small airport departures

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
I was taking off from KJGG the other day which is a 3000 ft runway. As I was climbing out, it hit me. If the engine failed right now, I would have absolutely no place to land this thing. What is the best way to approach a situation where your options are very limited? Softly into the tree tops? Small roads surrounded by trees? I know locals will have a predetermined emergency plan, but what gives you the best chance of survival?

It's a risk we all take. Without looking at the actual area, I could only guess. I'd head for the road, AOTBE.

I was taking off from KJGG the other day which is a 3000 ft runway. As I was climbing out, it hit me. If the engine failed right now, I would have absolutely no place to land this thing. What is the best way to approach a situation where your options are very limited? Softly into the tree tops? Small roads surrounded by trees? I know locals will have a predetermined emergency plan, but what gives you the best chance of survival?

AS slow as possible, into something as soft as possible... Hopefully that place is next to a fire station and across the street from the hospital.:yes:;)

Use a different airport.

Seriously - there will be airports that just do not have very many good options for an engine failure at a particular altitude or distance from the airport.

Check out Google Earth and look ahead before you land there. You might see some fields that are not easily spotted from low altitude - make a mental note to find them when you come in to land so you can remember where they are when you take off.

I usually fly in/out of an airport that's pretty landlocked. There are landout options, but they can be tough to pick up if you are in a big hurry - it's way better to know where they are before you depart. I let my departure leg drift me towards those areas, just in case.

Use a different airport.

:yeahthat:

That's what I did a few years back.
I don't have a problem flying into an airport once with no place for an engine out but I wouldn't like to be based out of there.

I wouldn't try to got for a small road unless it does not have any power lines or light poles. I think trees would be better, since they are thin and soft on top. Just don't stall it when landing on the trees.

Force yourself to always land on the numbers by the numbers. By keeping your skills and habits sharp you get your best chance when you really need to place the plane in a small space.

Use a written check list so as never to miss anything-to reduce your chances of having a pilot induced emergency. Do not skip steps on walk around. Know your plane/Keep your plane healthy. Do not fly into tight places in an unknown rental plane. Add 50% to your normal safety margin. Keep tires properly inflated. Height is safety in an engine off situation. So you can do a short field take off to gain height as quickly as possible. Once you get to a height that prevents landing on the remainder of the runway or gives you other options, transition to high speed.

If you had a very early failure you could land on the remainder of runway. Once you are at altitude you can turn around and land on the same runway. In between that you have to look for landing spaces. Farm fields are good but tear stuff up. Roads are great but watch out for electrical lines and cars.

If you have to ditch in the trees then generally try to fly between them to tear off the wing/fuel tanks to prevent or reduce fire in fuselage.

Cost money but you can add shoulder harness and air bags.

Last edited:
I think trees would be better, since they are thin and soft on top. Just don't stall it when landing on the trees.

One of the first rules I learned for skiing tree trails. Don't hit trees, they don't bend like the race gates do and your shoulders won't like it.

One of the first rules I learned for skiing tree trails. Don't hit trees, they don't bend like the race gates do and your shoulders won't like it.

That's because when your skiing your skiing near the bottom of the trees where they are think and strong. When you land on them you land on the soft stuff on top, then get stuck in the branches. Granted you'll destroy the plane and might have an injury or two but most of the time people survive such "landings" and if there is no better place to sat it down trees will work.

Follow Matthew's advice about using Google Earth (or the AOPA online directory listing, which has an overhead shot of the airport vicinity) plus a good look upon arrival. Folks don't normally think about departing when arriving, but sometimes it pays off.

Bob Gardner

I actually beg to differ @ JGG to be specific -

Taking off to the NW you have streets and highways and parking areas and even some open spots on the sides of the roads - you have always have a choice.

Take off to the SE and there are several streams which will cushion the landing.

This is why you should ALWAYS endeavor to make your initial climb close to Vx +5 or so. . . . it minimizes the distance away from the airport you are moving.

Plus - you only really need to worry about the first 1200 feet of altitude gain - after that you are returning to the airport . . . . so the only real risk factor in these take offs is the first 60-90 seconds -

To minimize this make no power /rpm adjustment until you know you can make the airport.

JGG is a piece of cake - go look at EMT .. . . even SMO has a golf course that has been used in the past.

Use a different airport.
And miss the great food at Charley's? No way, Jose. The seafood bisque is just too good, and a Blue Max on Bavarian black bread with a side of that vinegar slaw for which the recipe is held secret is worth flying my Tiger across the Chesapeake Bay, no less taking off over the garbage dump.

Hey, we all fly for hours over plenty of places where an engine failure will leave you without any good options without batting an eyelash, but we'll fret over not having someone to land it if the engine fails at 400 feet on takeoff from this particular runway? If you really worry about that, buy a twin and load it light (or buy one with turbine engines).

We are glad to have the power to out climb our glide. I know the 160 hp 172 at gross would not have made it back at any altitude during a straight out departure.

You can just Sully it down into the James River there.

If you've truly run out of options, Mick's book covers this.

http://www.crashandsurvive.com/

In a nutshell, hit the softest thing you can, and something that will shed parts from the airframe and take the energy away with it without coming into the cabin.

It's worth a read. Order direct from him, for some reason, Amazon triples the price, even on used copies.

Back