it posted today.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 6494J Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 09/20/2005 Time: 1928

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Serious Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON TAKEOFF, EXPERIENCED A LOSS OF ENGINE POWER AND CRASHED INTO THE
TREES AT THE DEPARTURE END OF THE RUNWAY, THE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD
SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURIES, MILLVILLE, NJ

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: KMIV 201454Z AUTO 23007KT 180V250 10SM FEW021 26/20 A3009

OTHER DATA

Departed: MILLVILLE, NJ Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: ATLANTIC CITY, NJ Flt Plan: IFR Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance: IFR DEPARTURE RELEASE

FAA FSDO: TETERBORO, NJ (EA25) Entry date: 09/21/2005

C-1

Thanks for the post. I was at the site today but I still do not have the "official" story. I took a look inside and out, what a wake up call. I only have 15-17 hours in the book and I guess the reality of it all hit home today. I did see the pilot today he was on crutches with a broken right ankle but he seemed dang sporty for going through that ordeal. The passenger, who I found out was my instructor hit his nose and hurt his wrist, but I understand it is not broken. My CFI is VERY particular about procedures and I'm sure he had a hand or two in getting that aircraft down as safe as possible. Right now i only care that they are both safe and with their families, that is the most important fact.

This is not official info....just what I heard from workers onsite today.

I gathered from the construction crew and others that they took off and had problems. It seemed they were able to turn it around and get downwind but there was construction equipment and men working so they did not set down there. They turned base and I'm not sure what happened next but I hear there was an aircraft at the hold short waiting to taxi into position. Maybe they thought they couldnt clear him or have a shot at the runway and set it down on base. They went across the field and almost cleared the trees but the right wing clipped and spun them in. I'm sure I will find out more as it filters out.

---------------------------------------

Frank,

What a terrible loss, our thoughts and prayers are with the families. I took some time to read all the links, they seem to be a well traveled unit with a history.

Last edited:
C-1 PILOT said:
Regis#: 6494J

Yikes! A local flying club (Nat'l Guard, I think) owned that plane until recently. I remember when I was on a training flight in 6454J a couple of years ago that 6494J was also up and on the same frequency and refused to say "NINER." Confused the heck out of the poor controller.

Ironically, 6454J also crashed a couple of months ago. :(

They turned base and I'm not sure what happened next but I hear there was an aircraft at the hold short waiting to taxi into position. Maybe they thought they couldnt clear him or have a shot at the runway and set it down on base. They went across the field and almost cleared the trees but the right wing clipped and spun them in. I'm sure I will find out more as it filters out.

Well as more info trickles out.......The jet was not holding short it was on the runway getting ready to depart. The cause of the engine out was a cylinder head that cracked! I think the FAA site has more info posted.

GMascelli said:
Well as more info trickles out.......The jet was not holding short it was on the runway getting ready to depart. The cause of the engine out was a cylinder head that cracked! I think the FAA site has more info posted.
Gary, was this a plane at your flight school? Or privately owned?

Back