Small Hangar Award

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
My Citabria is now safely ensconced in Jacksonville. But just barely. Turns out I scored a T hangar at Craig, much to my surprise. The fact that the FBO manager asked what KIND of single I had should have tipped me off.

With the airplane inside, the trailing edge of the wing is about 2 inches from the wall. Close the door and the tip of the spinner is about 2 inches from the door. These things are old, built when small airports were filled with Taylorcraft and Cubs and Champs. In order for a Cessna 172 (or comparable) to use them, the airport authority was inclined to build pavement ramps in front of the doors, positioned such that the nosewheel goes up the ramp and thereby lowers the tail enough to go through the door.

But I won't complain. It keeps my fabric bird out of the Florida sun. And there's just barely enough room to stow the popup camper under the wing. Still, it's a hangar. I guess I should be glad I got as much as I did.

Your hangar is subject to the "Stuff syndrom.

Stuff grows to fit the container it is in.

I started with enough stuff to fill a sea bag, it has grown to fit a house, hangar, 2 storage sheds, and a 22'X26' garage.

A hangar is a hangar. At least there wasn't the 5 year waiting list that some places have.

wsuffa said:
A hangar is a hangar. At least there wasn't the 5 year waiting list that some places have.
There typically is in Florida. Which is why I was so surprised to find one after only 6 months of searching.

Ken Ibold said:
These things are old, built when small airports were filled with Taylorcraft and Cubs and Champs.

Here's where the Citablueberria lived until she got her new home. A 100 year old hay shed that was modified to allow for an airplane. She didn't mind it so much; but she was hoping for a door. She did enjoy having the company of the old John Deere. :)

Ken Ibold said:
There typically is in Florida. Which is why I was so surprised to find one after only 6 months of searching.

Gotta tell you, though, it took all my powers of self-control to keep from commenting on the title to this thread.... :D

Back