Slipping with flaps

I used to slip with full flaps in my 172 but with 40 deg of flaps it was rarely necessary.

Pull power, drop flaps, maintain 70 MPH (it was a '66) or whatever and watch it literally dive out of the sky! My 182 now is the same way. Gear down, full flaps, pull power, and maintain 75 or 80 indicated and it is like the space shuttle.

Sometimes I needed to slip it and I remember hearing OWTs about slipping with flaps but I think that applied to other types.

Read both the quote and my response. I trained in 2 different PA28s, an older warrior around the same year as the quoted post and a newish Archer.

Are you saying that in the context of a 91.13 action after an accident, FAA would overlook "prohibited" language published by the manufacturer (though not in the TCDS or an "approved" POH), and in the possession of the pilot, relating to an aerodynamics/handling/performance issue?

I don't think that was what Ron was trying to convey. I think he was just letting us all know that he wasn't violating any rules for the last 40 years slipping with full flaps all the time. :wink2:

I'm sure glad he wasn't breaking any rules with all that crazy slipping with flaps stuff because I have been doing it for 18 years myself.

I'm sure glad he wasn't breaking any rules with all that crazy slipping with flaps stuff because I have been doing it for 18 years myself.
I too slip with full (40°) flap, in my 172N with the long dorsal. I'd probably do it in a pre-'72 model too, but knowing what the issue is, I'd be spring-loaded to back off of the slip if I felt a pitch-down ...

I used to slip with full flaps in my 172 but with 40 deg of flaps it was rarely necessary.

Pull power, drop flaps, maintain 70 MPH (it was a '66) or whatever and watch it literally dive out of the sky! My 182 now is the same way. Gear down, full flaps, pull power, and maintain 75 or 80 indicated and it is like the space shuttle.

Sometimes I needed to slip it and I remember hearing OWTs about slipping with flaps but I think that applied to other types.

Haven't looked at the speeds for the RG in a long time, but why so fast? 65 indicated, even with the error introduced by a slip, is still plenty fast enough to avoid a stall.

Try it sometime... It'll come down like a brick. Sink rate is rather excessive though, From what I hear, it'll make a Pawnee driver feel right at home. :)

Back