SLSA registrations

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
I've been looking at the SLSA registration info on Dan Johnson's site:

http://www.bydanjohnson.com/?b=1&m=5

Pretty interesting stuff. It looks like CTLS was the early market leader, along with PiperSport/Czech Sport. Then along came Cessna, who zoomed into second place, then stopped. In the meanwhile, CubCrafters has chugged along and has registered 272 aircraft so far. If things keep going as they are, CubCrafters could very well have the most registrations in a few more years.

There are a number of things that strike me about the SLSA market. The first is the vast number of makers and even bigger number of models. The second is that most of those makers production levels are tiny, at least in the US marketplace. Hopefully they are selling more aircraft in other parts of the world. The last thing that I noticed is that almost 20 percent of total SLSA registrations are for Cub clones.

I think what this market need is a leader. I'm sure many were expecting Cessna to be that leader, but they were not. I've got my hopes up that the RV-12 will be it. One of the things that I think will get this market going is when LSAs become common on rental flight lines, and I think the RV-12 has all the characteristics needed. First, it's metal, which I think is essential for a rental aircraft. Second, it's priced right. Let's face it, some of the European aircraft are going for $150,000. Finally, it's backed by Van's. Even if SLSA production of the aircraft ends, Van's will always be there with any airframe parts needed, since their kit production will continue regardless of the success of the SLSA version.

While I don't think GA flying will every get back to being as popular as it was in the 70's and 80's, having new aircraft to train new pilots should help interest new pilots.

Well having been a CFI since 1990 and involved with LSA's since 2006 I will say that I haven't seen a single LSA that appears to be as tough as any C-152. By comparison even the metal ones seem quite fragile.

The CT has been the leader since Day-One, and is already the "market leader". They have weathered the bad times and are poised to grow and expand. Vans and CubCrafters are good companies and will do well in their spaces.
The CT has been used very successfully as a trainer... but that environment can bend anything.

The CTs are here to stay,they have been the leader,as they continue to refine their product. They are also looking forward to expanding into the four seat market. The lsa market is starting to shake out like the rest of GA.

Hoping for RV-12 seems to possess the characteristics of the hope for a saviour that accompained the coming of 162, Icon A5 and Barack Hussein Obama. Meanwhile CT continues to carry the market. And anyone who thinks that its price is too high, should consider the prices of Carbon Cubs that are sold in significant numbers (for S-LSA/E-LSA market at least: dozens). Those roll out for $230k!

RV-12 is a fine airplane. I think comparing it to RANS S-19 Venterra is most instructive. It uses a similar construction, same engine, but it's lighter, faster, and cheaper by a noticeable margin. Cleary the design is excellent. I just don't think it's going to be all that revolutionary.

Last edited:
15,000 sold. If you could get people to stop reading submarine driving focused flying magazines they might figure out what is fun and affordable. Company is working on LSA approval. Yeah I know it isn't FIKI approved. But Southwest is.

The problem with Quick is that they have been. Those 15000 were sold back when 2-axis MX was the king. I applaud their S-LSA effort on the 2S, although keep in mind it's not their first S-LSA. GT-500 was the first, but the price was disappointing, it was not competitive with e.g. CGS Hawk. I don't think Quick's S-LSA 2S can do much against their own kits re-sold as used EX-AB, with just one very important exception: ultralight transition training (which you can do in S-LSA withot LoDA).

Hoping for RV-12 seems to possess the characteristics of the hope for a saviour that accompained the coming of 162, Icon A5 and Barack Hussein Obama. Meanwhile CT continues to carry the market. And anyone who thinks that its price is too high, should consider the prices of Carbon Cubs that are sold in significant numbers (for S-LSA/E-LSA market at least: dozens). Those roll out for $230k!

RV-12 is a fine airplane. I think comparing it to RANS S-19 Venterra is most instructive. It uses a similar construction, same engine, but it's lighter, faster, and cheaper by a noticeable margin. Cleary the design is excellent. I just don't think it's going to be all that revolutionary.

That it isn't revolutionary is what I think gives it the possibility of be accepted by flight schools and clubs. There was nothing revolutionary about the J-3 back in the late 30's, but they were what was needed at the time. I'm not expecting the RV-12 to gain Cub status, but I am hoping it's the airplane that gets LSAs onto lots of flight lines.

Back