Sleep apnea - logs corrupted

O

OSA

Hi,

I use a dental appliance as treatment for my sleep apnea. I just went to get the data downloaded ahead of my annual class 3 medical.

The sleep doc says the data has been lost/corrupted because the battery failed. So now I have no data to send in. New battery takes 3 months due to supply chain issues.

How big a problem do I have? Do I just get a letter from sleep doc that I have been compliant but that the chip failed and submit that along with the usual items?

The appliance still works so I'd like to keep using it while I wait for new battery.

Thanks for any advice!

Neither your doc nor the FAA knows if you are compliant without that data. In either case, they would just be taking your word for it.

I've never heard of a dental appliance with monitoring. Can you send a link to the device and satisfy my curiosity?

Agreed, but I don't know what a practical alternative is. The data is gone, and there's no way to retrieve it.

My understanding it was possible to maintain an SI before tracking chips were available so there must be some path forward here.

The one I use is the DentiTrac from Bradbon:

https://www2.braebon.com/products/dentitrac

Neither your doc nor the FAA knows if you are compliant without that data. In either case, they would just be taking your word for it.

I've never heard of a dental appliance with monitoring. Can you send a link to the device and satisfy my curiosity?

The other is the Somnodent oral device.

FAA will let you have another certificate with 90 days' of data and a note that "my dog ate my homework".

Thanks to both of you. Very cool little devices. We live in amazing times.

Thanks Dr. Bruce, sounds like I'm going to be stuck for a bit. My medical expires at the end of June, so no hope of 90 days usage before then. Especially with the batteries backordered.

If I then apply after I have the 90 days' data, (60 days after medical expires) that will affect my SI, correct? It will lapse since I didn't renew on time.

Seems like I should move to BasicMed and then reapply for a new SI once I have my data re-established. Any other options?

Really appreciate the advice. Definitely don't want a denial on my record.

Back