Sleep medication and the FAA

U

User19181

If an existing certificated pilot has been prescribed Lorazepam and Temazepam, on separate occasions, to assist with sleep, is this disqualifying for future medicals? Obviously I know I can't fly until 72 hours after last use. Usage was occasional as needed, 10mg each dose, never more than one dose a day.

Prescriptions were given in foreign countries...

Yikes, those are “bennies” (benzodiazepines). Pretty much no-no but one of the doctors will be along to say if very occasional one time use is allowed. I believe Ambien (sort of a bennie) is allowed that way, but don’t know about the regular full on ones.

TOTALLY grounding.....
Better be “of record” off the meds x90, hor the agency will be looking for depression or a sleep disorder.....

TOTALLY grounding.....
Better be “of record” off the meds x90, hor the agency will be looking for depression or a sleep disorder.....

Thanks very much for the swift reply. Do you mean grounding forever, or until off meds (I assume by x90 you mean for 90 days?)

I've actually not taken any of the Temazepam, and took about 10 of the Lorazepam over the space of two weeks.

benzodiazepines are disqualifing. Seek other otc or schedule IV prescribed medications.

benzodiazepines are disqualifing. Seek other otc or schedule IV prescribed medications.

I use this stuff:

https://shop.mercola.com/product/60...latonin-spray-32-servings-per-bottle-1-bottle

It works like a charm, and has no lingering sedation the next morning.

I thought I recalled that the FAA will allow Z-drugs for use only for jet lag and only like 6 doses per year or something. IOW you don't have a sleep disorder but you are an international pilot. Is this still true? (I notice zolpidem is a schedule IV?)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back