SLSA sales trends?

Cluemeister

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Cluemeister
I am a member of Dan Johnson's excellent website, and I was poking around looking at sales figures for SLSAs. I found an older chart that shows the total top company sales through 2012 and the newer chart with total sales for the top companies through mid 2015. I compared those charts, and this is what I came up with of how SLSA sales are trending for these companies. I have attached the link to Dan Johnson's two sales charts.

I do not have any connection to any company on this list or anything related. Just thought this was interesting information.

The 2012 chart: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/Sidebar.cfm?Article_ID=1668

The 2015 chart: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/Sidebar.cfm?Article_ID=2038

SLSA sales last three years, as interpreted from top seller's chart.

CubCrafters Carbon Cub - 137
Vans RV 12 - 58
Pipistrel Sinus - 47
Progressive Aerodyne Searey - 33
American Legend Legend Cub- 32
Tecnam P2008 - 32
Czech Sport Aircraft - Sport Cruiser - 30
Flight Design CT - 29
Aerotrek A240/220 - 28
Jabiru J-230 - 4
Evektor Sportstar/Harmony - 3
Sportair USA Sting - 2
Rans S20/S7 - 5
Aeroprakt A22 - 5
Arion LS1 - 5
ICP/Skykits Savannah - 3
LSA America Allegro (Minus 1)
Remos GX NXT - (Minus 5)

It looks like the Carbon Cub will pass Flight Design early next year for the #1 seller. The Vans number is impressive, as the company did not start shipping until 2013, and even then in small amounts. Not sure about the Sinus, maybe someone has thoughts on this. Searey numbers impressive as well.

Do you guys get different numbers? What do you think of these figures?

I am a member of Dan Johnson's excellent website, and I was poking around looking at sales figures for SLSAs. I found an older chart that shows the total top company sales through 2012 and the newer chart with total sales for the top companies through mid 2015. I compared those charts, and this is what I came up with of how SLSA sales are trending for these companies. I have attached the link to Dan Johnson's two sales charts.

I do not have any connection to any company on this list or anything related. Just thought this was interesting information.

The 2012 chart: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/Sidebar.cfm?Article_ID=1668

The 2015 chart: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/Sidebar.cfm?Article_ID=2038

SLSA sales last three years, as interpreted from top seller's chart.

CubCrafters Carbon Cub - 137
Vans RV 12 - 58
Pipistrel Sinus - 47
Progressive Aerodyne Searey - 33
American Legend Legend Cub- 32
Tecnam P2008 - 32
Czech Sport Aircraft - Sport Cruiser - 30
Flight Design CT - 29
Aerotrek A240/220 - 28
Jabiru J-230 - 4
Evektor Sportstar/Harmony - 3
Sportair USA Sting - 2
Rans S20/S7 - 5
Aeroprakt A22 - 5
Arion LS1 - 5
ICP/Skykits Savannah - 3
LSA America Allegro (Minus 1)
Remos GX NXT - (Minus 5)

It looks like the Carbon Cub will pass Flight Design early next year for the #1 seller. The Vans number is impressive, as the company did not start shipping until 2013, and even then in small amounts. Not sure about the Sinus, maybe someone has thoughts on this. Searey numbers impressive as well.

Do you guys get different numbers? What do you think of these figures?

I've flown about half a dozen of those airplanes. I liked them all. But take a flight in the Carbon Cub, and you'll understand why it's overtaking the rest. Performance-wise, there's just no comparison.

Rich

There are some good planes on that list. The Sinus is a pretty capable motor glider / SLSA. He's right about the Carbon Cub performance, although it sounds to me like the Legend may be a tad more reliable "out of the box."

I was surprised by the Flight Design CT series. After being so strong early on, it looks like they are selling about 10 aircraft a year in the US.

I can only imagine all LSAs will take a pretty big price hit if the 3rd class reform bill passes. What would be the draw ? Why pay extra for a brand new flimsy little two seat Fiat when a big old used Buick works fine ?

I always enjoyed Dans web page. Have flown several of the light sport aircraft,and enjoyed them,I find them priced a little high. They realy don't fit my mission at this time. If the third class medical goes away,so will some of their sales.

I see Eipper isn't on the list. They probably have more SP aircraft out there than anyone. I'm not sure how the whole retrograde categorization from all the ones from before LSA existed works, but LSA or not, lots of 2 seat Sport Pilot planes, and they have been producing S-LSA for a while now, so I bet they have a better number than most f not all of that list. This on the amphibs is a fun machine, and now with a 912 coming out on their GT-500 and S-LSA it should be awesome as well.
http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/SLSA-Sport-2S.php

Same reason why actual Fiats are selling well compared to Buicks :)

I guess you're not following - if a guy is not wanting to jump thru hoops to get his medical but still wants to fly something bigger than an ultralight right now the LSA is the only game in town and he's got to put up with LSA prices. If the medical reform act goes thru he can fly just about anything.

The average new LSA seems to be about what ? - 140ish ? You can get a helluva lot more airplane on the used market for that price. So I see LSA prices, especially used LSAs taking a pretty decent nosedive.

I guess you're not following - if a guy is not wanting to jump thru hoops to get his medical but still wants to fly something bigger than an ultralight right now the LSA is the only game in town and he's got to put up with LSA prices. If the medical reform act goes thru he can fly just about anything.

The average new LSA seems to be about what ? - 140ish ? You can get a helluva lot more airplane on the used market for that price. So I see LSA prices, especially used LSAs taking a pretty decent nosedive.

From what I understand the new reform can keep you from having to renew your medical, but you still have to get one first. Has that changed?

From what I understand the new reform can keep you from having to renew your medical, but you still have to get one first. Has that changed?

No ! :no:

Cheers

I see Eipper isn't on the list. They probably have more SP aircraft out there than anyone. I'm not sure how the whole retrograde categorization from all the ones from before LSA existed works, but LSA or not, lots of 2 seat Sport Pilot planes, and they have been producing S-LSA for a while now, so I bet they have a better number than most f not all of that list. This on the amphibs is a fun machine, and now with a 912 coming out on their GT-500 and S-LSA it should be awesome as well.
http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/SLSA-Sport-2S.php

I believe I read that Quicksilver is closing up shop.

I've flown about half a dozen of those airplanes. I liked them all. But take a flight in the Carbon Cub, and you'll understand why it's overtaking the rest. Performance-wise, there's just no comparison.

Rich

Unless you want speed. I really like the Cub but we also fly long trips.

I can only imagine all LSAs will take a pretty big price hit if the 3rd class reform bill passes. What would be the draw ? Why pay extra for a brand new flimsy little two seat Fiat when a big old used Buick works fine ?

I agree this is likely. But I've had 5+ years flying waiting.

I was surprised by the Flight Design CT series. After being so strong early on, it looks like they are selling about 10 aircraft a year in the US.

A lot of their sales came when there were only a handful of competitors. Now, with, what?, 150 different LSA models available, the pie is sliced pretty thin. There is a pretty healthy resale market for CTs.

Last edited:
New LSA's are a bit pricey, but 2006 to 2010 models can be had for $65,000-$85,000. That 's for a plane with dual Dynons, a 496/696 GPS, 2 axis auto pilot, 2000 hour TBO Rotax, parachute, 100 knots on 5 GPH. Sure it only has 2 seats, but I'm seeing a lot of current/former airline pilots and pilots with medicals buying them just because they're fun to fly, and they get a newer airframe with modern avionics.

Yeah, we're starting to see the depreciated crop of current planes hitting the used market now which is opening some new avenues of access.

Just learned the other day that Rans has a factory-built S-6ELS starting at $79k new. Will be interesting to see what they go for in ten years.

As a data point, my little Sky Arrow was $75.5k in 2007, fairly well equipped - lights for night, com radio, transponder and a basic Dynon PFD and AirGizmo dock for an x96 Garmin.

I think the current price for a slightly improved model is around $110k.

Thinking back, that $75.5k was already at the upper limits of what I wanted to spend for a Light Sport.

I thought the whole idea of Light Sport was to make simple planes cheaper and more affordable. But most of the action is towards the high end - $162k CT's and $200k Carbon Cubs for example. While the basic models don't sell or do so in tiny numbers.

I never expected that.

What do Sky Arrows go for used? I don't see any currently on the market but one was recently removed from Controller, and the Barnstormer ad doesn't have a price.

I thought the whole idea of Light Sport was to make simple planes cheaper and more affordable. But most of the action is towards the high end - $162k CT's and $200k Carbon Cubs for example. While the basic models don't sell or do so in tiny numbers.

I only know two Carbon Cub owners and they bought them completed and not in Kit form. They also bought them more as backcountry weekend planes than as LSAs to get around the medical requirements. Same with RV-12, seems people buy those as 2 person RV-10s.

I guess my point is even though those fit in the LSA requirement, those buying them aren't probably LSA only buyers.

http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/SLSA-GT-500.php :dunno:

From the one article it sounds like their own quality is what is killing them, losing new sales to their used market. Not altogether surprised, they have always made a quality product, I had one of the early Quicksilvers with weight shift and a 25hp 2 Stroke Chrysler way back.

Back