slip to landing and speed update

AnnaG

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AnnaG
Thank you all, for your comments on the slip/speed issue.

As I mentioned, speed was the problem, trim was the solution in landings. And if I'm high, stablilize approach, THEN full slip, and round out. And amazingly, a smooth transition to landing.

I nailed my short field landings, based on many of your answers here, and got the sign off from my Chief CFI for my check-ride. (Scheduled for September 8.)

The Chief CFI and I had (what to me was) a really interesting conversation about what occurs between the time we student pilots set off on our cross-country flights, and the time when we come back to our home airports and start perfecting our maneuvers. Many of us "forget" the finer points of flying - trim, (right) rudder, particularly - as we take on the new challenges of communicating and navigating.

So these final weeks/days are back to the basics. For me, it'll be two weeks of trim and right rudder, and lots of study.

Obsessing about this whole thing (check-ride day), but have to think this is part of the process for now!

Congrats! Sounds like you're ready to go, but a little more polish on the basics never hurts (even year after you get you license). Concentrate on consistency, tighten up the tolerances and you'll be a pilot before you know it! (Good luck on the checkride!)

Back