Slow speed airplane collision at KORD

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
attachment.php

Two Delta planes came in contact with each other this evening on the tarmac at O'Hare International Airport, officials said.

The incident happened about 7:30 p.m. when two Delta flights "clipped wings," said Chicago Department of Aviation spokeswoman Karen Pride.
Delta flight No. 2207 to Minneapolis and flight No. 1777 to Atlanta experienced a "taxi-way incursion" on the tarmac, meaning the flights made contact, said Delta spokeswoman Chris Kelly Singley.

There were no injuries reported to the Delta staff and all passengers were taken off the aircraft so officials could determine the extent of damage, she said.

I have a couple of questions was one plane taxing while the other was being pushed back? Or was this a simple pilot was not aware of how wide his wings were type of thing?

Either way I know there will be beer involved.

Attachments

• 154581160-29200705.jpg
    154581160-29200705.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 153
Trailing edge of a wing and the tail of another plane? I guessing from appearances that one or the other plane was being pushed back and a "wing walker" or whatever they call those guys with the lighted batons is updating his/her resume.

Yeah. One was parked, the other was being pushed back. The one parked doesn't look to me like it was quite all the way in to the parking spot, but that may be an illusion. Either way, the guy driving the tug will be doing a bit of a tap dance, I would think.

"on the tarmac" Looks like concrete to me. :D

"There were no injuries reported" I would hope not. But, Greg is right. That tug driver is going to have an uncomfortable discussion with folks above him in the chain. Oops.

"on the tarmac" Looks like concrete to me. :D
Yeah I hate that stupid expression too. The press seems to thinks 'tarmac' is some sort of special term for where airplane are moving before the runway instead of it being a form of asphalt. Words like ramp or taxiway seem foreign to the non-aviation minded people. But words like tarmac because it makes them appear smart to other non-initiated people.

Yeah. One was parked, the other was being pushed back. The one parked doesn't look to me like it was quite all the way in to the parking spot, but that may be an illusion. Either way, the guy driving the tug will be doing a bit of a tap dance, I would think.

They usually have wing-walkers. I wonder if they were both being pushed at the same time.

Guess we'll have to wat for more facts...

Back