Sloppy radio communications at night

Yep, sometimes things loosen up at night. A good remind why you need to be on top of your game, regardless of the time of day

Is this typical of late night operations? People tired? Assuming no one is using the airport? Ready to get home?

It is pretty scary to look up during the flare and seeing another plane coming straight at you...

Were you landing backwards?

Edit: wasn't trying to be cute. Were you landing downwind?

Last edited:
After reading the whole thread:

VFR means see and avoid.
VFR does not mean listen and avoid.
VFR does not mean talk and avoid.

The pilot saw and avoided. That's VFR.
The radio is just icing on the cake, so to speak.
Never depend on it.
VFR.

A lot easier for "see and avoid" at night then during the day. We have a CFI that turns his volume down and forgets to restore it. He Has been in opposite traffice twice with me and has also pulled out in front from the hold short line when I was I was 100 yds from flaring. Had eyes out and I ALWAYS watch the hold short AC closely during approach.

Night Flight: Had a FED EX jet abort his takeoff at the Class C and request return to ramp (he didn't). On my landing, I glance left into the darkest area of the airport and see the outline of the Fed Ex on the taxiway during stop-n-go (no lights or beacon). Only had a second to react, but was pretty sure he probably had engine revving ... and he did ... quite the ride even with control inputs to fight it already set.

Night Flight2: Lost an alternator (disintegrated) 10 out from the field and called "AC in distress, smoke in cockpit" on CTAF to the two CBP helos practicing over the threshold. Battery blew out right after the transmission. Helos didn't budge, wind too high for opposite direction landing. Had to modify approach around them.

What you would LIKE to happen in the airport environement and what will actually happen are two different things. Be prepared and you'll be fine.

A lot easier for "see and avoid" at night then during the day. We have a CFI that turns his volume down and forgets to restore it. He Has been in opposite traffice twice with me and has also pulled out in front from the hold short line when I was I was 100 yds from flaring. Had eyes out and I ALWAYS watch the hold short AC closely during approach.

Night Flight: Had a FED EX jet abort his takeoff at the Class C and request return to ramp (he didn't). On my landing, I glance left into the darkest area of the airport and see the outline of the Fed Ex on the taxiway during stop-n-go (no lights or beacon). Only had a second to react, but was pretty sure he probably had engine revving ... and he did ... quite the ride even with control inputs to fight it already set.

Night Flight2: Lost an alternator (disintegrated) 10 out from the field and called "AC in distress, smoke in cockpit" on CTAF to the two CBP helos practicing over the threshold. Battery blew out right after the transmission. Helos didn't budge, wind too high for opposite direction landing. Had to modify approach around them.

What you would LIKE to happen in the airport environement and what will actually happen are two different things. Be prepared and you'll be fine.

That is pretty crazy. I always fly to see and avoid in VMC. But I'll add another layer now: Assume no one can hear you. Then you will never be surprised or disappointed.

I'm not sure I ever read that faster planes have the right of way. The OP was clearly in the legitimate traffic pattern, performing calls as recommended. According to the AIM, straight in approaches are allowed but only when they do not disrupt normal traffic pattern operations. In fact, this is what it states: FAR ,91.127(b) Says that all turns shall be to the left unless otherwise depicted. A straight-in requires no turns. NTSB Administrative Law Judges have found the straight in a violation of FAR 91.113. The latter refers to right of way rules.

Further noted, under 4-1-9(c) of the AIM it states, "1. Pilots of inbound traffic should monitor and communicate as appropriate on the designated CTAF from 10 miles to landing. Pilots of departing aircraft should monitor/communicate on the appropriate frequency from start-up, during taxi, and until 10miles from the airport unless the CFRs or local procedures require otherwise." These are recommendations, but clearly ignored by the OP's traffic.

Back