Sleep apnea diagnosis

Jameskerr3

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea two days ago . I’m getting a sleep study in three weeks, the proper one. I am wondering the any doctors know if this can cause psych issues. I don’t want to post the question more than once and won’t. I hope all is well in this community.

If you haven’t had a sleep study how did you get diagnosed with OSA? By symptoms alone?

measurment of oxygen and history of symptoms. Low oxygen- first test was poor oxygen levels- they decrease as i sleep second test i did better- he diagnosed me after looking at my oxygen levels - but i still have a sleep study

also did two other sleep studies and the third will be the most comprehensive

Well it can complicate cognition which can minic secondary effects of depression and/or aniexty, however with that history, FAA will demand full evlauations of those two situations in addition to treatment of the sleep apnea....

Last edited:
I’ve bothered You guys enough before but with my mental health history whether caused by sleep deprivation I know that’s great advice and I will hopefully not need meds but I won’t put the cart before the horse. My history is a final denial so 2015 was almost ten years ago and either Luvox or sleep caused close to psychosis. I’m probably grounded for life but hopefully not. I have great admiration for the FAA and everyone who loves aviation. I’ll be realistic - Sincerely James

Last edited:
Ok I’m ok even if I don’t get a medical but if I can that’s the goal - flattery isn’t the goal it’s an honest expression of how I feel

I’m probably grounded for life but hopefully not. I have great admiration for the FAA and everyone who loves aviation.

You still have the option of flying an ultralight aircraft if you are satisfied that you are safe enough. Ultralights are limited in speed and are fair weather machines but a few of them are quite capable of scratching the aviation itch and look good doing it ...

There is delusions In record but it’s been a good long while. I’m medicated but perhaps the sleep study will provide data whether I have brain damage is another thing from the sleep apnea I hope not. Maybe in fifteen years from the date I could at least apply for a third class medical. Immanuel Kant said don’t do something to get something be at one with something in reguards to the flattery - I know the informal standard for psychosis is ten years and you can get a second look but probably more time with no guarantee of success .

Back