Sleep Study tonight

1. Get a full face mask, a good one, and use that. Try a nasal pillow mask later if you want.
2. Get your first mask locally, and after that buy online - CPAP.com is great. And don't buy a cheap mask.
3. Buy the machine online. Phillips Resprionics System One REMSTAR plus, with humidifier and heated tube is a good option. I ordered the model without the heated tube, and they were out of stock and shipped the heated tube version for no extra charge. We're very happy here. Much better than the prior version machine it replaced. Even if you pay for out of pocket, send the paperwork (which CPAP.com will provide copies of online) to your insurance company, since it will likely count toward your high deductible No reason to cheat yourself of that expense credit).

You're going to feel better. Maybe even better enough to call it "remarkable."

Thanks for the advice. You are reading my mind on the mask thing. I did find out that my insurance company does have a discount deal with the local DME. The way it works is this:

They "rent" you the machine(I think the only option is the S9 so that in and of it self adds some cost) for 10 months. Now the machine costs slightly more than I can buy it for online BUT the agreement with the insurance company is that they can not charge you for hoses, masks and supplies (filters) while you are renting and they do have a 30 day return policy on masks.

So when you do the math and throw in the cost of a GOOD full face masks the difference in going with the local DME is less than $100 even with a slightly inflated ($100 more) humidifier price. When I called they said you could go with whatever mask you want I am also assuming that heated hoses are included.

I will probably then buy some type of nasal mask online but I figure I will need a full face anyway for when I am stuffed up or hey, if it works well I will just use it all the time. I tend to be a mouth breather as I mentioned and frankly at the titration breathing through my nose all the time was very odd for me.

Thanks for the advice. You are reading my mind on the mask thing. I did find out that my insurance company does have a discount deal with the local DME. The way it works is this:

They "rent" you the machine(I think the only option is the S9 so that in and of it self adds some cost) for 10 months. Now the machine costs slightly more than I can buy it for online BUT the agreement with the insurance company is that they can not charge you for hoses, masks and supplies (filters) while you are renting and they do have a 30 day return policy on masks.

So when you do the math and throw in the cost of a GOOD full face masks the difference in going with the local DME is less than $100 even with a slightly inflated ($100 more) humidifier price. When I called they said you could go with whatever mask you want I am also assuming that heated hoses are included.

I will probably then buy some type of nasal mask online but I figure I will need a full face anyway for when I am stuffed up or hey, if it works well I will just use it all the time. I tend to be a mouth breather as I mentioned and frankly at the titration breathing through my nose all the time was very odd for me.

I use cpap.com for my online purchases of masks etc. they will need
A Rx on file.

Getting the Rx to cpap-supply.com was as simple as taking a photo of the scrip and emailing the image.

Getting the Rx to cpap-supply.com was as simple as taking a photo of the scrip and emailing the image.

I saw that on their webpage. I am still a bit baffled why you need a script in the first place for cpap equipment. Unless I am missing something what harm could be done?

Well I made it through the second night. Not too bad actually I slept much better(I thought so anyway).

Observations:

I am a mouth breather so getting used to the nose mask was a bit of a pain. The whole not being able to open your mouth and take a breath is a bit frustrating.

I also felt at times like I had to work to exhale against the pressure so that was a little annoying. I understand the newer machines can lower pressure on exhale.

Part of this could been when the tech was running the pressures up to the high range. That was needed to find out where the right pressure is to prevent the apneas.

And you're correct that the auto pap machines do have a feature that will sense when you are exhaling and reduce the pressure.

The nasal mask they used gave me a sore on my nose. I tried adjusting it several times but with all the other wires I couldn't get it just right.

Nasal pillows do come in various sizes, usually small, medium, and large, and the different mask designs have slightly different orientations. A bit of soreness at first is not unexpected since you're not used to it.
For the last half hour or so I tried a full face mask and liked it but it has it's own quirks (cheeks puffing up). Thinking I will need one of each anyway for those times when I am stuffed up.

I had a fairly vivid dream that my mask was filling with water and I was having a hard time getting it off. Shortly after that I woke up to go to the bathroom. Not sure what that means. :dunno:

:chuckle: I wonder what Freud would say about that!!

And wait until you experience your first rainout (when condensation in the hose gets blown into your nose.

One last tip is to check the supply houses for some of the comfort and cleaning items. I really like the "Snugglehose" product and the cheek pads.

For cleaning, the Control III Disinfectant CPAP Cleaning Solution works real well and one bottle lasts me a long time.

I saw that on their webpage. I am still a bit baffled why you need a script in the first place for cpap equipment. Unless I am missing something what harm could be done?

It's a dumb rule. But I think DME equipment needs a scrip, probably to prevent insurance fraud.

OK got the report from the titration and got the script from my doctor. All script says is CPAP 7cm I called the office and tried to get him to write it specifically for an apap with a range of pressure and he apparently wouldn't do it. According to his office he has to write it for what the study calls for. Which I find hard to believe as you don't even need to have a study to have the Dr. write a script for a cpap.

Now the insurance company is a different story but they are going to pay what they are going to pay anyway and with my high deductible it is only going to be credit towards my deductible for this year which we may or may not hit.

I guess that give me a few options.
1. use it as prescribed
2. call the sleep Dr. and ask him to adjust the report so the Dr. can adjust the script
3. or just look online and find out how to change it myself I understand this is not hard

3. or just look online and find out how to change it myself I understand this is not hard

No, it isn't.

7cm isn't much. You probably don't need to spend extra on an apap unless you hgave some particular reason for it.

OK got the report from the titration and got the script from my doctor. All script says is CPAP 7cm I called the office and tried to get him to write it specifically for an apap with a range of pressure and he apparently wouldn't do it. According to his office he has to write it for what the study calls for. Which I find hard to believe as you don't even need to have a study to have the Dr. write a script for a cpap.

Now the insurance company is a different story but they are going to pay what they are going to pay anyway and with my high deductible it is only going to be credit towards my deductible for this year which we may or may not hit.

I guess that give me a few options.
1. use it as prescribed
2. call the sleep Dr. and ask him to adjust the report so the Dr. can adjust the script
....dump the family doc and get a real doc....yeah, I said that. Or start seeing the sleep doc once a year at his office.

....dump the family doc and get a real doc....yeah, I said that. Or start seeing the sleep doc once a year at his office.

I think you are right. Actually I know you are right for several reasons. Living in very rural America limits your options.

As Matthew said, 7cm is on the lower side. At that pressure, an APAP may not be needed from a comfort standpoint. Where the APAP would help is the nights when you're not doing so good and need 10-12cm.

Too bad you're not closer to Dallas. I know of a very good sleep doc in Plano who has several pilots (GA and pro) as patients and keeps up with what the FAA asks for.

Well, Night number one is finally in the books. 7hrs 2.4 AHI (which I thought seemed high). Can't say it was a super restful fiddling with the mask and such. I was very aware of my breathing at times probably because you can hear it. It reminds me of when I am fighting fires with SCBA on, once you stop thinking about breathing you use less air and it smooths out.

As far as the mask goes it is a full face Resmed Quatro Air. Didn't leak too bad but I need to figure out the adjustment so it doesn't rub the bridge of my nose up. Had the same problem with the nose mask at the study although last night was not as bad. I will probably order another style to try so I have options.

Here's my trick - Occasionally I'll use a small patch of some J+J hypoallergenic paper tape (can't recall the name of it right now). Cut about a 1" piece, then cut about 1/4 off that. Turn that 1/4 around and stick it to the center of the remaining piece, then put that on the bridge of your nose where the irritation is. Stick it so the back of the center piece runs vertically. That will use the edges to stick to the sides of your nose, and the non-stick part will be against the irritated skin area. It will sit flat enough not to leak and the mask will rest/rub against the tape. It helps until you can get the mask adjusted properly and get used to it.

The first few nights of using my CPAP machine, I do not recall it being very restful either. But once I got used to wearing a mask and hearing the noises of the machine my breathing, restful sleep did occur. In my case, it took approximately two weeks for me to get comfortable with everything.

Now, it is part of my routine, just like getting into my comfortable pajamas, turning out the light, snuggling down to my pillow, and dropping out within 3 to 5 minutes.

I was home playing with the machine at lunch and just adjusting the mask and such just laid there breathing for about a half hour and oddly the machine shows 8.4 AHI. While I was awake. :yikes: It must not like my breathing patterns when I am awake. I am not sure how it decides what is an apnea and what is not.

It would seem that would severely skew your AHI numbers.

Interesting...

One positive "side effect" I have experienced to having air forced up your nose as you sleep.... Very few occurrences of stuffed up nose/head at night.

During the evening, I might experience a stuffed or runny nose and sneezing (allergies or mild cold symptoms). But as soon as I'm in bed with the mask on, I'm breathing just fine after a few minutes as long as I have the humidity turned down to low.

No matter how your slice it, CPAP is a good thing for me. Quality sleep is a #1 addiction (flying is #2 :D )

I was home playing with the machine at lunch and just adjusting the mask and such just laid there breathing for about a half hour and oddly the machine shows 8.4 AHI. While I was awake. :yikes: It must not like my breathing patterns when I am awake. I am not sure how it decides what is an apnea and what is not.

It would seem that would severely skew your AHI numbers.

I've tried to figure out the algorithm it uses for counting. It has to average over some amount of time, and I am pretty sure there are ways it allows for breaks ( like a bathroom break) without losing track. I think they are all pretty easy to fool unless you use them for several hours at a time.

Here's my trick - Occasionally I'll use a small patch of some J+J hypoallergenic paper tape (can't recall the name of it right now). Cut about a 1" piece, then cut about 1/4 off that. Turn that 1/4 around and stick it to the center of the remaining piece, then put that on the bridge of your nose where the irritation is. Stick it so the back of the center piece runs vertically. That will use the edges to stick to the sides of your nose, and the non-stick part will be against the irritated skin area. It will sit flat enough not to leak and the mask will rest/rub against the tape. It helps until you can get the mask adjusted properly and get used to it.

Thanks for the tape tip. I just stuck the tape to my face since it was just starting to get sore and it helped quite a bit. I slept better than last night don't think I adjusted the mask at all. Some very minor leaks here and there depending on sleep position.

AHI was 2.4 again and like 8.3 hours of sleep which for me is a lot. It is hunting season here in rural America and I am usually up long before 7:00 but today they were calling for rain so stayed in bed.

I also noticed that they must have started the machine before noon (assume it starts the new day then) on the day I picked it up because it shows I have 2 days use out of 3. :rolleyes2:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back