Sleep MWT thoughts

motospeed9058

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rhall9058
So I arrived at 0645 this morning and was suprised at the freedom provided for the test. I got the obligatory paperwork out of the way and was again suprised that the only sensors used were on the head. No leg sensors, no snore mics, and generally, the ability to be as comfortable as I want to be. The first 40 min session of silence was rather "uneventful". Funny thing is, I'm reading a book on the history of Alcatraz and now understand the theory of how solitary confinement can drive people insane. The rules established for me were no slapping in the face, talking to myself singing or other "fight or flight" techniques. I will say though that while I was initially concerned at how well this test would or would not go, it is relatively easy so far. Glad I brought plenty of study materials for the written exam to entertain the "downtime" in between test periods. Wish I could get my house this laid back.

Sent using Tapatalk

Have fun...

Keep posting - that might help the day go by a little faster!

--

Any AMEs:

Just wondering - the 40 minute periods (vs 20 minute periods) - is that an FAA requirement? A sleep lab requirement? Is there a standard for this?

Ok, 2 of 4 complete and no worse than the first. Other than getting a little hungry. So far, I haven't had to rely on any of the "tricks" that so many have offered and I haven't had the slightest incling of falling asleep yet.

Any AMEs:

Just wondering - the 40 minute periods (vs 20 minute periods) - is that an FAA requirement? A sleep lab requirement? Is there a standard for this?

I actually asked my tech about this and they said that's part of a different test (slrt?). Its used to judge different SLEEPING aspects. The 40 mins is the MWT which, from what I gather, is a standard industry test that many different entities rely upon, not just the FAA.

Sent using Tapatalk

"MWT Thoughts" *chuckle* Heck, my thoughts are what kept me awake!

I did the POW trick of building something in my head. 'cept instead of building, I did a complete flight from dispatch/pre-flight to shutdown.

My sessions were 4 rounds of 15 minutes each, and about 90 minutes between.

I was also given a metal folding chair to sit in. This helped me stay awake since it was a hard seat to start with, but also one of the legs was missing the rubber foot, so it leaned toward one corner.

Last edited:
Ok, 3 of 4 done and I can confirm, without a doubt, it is virtually impossible to accurately count how many holes are in a ceiling tile.

One last 40 minute session to go and this will be the hardest one being its the one right after eating. I tried to keep to a small meal so I don't have that post-thanksgiving feeling. Let's do this!

Sent using Tapatalk

Alright! 4 out 4 done. TEST OVER! No issues from the techs perspective. Hopefully the doc and the FAA will see it the same way and we can put an end to this madness!

As a final comment to something I said earlier. The tech had said the 20 minute tests were for an MSLT and that is completely opposite of the MWT. For the MSLT, they are testing for narcolepsy and they WANT you to fall asleep.

Have a good week everybody, I hope to be back in the air with you all soon!

Sent using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back