Slightly Colorblind

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I have been taking lessons for a few months now and have about 26 hours logged. I had been putting off my medical exam for a while but finally got it done last week. During the vision test, the examiner determined i was mildly colorblind and put a "not valid for night flights and color control signals" limitation on my certificate. I never noticed any hint of being deficient in color recognition in my life, and have never encountered any trouble during my lessons. My instructor even asked the tower to give us some light gun signals during one approach, and i was able to identify them. I know i can get another evaluation done, but i dont see anywhere on the FAA site that specifically lists ophthalmologists, only the AME's.

Joe,

For color blindness you can apply for a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) through your local FSDO to get the restriction removed. This is a one time deal, so you have pass the test the first time. The good news is that the test is basically just looking at the light gun signals and getting them right, which you have already done. I'm pretty sure that AOPA has info about this on their website, and I bet you can find some info on the faa's website if you search around. Or, just call the FSDO and talk to an inspector about it.

Tony pretty much summed it all up. I did this years ago (1994 man I'm getting old...). all I had to do was to schedule an appointment with the FSDO (MKE in my case) and do the light gun test. They will flash red, green and white signals at you, and as long as you can distinguish these you will be issued a SODA, and a brand new medical/student pilot cert. From now on you can show the AME the SODA, and you can skip the Ishihara color test.

BTW how far did you get through the color plates? I get about 1/3 of the way through before I don't see anything anymore.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking i would have to call different ophthalmologists to see if they had the approved testing apparatus. Fortunately the airport where i fly has a FSDO.

Do they administer the test, or will they refer me somewhere else?

When I did it, I drove with the FSDO guy to the base of the MKE tower where they shot the light gun at me. YMMV though.

Daily crashes due to colorblindness! Not likely.

I think we have enough inexpensive ways to eliminate this as a screening technique.

yes there will always be some way to assign blame to such a deficiency but compared to other risk factors I think it gets way too much attention.

The demonstration test must be administered by an FAA Operations Inspector. Call the FSDO to make the arrangements, and make sure you go out the day before with your instructor to confirm that you are getting all the signals right. To help you out, here are the instructions given to the Inspector for conducting this test:
F. Defective Color Vision.
1) Applicants who fail the color vision screening test as listed in the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners, but desire an airman medical certificate without the color vision limitation, "NOT VALID FOR NIGHT FLYING OR BY COLOR SIGNAL CONTROL," may be given, upon request, an opportunity to take and pass additional operational color perception tests. The operational tests are determined by the class of medical certificate requested (see Figure 5‑153A). Such testing is conducted solely by an ASI and may be conducted only on a LOA (see Figures 5‑153B and 5‑153C). Applicants for a first‑ or second‑ class medical certificate are required to take and pass an Operational Color Vision Test (OCVT) and a color vision Medical Flight Test (MFT). Applicants for a third class medical certificate need only to take and pass the OCVT.

2) The OCVT has two components, the Signal Light Test (SLT) and demonstration of the ability to correctly read and identify colors on aeronautical charts. (See paragraph 5‑1526E6) for instructions on how to conduct the OCVT.) Applicants for a medical certificate who have defective color vision must be initially tested in daylight conditions, and if specified in the LOA, a nighttime test may be authorized to be given only after the daylight test has been completed.

6) Observe the applicant with a color vision defect.

a) An applicant for a first‑ or second‑ class airman medical certificate who has defective color vision, must demonstrate the following:

1. The ability to pass an OCVT which includes:
· A SLT (see paragraph 5‑1527); and
· The ability to read and correctly interpret in a timely manner aeronautical charts, including print in various sizes, colors, and typefaces; conventional markings in several colors; and terrain colors. Aeronautical chart reading may be performed under any light condition where the chart will normally be read. The ASI or AST must provide the aeronautical chart.
2. The ability to pass a color vision MFT as described below:
· Must read and correctly interpret in a timely manner aviation instruments or displays, particularly those with colored limitation marks, and colored instrument panel lights, especially marker beacon lights, warning or caution lights, weather displays, etc.
· Must recognize terrain and obstructions in a timely manner; have the applicant select several emergency landing fields, preferably under marginal conditions, and describe the surface (for example, sod, stubble, plowed field, presence of terrain roll or pitch, if any), and also describe how the conclusions were determined. Further, ask the applicant to identify obstructions such as ditches, fences, terraces, low spots, rocks, stumps, and, in particular, any gray, tan, or brown objects in green fields.
3. Must visually identify in a timely manner the location, color and significance of aeronautical lights. To minimize the effect of an applicant memorizing the color of a light associated with a particular light system, the ASI should make every effort to not use the light system name during the flight, but rather to ask the applicant to identify a light color and the significance of as many of the following lights as possible:
· Colored lights of other aircraft in the vicinity.
· Runway approach lights, both the Approach Light System (ALS) and Visual Glideslope Indicators.
· Runway edge light system.
· Runway End Identifier Lights.
· In‑runway lighting (runway centerline (CL) lights, touchdown zone (TDZ) lights, taxiway lead‑off lights, land and hold short lights.
· Airport boundary lights.
· Taxiway lights (edge lights, CL lights, clearance bar lights, runway guard lights, and stop bar lights.
· Red warning lights on television towers, high buildings, stacks, etc.
· Airport beacon lights.

b) An applicant for a third‑class airman medical certificate who has defective color vision must demonstrate the ability to pass the OCVT (see 6)a)1) above).

5-1527 PROCEDURES FOR THE SLT ONLY.

A. PTRS. Open PTRS file.

B. Schedule Appointment. Schedule the appointment, during daylight conditions or as specified in the LOA. Instruct the applicant to bring the LOA and medical certificate to the appointment.

C. Test Coordination. The ability to identify aviation red, green, and white is verified using the SLT. This test may be accomplished at the FSDO or the nearest air traffic control (ATC) tower which has a tower signal light or hand‑gun signal light. The operator of the equipment must ensure it is properly maintained and in good working order prior to initiating the test. In addition, every effort should be made to provide an environment that does not hamper the applicant's ability to successfully complete the test, i.e., mist, fog, dirty ATC Tower windows, Tower Cab shades drawn, overcast, etc. The signal light operator must not have the sun to their back. The ASI shall not indicate the accuracy of the readings during the test. If the applicant does not call each color correctly within the time period that the light is shown, the applicant fails; the test, however, is continued until completion.

D. Conduct SLT.

1) The signal light operator should shine the light steadily for a period of five seconds twice randomly as directed by the ASI for each color, green, red, and white.

2) The ASI must pre‑arrange the sequence of 12 lights to be shown to the applicant. Each color must be shown at least one time at 3 minute intervals for 5 seconds. Inform the light operator of the signal that will be used (hand signal, radio, etc.) to indicate when to shine the light.

3) The ASI must accompany the applicant to an area approximately 1,000 feet from the light operator and ask the applicant to respond to each of six lights by stating the light color shown. Instruct the applicant to respond within the 5 seconds after the light is shown.

4) Signal the light operator to begin the procedure.

a) Using the job aid in Figure 5‑164, record the color displayed and applicant's response.

b) After a 3‑minute interval, repeat the procedure until all six lights are shown.

5) Accompany the applicant to an area approximately 1,500 feet from the light operator, and repeat the procedures outlined above. Be sure that all six lights have been displayed before completing the test.

6) Applicants who pass the OCVT and the color vision Medical Flight Test (see paragraph 5‑1523G of this chapter) will be given a letter of evidence valid for all classes of medical certificates and will have no limitation or comment made on the certificate regarding color vision as they meet the standard for all classes. Applicants who only pass the OCVT will be given a letter of evidence valid for third‑class medical certificate. Certificates for third‑class will have a comment put in the limitation area of the certificate that reads: 3rd class letter of evidence. This comment is necessary to avoid an upgrade in class without further testing.

7) An applicant who fails the SLT portion of the OCVT during daylight hours may repeat the test at night. Should the airman pass the SLT at night, the restriction "NOT VALID FOR FLIGHT DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS BY COLOR SIGNAL CONTROL" must be placed on both the replacement medical certificate and the new SODA by the issuing medical office or the Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM‑300. The airman must have taken the daylight hours test first and failed prior to taking the night test. The day test documentation must be combined with the night test documentation and sent to the issuing medical office or to AAM‑300.

8) Should the applicant fail the SLT portion of the OCVT during daylight hours and at night, the restriction "NOT VALID FOR NIGHT FLYING OR BY COLOR SIGNAL CONTROL" must be placed on the medical certificate. If needed, contact the Regional Medical Office or the Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM‑300, to specify the correct wording on the certificate. Applicants who fail the daylight SLT are not eligible for a first‑ or second‑class medical certificate, and may not be given a letter of evidence or have the limitation removed or modified.

NOTE: Airmen with this limitation should be advised that to minimize the effect of loss of radio communications, they should as a safety practice carry an extra radio, and in the event of ATC radio communication outage to consider in planning their flight the possibility to divert to another airport or to an uncontrolled airport.
Note that if you want that Class II, you'll have to do a flight test as well as a ground test. You may want to combine this with your Private Pilot practical test -- if nothing else, that will save you a few hundred dollars for the examiner's fee.

Ron's printed FAA Order 8900.1, FSIMS, Volume 5, Chapter 8, Sections 5-1523.F, 5-1526.E.6, and 5-1527 F. However, this is much simpler:

Most who do not ever realize they have a deficiency are surprised by the wife who says, "honey, there's a little to much pink in that white paint".

1:400 men have some form of color deficiency.

Please note: Dr. Ishihara's original paper requires 2000Kelvin lighting. An AME office has about 260 kelvin fluoresecent tubes in the lamps. You need an exam room with an outdoor window, in the day.

AS RBL points out, FAA has gotten very compulsive about the color evaluation. I was required to buy ($500) a new set of plates just for the ATC guys (DVORINE). Most folks in your position utterly flunk the original AO plates and the ishiharas are the best screening bet.

The FALANT is completely out now.

See: AAR 04-02 (google it) for the sentinel crash that forced this change.

You can only take the waiver exam TWICE in your life. Therefore, do NOT just go and schedule the exam (after the Civil Aeromedical Folks make the referral). PREP HARD. Even for Third class, LOOK at everything on the sectional with your CFI, magenta, blue dashed lines, Class E part time airspace, Class G, etc. Have the CFI arrange multiple mock Light Gun Signal Tests with the Tower while on the taxiway, etc. Make SURE you can distinguish the smudgy white as the GREEN and the brighter white at the white. You'll have no trouble as to the RED, as you are DEUTERANOPE.

If you are going for second/first, you will need to identify colors of the ILS components in the day.

Attachments

• ColorVisionWaiverProcedure09-plain.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys. It was the Ishihara test that i failed, and it was in a closed exam room with fluorescent lighting, which i hadn't considered as a factor.

From the reading i have done so far, including the info faxed to me from the local FAA medical office (not sure the proper name of the facility) the FALANT test is still a valid test. Is this not the case anymore?

Also, to be clear, I shouldnt schedule a waiver exam yet? I have had no trouble reading charts (we went over these in detail this week during my ground school) and have had the light gun signals used before. I will continue to request light gun signals during my lessons.

Years ago I knew a color blind pilot who had a 1st class medical- he had passed the light gun test. Driving he would occasionally stop at green traffic lights.

Years ago I knew a color blind pilot who had a 1st class medical- he had passed the light gun test. Driving he would occasionally stop at green traffic lights.

My grandfather was pretty much completely color blind. He would pick tomatoes by feel. the thing that really screwed him up was when they first put up horizontal stoplights at busy intersections...

BTW if I wanted to upgrade my class III SODA to a class I/II SODA what would I need to do?????

Joe, go see Dr. Cohen at the SUNY College of Optometry, downstate. He has every color test in the book. If you can pass a few, you can get a letter of demonstrated performance, another way around the issue.

Are you going for the Class III waiver or the Class I/II waiver?

I'm going for a class III

Incidentally I go to a Dr Cohen for my regular vision tests, but he is out here on LI, not in NYC. Is there somewhere I can find a list of doctors capable of administering these tests? The Dr Cohen Bruce mentioned is in NYC, and it may be some time before i can make a visit there during business hours.

A good friend went with the FAA guy to take the colorblind test. They taxied out in the airplane to a remote spot at DET and the FAA guy got on the radio to the tower and said "shoot him a green one". My friend wasn't quite sure it was green and thought they were playing tricks on him. Said it was one of the hardest answers he ever had to come up with as his future professional pilot career depended on it. It was indeed green, the next command to the tower was "shoot him a red one". Sometimes the simplest questions are the hardest.
Dave

A good friend went with the FAA guy to take the colorblind test. They taxied out in the airplane to a remote spot at DET and the FAA guy got on the radio to the tower and said "shoot him a green one". My friend wasn't quite sure it was green and thought they were playing tricks on him. Said it was one of the hardest answers he ever had to come up with as his future professional pilot career depended on it. It was indeed green, the next command to the tower was "shoot him a red one". Sometimes the simplest questions are the hardest.
Dave

I am from the government, and I REALLY AM here to help. :D

Dave

LOL! What a great story! :rofl: :rofl:

Please note: Dr. Ishihara's original paper requires 2000Kelvin lighting. An AME office has about 260 kelvin fluoresecent tubes in the lamps. You need an exam room with an outdoor window, in the day.

Aha! That explains it!

Back in the 1970's, when I was a freshman at Aviation High School, a nurse came around and administered a color vision test to all the incoming students. Apparently the FAA required that student A&P mechanics be tested because of the need to identify color-coded electrical wiring, labels on tubing, fuels and other fluids, instrument markings, and so forth.

I had a lot of trouble passing that test. Several times the nurse had to ask me, "Are you sure?" At the end she told me, "You passed - barely. You're only slightly color blind." I was surprised to learn that, as I'd never had any problems distinguishing colors.

But then a couple of years later I passed the eye test for my driver's license; and a couple of years after that I passed my USCG flight physical with, well, flying colors, much to my surprise and relief. So I chalked the early failure up to an assumption that the nurse who did the test the first time around didn't know what she was doing.

But now it makes sense. I was in the sheet metal shop when the nurse came around to give the test, and all of the shop classes except for the hangar and the paint shop had fluorescent lighting.

-Rich

The FALANT is completely out now.

See: AAR 04-02 (google it) for the sentinel crash that forced this change.

I know that the Farnsworth Flashlight is out, but I had not heard that the Farnsworth Lantern is out. Is that something out of OKC or is this something a RFS conjured up?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Pardon the thread resurrection, but I thought this was cool and a little relevant to this thread.:

DanKam smartphone app aids the colorblind

The DanKam app, available for iPhone and Android for $2.99, is an augmented reality application that turns the vague hues that 1 percent of the population with colorblindness sees into the "true" colors as everyone else sees them.

The author's blog has some really interesting information about how the app works.

I have a friend who is color-blind. He downloaded the app and was like a little kid running around identifying colors that he has trouble with normally, so I guess it works.

...Most who do not ever realize they have a deficiency are surprised by the wife who says, "honey, there's a little to much pink in that white paint"...
That's funny - around my house it's usually more like "Honey, there's a little too much dusty rose in that ochre. Don't you think eggshell or bone would be more appropriate?" to which I say "Do you want the white or the white?" :)

I think they make up names just to mess with us guys.

Sorry for the hijack - back to the original discussion. :D

That's funny - around my house it's usually more like "Honey, there's a little too much dusty rose in that ochre. Don't you think eggshell or bone would be more appropriate?" to which I say "Do you want the white or the white?" :)

I think they make up names just to mess with us guys.

Sorry for the hijack - back to the original discussion. :D

A few years back I was stunned by the variety of "white" paint colors available: ivory, vanilla, cotton, etiquette, etc etc etc. There must have been close to a hundred different colors all claiming to be white.

We settled on "simply white"

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back