Sleep Apnea Special Issuance & CPAP SD Card Error

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by kontiki, Oct 7, 2019 at 2:54 PM.

1. kontiki

kontiki Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kontiki
    I've had a Special Issuance for sleep apnea for several years.

Every year, the FAA has asked for a full year's worth of data from the memory card in the CPAP machine.

Last month, I started seeing a SD Card Error message on my machine. Getting a new memory card resolved the fault message. I have no idea if the data on the faulted card, that has been in the machine since last January will be readable or not.

Anyone been through this before? Any recommendations?

2. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    I'm interested to hear. this is my worst nightmare, though my machine also "phones home" each day so they could create a record for me from that.

3. Rcmutz

Rcmutz Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    rcmutz
    Depending on the machine, it may store the past data in non volatile memory in the machine, and then transfer to the card.

My machine goes into a download mode when the SD card is re-inserted after taking it out and to the doc for reading.

You could probably also go to a Sleep Apnea forum and ask the question there, specific to your machine.

4. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Yeah. You might not have the detailed info (daily/nightly data) but probably still have the summary data.

5. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    ..and if you utilization is 98% or better and you avg usage is>6 hrs the aggregates might do.

I tell everyone to print every 90 days, belt and suspenders as it were...

TCABM likes this.
  6. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    I'm shocked that you can't buy bogus CPAP usage data files on the dark web.

7. Salty

Salty En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Or create your own with a sample file and a few hours.

8. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    please tell me the above is satire and completely in jest. Remember that posting on the internet is forever ...

disclaimer - NO ONE WOULD DO THE ABOVE ... right?

Best solution to the CPAP problem for me (which wasn't a problem, just an irritation) was Basic MED.

Rcmutz, GRRR and gdwindowpane like this.
  9. kontiki

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kontiki
    Thanks for the suggestions. Just to share what I learned; I have a Philips Dream Station.

There is an iPad application that lets me bluetooth connect to the machine and generate up to 90 day .pdf reports. Unfortunately, the machine only has about 6 months of data stored in it.

There is also a PC application and support website that will let me read what's on the SD card and generate from that data too. The data on the SD card, does not go back further than initial installation date (a month ago).

All in all, when I send the FAA my data in early in 2020, I may be short a months worth of data. Maybe I'll have to pass on flying for a month to generate sleep data?

Now that I see how it works, I will just set up a computer nag that reminds me to blue tooth in and generate a backup report every 2 months. Nothing ever gets any easier. If I went with Basic Med, I'd still have to send data every year.

10. Rcmutz

Display Name:

Display name:
    rcmutz
    From what I understand, if you can go basic med, you will not have to send data in to the FAA. Everything is done through your primary care doctor. Although he may want to see you are compliant in the use of the CPAP.

11. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    You are correct. No more CPAP reports to FAA as you are no longer maintaining OSA SI.

gdwindowpane likes this.
  12. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    The CPAP reports on the SI is one of the dumbest and most counterproductive policies I've seen. I know of a few pilots who won't go in for a sleep apnea consult lest they get the diagnosis and some commercial pilots who use CPAP but don't report it (I just sleep with a fan blowing on my face).

13. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    A famous guy once said: "Render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar...."

I believe the citation is Matthew 22.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    gkainz likes this.
  14. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    Nothing like waking up after 5 hours of sleep and laying there just waiting for another hour to pass so you can get your 6th hour in for compliance. :confused:

15. kontiki

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kontiki
    Flying is only a hobby for me. I've been using a CPAP since 1999. Life was hell for me before I was diagnosed. No fuzz on it! The whole GA pilot SI thing started for me in 2012. Collecting nightly data for the FAA has made me acutely aware of how much I sleep every night. I look at the CPAP number first thing every morning.

In my regular job, I'm an avionics engineer on swing shift. It's not unusual for me to have to cover an occasional midnight shift, which does really tear me up. I'm not a spring chicken either. I truly believe going to work with "good brain" is key to my effectiveness on the job. I'm literally confined to a cloth box for 10 hour shifts, paid to think and contribute solutions, sometimes while a jet sits someplace on delay.

If I'm not rested, it's just 10 hours of marking time hoping nothing too complicated crops up. With regular exercise (3 one mile swims a week), getting to sleep is usually not a problem. As a result of it all, I now try for at least 7-8 hours of good sleep prior to a work shift. If I wake up early and haven't had 7, I'll just relax and go back for another hour. I get what your saying. I'm just making the most of it. I really do believe a large segments of the population are sleep deprived, even without APNEA. I know everything goes better for me when I'm well rested.

gkainz likes this.
  16. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    I use my machine almost every night unless I have a cold or something then I just can't so I prop the pillows up. Most nights I get between 7-8 hours but there are plenty of nights I wake up after 4 or 5 and for me there is just no falling back to sleep just the way my body/brain works. My wife is the opposite she can fall back to sleep after anything. I am also the type that it doesn't matter what time I go to bed I am up at the same time. So even if I get to bed late I am up at the same time. Laying there with that thing on your face for an hour or more just waiting for time to pass is just dumb for what is for me also a hobby.

17. Rcmutz

Display Name:

Display name:
    rcmutz
    What I wonder about is if you go basic med, and then your doctor retires or you move and can not find a doctor to sign off on basic med, will the FAA require a new OSA test, or maintenance of Wakefulness Test to verify the success of the CPAP in order to get your SI back? The MWT is a pita of a test from what I have been told. Imagine sitting in a dimly lit room doing nothing for 8 hours. No TV, no book, no iPad, nothing. Oh...don’t fall asleep or you fail.