Small Plane Crash Caught On Tape

Ouch...

It's somehow not as gruesome, though, as the home videos Robinson shows in their R22 safety course. The first is at a birthday party. The pilot takes the birthday boy (actually, birthday adult) for a ride, returns and unloads him, and then departs with the passenger who had flown in with him. He fails to clear some wires and crashes killing both on board.

The second is also in the U.K., and shows a helicopter entering a low rpm rotor stall. The bird basically becomes a fast dropping rock, and the video shows it going down most of the way and then shows the mangled bodies up close. It does provide lots of motivation though for us to keep the rpm in the green!

Double ouch. Article says the right seat CFI was killed but the left seater - not clear if he's really a student student or was rated, was in hospital.

A damn shame.

Ever witness a fatal?

Friend of mine did. It was a glider on a winch tow. Pulled up too steep and stalled/spun. She said it was a no doubter. Fotunately I have not.

Re: Ever witness a fatal?

Fotunately I have not.

Military jet, probably US, in the late 60's, Toronto harborfront airshow, all I recall is a diversion from the rest of the pack (of jets), a huge splash in the lake and the horrified responses of the adults around me. No chutes. It has a profound influence on a person. Also remember being fairly shocked to watch a 150 crunch a nosewheel into the firewall and grind down the runway right in front of me. I cancelled my lesson that day (I was a 17yo student) and was shaken for awhile... the cfi wanted to go but I needed to settle down.
My first response to the thread was, when I was in driver ed, some classes went to the car wrecking yard first hand, we saw movies of auto carnage......in some ways it really is a good idea to use it as a safety training tool. No amount of cautionary language is equal to seeing skull depressions in a windshield. Might be a useful tool in aviation safety if used with discretion.

NickDBrennan said:
That video actually gave me chills....I can only imagine what it must be like to be that student, knowing that his instructor is dead, and he witnessed it. Even worse has to be the fact that he can watch it over and over again on tape....it'd be enough to mess me up for a while.

I'll bet money he doesn't remember much, if anything of the accident (and may never). Having been in a non-fatal aircraft accident (as a passenger-long before I started taking flying lessons), but one that had some serious injuries, it amazes me what the human mind can do to block out those bad memories. In the accident I was in, all three of us involved in it have a total blank in our memory from the exact same point. None of us can remember the actual impact, but we all remember a little bump which we have figured out was the nose wheel hitting a fence about 20 or 30 yards before it actually hit the ground and went into a stand of trees. I remember thinking "oh great, this is going to hurt" when we started down, then it was lights out until they were loading me in the ambulance (and then lights out again until we got to the hospital). The rescue crew told me I was talking and joking with them the whole time they were cutting me out of the wreckage, but I don't remember any of it.

The two front seaters had some serious injuries and had to be removed first (and they weren't little guys either..made the extraction even more difficult) and I was in the wreckage for a good amount of time before they got me out.. you'd think if I was awake enough to give the firefighter a hard time about being so noisy peeling the wreckage around me, I would have been awake enough to remember the conversation!

I would not have liked to have it on video to relive later. It was bad enough seeing photographs of what the wreckage looked like after the fact.

Lisa

ausrere said:
I'll bet money he doesn't remember much,
Lisa

That's quite a story. Do you mind giving a few more details? Cause, NTSB report etc. I understand if not. Did you have any trepidation when you learned to fly?

jkaduk said:
That's quite a story. Do you mind giving a few more details? Cause, NTSB report etc. I understand if not. Did you have any trepidation when you learned to fly?

It's one of those "I wish I knew then, what I know now" stories. The cause was the plane was over gross and the pilot did terrible flight planning (although he still argues about that I'm told). Had I had even an little bit of ground school before then, I'd have never gotten in the plane that day. Looking back, I can remember how upset the pilot was that the fueler had put more fuel in the right tank that he asked for, and instead of having it pumped out, he decided to attempt the flight anyway. He said he redid his calculations and we'd be fine. He was supposed to be the expert, so I didn't question him.. stupid!

Anyway, the NTSB report is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001213X25252&key=1

As far as it causing trepidation during my flight lessons later on, I did have MAJOR trouble with stall practice. During the accident, I can remember the right wing dropping, and it felt like I was looking straight down at the runway, it did it twice, and I just knew I was going to die at that point.

When I started taking flying lessons later on, and that right wing would break in the stall, I'd be near panic. White knuckles was an understatement. I didn't think I'd make it through that part of training. I was convinced that the next thing that happened would be us falling out of the sky. My instructor asked me if I would go up with him for an hour of aerobatic instruction in his Citabria with stalls/spin practice so that I could see for myself that the plane could be recovered and we wouldn't just fall out of the sky. I agreed, but I was worried. Turns out I had a blast. We did an hour of spins, loops, rolls and anything else he could think of. He did the maneuver first, and then let me do it.. and I had fun. After that, I didn't have a problem with stalls. I even talked him into another hour a few weeks later just to make sure :D

Lisa

Last edited:

Yeah, on a bug run about 4 years ago I was pulling out of a field to go reload when I saw the guy working the field next to me bit it. Best I could figure from what I saw is he tried to pull the turn too tight with a rudder slam without unloading the wing and the plane broke over at the top of the turn and spun a half rotation inverted into the ground. Wasn't a pretty ending. Seen a couple of other pretty neat crashes from the pilots perspective, but no injuries there.
:dance: I just love that dude...

glpilot said:
I saw this when I went and read the thread here titled "Just havin' a little fun - The Pinnacle Crash..."

There was a link on that story that lead me to this:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/12/earlyshow/main666322.shtml

Theres also a video which after watching making you "think".

SORRY IF I MISSED THIS SOMEWHERE ELSE ON POA.

Sorry, but that had to be the worst job of energy management and aircraft control I've seen, he overshot the entire fairway and was still smokin along when he intersected the pole. My favorite was the news "Student pilot doing an emergency landing" yeah right, the instructor is gonna let the student have the helm, although the student couldn't hardly have stuffed it up worse.

Henning said:
:dance: I just love that dude...
Hey Henning! Welcome to the forum; nice to have you here. :)

Steve said:
Sure livened up the hangar party, for sure.
S

I always miss out on the excitement. Did they do anything to the
Lear pilot?

RT

RogerT said:
I always miss out on the excitement. Did they do anything to the
Lear pilot?

RT

No. The tow pilot had to do a 709 ride for running out of fuel but he came through alright.

Just the other day I was sitting at the hold-short line behind said Lear with a 172 announcing short final. The jet took the runway and announced takeoff. The 172 announced he was on short final. The jet pilot said, "We know," and departed. The 172 declared a departure from the pattern to reënter after a 360°. I waited til the dust settled and told the 172, "Good call."

Back