Slowing increasing MAP on turbocharged engine

Pbtx0

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
I have a TSIO-550 and I've noticed a couple of peculiar things. On takeoff my MAP is 34.5" (max is 35.5") but this slowly increases to 35.5" as I climb into the teens. This seems to happen on warmer days. I've only been flying behind this engine for a year but it did this last summer as well and doesn't do it in the winter. Is this normal? I would think that a turbocharged engine should still make full power even on a hot day. Loading my engine monitor data into the savvy analysis website shows a slow rise in MAP with a corresponding FF. There are no signs of an exhaust leak and I figure that if there was an induction leak I would never be able to get 35.5. Engine is only 2 years old. Could the wastegate controller be going bad already?

I have a TSIO-550 and I've noticed a couple of peculiar things. On takeoff my MAP is 34.5" (max is 35.5") but this slowly increases to 35.5" as I climb into the teens. This seems to happen on warmer days. I've only been flying behind this engine for a year but it did this last summer as well and doesn't do it in the winter. Is this normal? I would think that a turbocharged engine should still make full power even on a hot day. Loading my engine monitor data into the savvy analysis website shows a slow rise in MAP with a corresponding FF. There are no signs of an exhaust leak and I figure that if there was an induction leak I would never be able to get 35.5. Engine is only 2 years old. Could the wastegate controller be going bad already?

On most systems, MAP varies with oil temperature, too, since engine oil is the hydraulic fluid of that system.

Paul

On most systems, MAP varies with oil temperature, too, since engine oil is the hydraulic fluid of that system.

Paul

Makes sense but wouldn't a hot day make the oil less viscous and allow the wastegate to function normally? I would expect to see a sluggish wastegate on cold days when oil temp is low.

Can't answer if your wastegate is malfunctioning but on many fixed wastegate turbos with constant speed props, the prop efficiency climbs during the takeoff roll and the MP creeps higher as speed is gained because the prop isn't working as hard.

If you had a need for absolute full power for a takeoff in the Turbo Seminole you'd push until you were about 2" below overboost and then leave it there. By the time you were airborne you'd be flirting with overboost.

Which is why on the checklist the owner had a normal-takeoff MP number and then listed the Max below that for maximum performance. We usually took off about three to four inches below overboost to give the system the ability to rise and not actually hit the overboost light, if plenty of runway was available.

If you really wanted every last bit out of it I suppose you could go right up to just below overboost and then start easing it back as the speed came on, but you'd have to have some time in the thing to know how quickly that would happen and keep coming back with it as you took off and climbed out, gaining speed.

Doing the ME CFI ride in that thing and prep, one of your jobs was to keep the overboost from happening. Almost every student would "touch" the light sooner or later during some maneuver. OEI approach and they need more power, landings in gusty conditions and they need more power, inattentiveness on a takeoff, something. You were always on guard for it and ready to either verbally correct it if it was mild, or physically grab their hands and pull the throttles back if they really were headed for overdoing it.

Even DPEs will ask the owner to remind them of the limits the owner likes before heading out with someone for a checkride. Nobody ever wanted to hurt the airplane. Real easy to do with a fixed wastegate system like that.

Makes sense but wouldn't a hot day make the oil less viscous and allow the wastegate to function normally? I would expect to see a sluggish wastegate on cold days when oil temp is low.

How does oil affect your wastegate?

I believe we have the same controller on the TSIO520UB. Colder oil gives us higher MAP and higher takeoff FF. If we take off with a heat soaked engine, the cooler air in the climb will cause MAP and FF to rise. If we take off with a cool engine, as the oil heats up, MAP and FF drop. Just the joys of ancient technology.

YMMV

I believe we have the same controller on the TSIO520UB. Colder oil gives us higher MAP and higher takeoff FF. If we take off with a heat soaked engine, the cooler air in the climb will cause MAP and FF to rise. If we take off with a cool engine, as the oil heats up, MAP and FF drop. Just the joys of ancient technology.

YMMV

Yes but that's got nothing to do with the wastegate :)

My wastegate is actuated by oil from the wastegate controller. I can certainly see how oil temp could affect that.

Back