SLOW J-3 on the VFR Arrival OSH

Has there ever been mid-airs due to the number of arrivals in the vicinity of Osh during the week of the gathering?

Terrible attitude. The worst that will happen is that you're stuck behind them from RIPON to FISK. The controllers are pretty good about dealing with aircraft that aren't capable of maintaining 90 after that point. I'm not going to complain about an aircraft that CAN'T maintain 90. I reserve that for the clowns who CAN but don't. I had to bail between RIPON and FISK because I couldn't track behind a 182 which was only doing 60 knots at that point. And our stall speeds are about the same. I couldn't understand why he was flying so darned close to it.

Keep camping in the left lane with your signal on, gramps.

Has there ever been mid-airs due to the number of arrivals in the vicinity of Osh during the week of the gathering?

Yes. There was a fatal crash resulting from a midair between a Thorpe T-18 and a Cessna 170. That was 30+ years ago somewhere along the Ripon-Fisk-Oshkosh approach.

Yes. There was a fatal crash resulting from a midair between a Thorpe T-18 and a Cessna 170. That was 30+ years ago somewhere along the Ripon-Fisk-Oshkosh approach.
That one was in 1990, but it wasn't fatal. In fact, the NTSB report says no injuries among the five on board the two planes.

There was a non-fatal mid-air between a cub and a Cherokee six in 2010. Broke the prop on the cub and the tire on the six. Happened after Fisk on the way to 9-27.

There have been more cases of people screwing up landings and the tight approaches over the years than issues with separation. There was also a mid-air between two Mooneys on one of the mass arrivals, but you can't blame that either on dissimilar aircraft nor the Ripon-Fisk procedure.

"Keep Right Except to Pass." It worked well. If I were passing in the left lane and there was traffic behind me coming up fast, I'd get back in the right lane as soon as I could.

Rolling with the threadjack, that is the law in Germany and it is strictly enforced, along with the companion rule that it is illegal to pass on the right. Those two rules together make the absence of speed limits on the Autobahn possible without incalculable carnage. Passing on the right is considered insanely dangerous, which it truly is when you are hammering down at 150mph in a big Bimmer blowing by a SmartCar redlining at 55mph. It really makes a huge difference to know faster traffic is always on your left and slower traffic is always on your right.

Tying that back to the OP, too bad the procedures don't allow cubbies to sidestep right between Ripon and Fisk to let the backlog through.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input on the matter. In my original post I mentioned the times stated in the NOTAM, Page 4 bullet points in the second column.

I think many people skip this section as it is labeled "for aircraft unable to operate comfortably at 90kts."

I interpret this section to read:

"Well, from 7:00-7:30am every day there will be a lot of aircraft arriving over fisk at 1800' that cannot maintain 90 kts. I think I will avoid that brief window and let the slow boys come in." or at the very least "I am arriving between 700-730. I had better count on slow traffic being at my altitude, and had better prepare my fuel situation for maneuvering to accommodate them."

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be common sentiment. At any rate, I am resolved to do it. I will be there on the 25th of July, over Fisk, at 1800 and 68 kts doing the very best I can.

I will see you all there. Have an excellent show, friends.

This is brilliant also for planes that CAN to go slower to avoid the cluster later. Is this pretty much routinely done, or is it an exception, with loads of fast planes with the occasional Cub? I might have to give this some serious consideration...

Rolling with the threadjack, that is the law in Germany and it is strictly enforced, along with the companion rule that it is illegal to pass on the right. Those two rules together make the absence of speed limits on the Autobahn possible without incalculable carnage. Passing on the right is considered insanely dangerous, which it truly is when you are hammering down at 150mph in a big Bimmer blowing by a SmartCar redlining at 55mph. It really makes a huge difference to know faster traffic is always on your left and slower traffic is always on your right.

Tying that back to the OP, too bad the procedures don't allow cubbies to sidestep right between Ripon and Fisk to let the backlog through.

extending it a bit.. In Italy many years ago, we were doing about 120mph down the autostrada, and had to keep a keen eye on the mirrors every time we pulled left to pass a car. There were plenty of large touring cars doing 150+ that would close on you pretty quick if you weren't paying attention. It was pretty awesome, people paying attention to their driving and doing so with skill.

Back