Sleep Apnea

U

Unregistered

I heard a comment that a full 50 percent of people have some level of sleep apnea. How can one get tested without initially jeopardizing one's medical? Are there various levels of apnea that would not affect the medical? I understand that if there is a legitimate diagnosis that measures must be taken and there are consequences to the medical.

What are some of the symptoms, and how would one go about deciding if one should get tested?

Tons of info out there on this - Let Me Google That For You Please don't take offense at the link - I just get a chuckle out of using that site

Here are a few pertinent links:

http://www.sleepnet.com/sleeptest.html
http://www.sleepapneainfo.com/faq.php
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-apnea/

I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and have a 3rd class medical, Special Issuance (SI) for years.

as far as percentages of the population? dunno, but it's somewhat ironic/indicative that in the IT shop I'm at, 3 out of 6 of us are on CPAP, and one that isn't, should be.

To the OP...do you have symptoms? Daytime sleepiness, high blood pressure, etc? If not, getting tested might be opening a can of SI worms unnecessarily...

Sleep Apnea is a serious problem if left untreated. The work up is fun but not horrible. Most sufferers can maintain compliance with the therapies and will be utterly suprised at how much better they feel. The only issue is that if you have sleep apnea, you will probably be required to have a special issuance and have yearly exmaninations to show compliance with therapy.

Complying with a special issuance and protecting your health, and avoiding the risks of an accident or worse by not treating the problem is a win-win situation.

Tons of info out there on this - Let Me Google That For You Please don't take offense at the link - I just get a chuckle out of using that site

No offense. While I am confident that I don't have a problem, the idea that half of the people suffer from some degree of apnea has me wondering. I am kind of interested what the Doc's have to say about it and what the SI requirements are for the various classes of medical. Specifically First.

3rd class SI for OSA is annual physical with letter from primary care physician detailing treatment (CPAP, Pressure, etc), compliance, and efficacy of treatment (no daytime sleepyness). If deemed necessary, AME and/or FAA Medical can require a Maintenance of Wakefulness test.

Don't know about 2nd and 1st class medicals, but AOPA medical section had the info there at one time.

3rd class SI for OSA is annual physical with letter from primary care physician detailing treatment (CPAP, Pressure, etc), compliance, and efficacy of treatment (no daytime sleepyness). If deemed necessary, AME and/or FAA Medical can require a Maintenance of Wakefulness test.

I have a friend who got snared in this. His wife suggested he "see if the doctor can do anything about your snoring." Wel, doc said that he had mild sleep apnea, but not bad enough to treat with CPAP, etc... And now he has to do the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test.

The MWT consists of sitting in a darkened room for 45 minutes. You're not allowed to whistle, tap your foot, or do anything else to hold your attention, you have to just sit there. Sounds like it'd be somewhat difficult even if you WEREN'T suffering from sleep apnea! :eek:

You can be damn sure I'm not going to go to the doctor for "snoring." Unless I couldn't stay awake during the day, I'd avoid 'em entirely. It's unfortunate that the FAA makes things so difficult that we avoid doctors. :(

I have a friend who got snared in this. His wife suggested he "see if the doctor can do anything about your snoring." Wel, doc said that he had mild sleep apnea, but not bad enough to treat with CPAP, etc... And now he has to do the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test.

The MWT consists of sitting in a darkened room for 45 minutes. You're not allowed to whistle, tap your foot, or do anything else to hold your attention, you have to just sit there. Sounds like it'd be somewhat difficult even if you WEREN'T suffering from sleep apnea! :eek:

You can be damn sure I'm not going to go to the doctor for "snoring." Unless I couldn't stay awake during the day, I'd avoid 'em entirely. It's unfortunate that the FAA makes things so difficult that we avoid doctors. :(
I always knew pilots were special. Now, I'm learning they don't snore either.!!!:blowingkisses:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back