Sleep apnea and disclosure

U

Unregistered

I've used a CPAP machine for several years, since a few years before I started learning to fly. It's well-controlled and no issues, my sleep doc concurs, etc.

But -- due to some pretty bad advice, I didn't disclose it when I got my first medical. I want to, and as far as the condition goes I'm confident the therapy and my compliance is good (wakefullness and everything). But of course, the non-disclosure is a problem.

Hopefully Dr. Bruce or someone else will have some helpful direction. I know the decision was wrong, and it's completely out of sorts for me to do something like that, but I can't take back the past decision. I've been beating myself up pretty good about it for a while. I just need to figure out what to do next to properly disclose, and hopefully still satisfy the FAA and their requirements.

Thanks.

Well, if at your next contact with FAA (and this can be an accident, an incident or a "deal") you present unequivocal evidence that you are qualified to hold the SI, they will give you the SI and warn you about operation. I have never had "discipline" occur because of this one.

There are many strings here as to what you need for the initial SI....
Initial sleep study.
Current status report with 4 components.
CPAP machine download >31 days, showing >75% of nights with >6 hours use and an acceptably low AHI.

But don't come up short. If you try to skive the requirements you get the demand letter and the 30 day denial threat, which they do follow through upon.

Last edited:
Thanks, doc for the quick and clear guidance. Crazy thing is, I allowed someone (trusted and in the professional aviation field) at the time to "help" me believe that use of the CPAP was not really technically reportable, but since then it's become quite crystal clear to me that it's prescribed, and therefore it's reportable - as I had initially suspected. Lessons learned.

I'm not afraid at all of asking for the SI. I have one already, in fact - one that was significantly more difficult and time-consuming to obtain when I first got my student pilot cert (alcohol abuse that was, at the time of issuance, 13 years in the past - and is now even further back in history).

I found the four components you mentioned (pretty sure - below), and looks like 31+ days of CPAP compliance data is the current requirement (moving target of sorts)? All of these components will be a relative non-issue for me to come up with.

1) A copy of the original sleep study and the doctor's interpretive notes.
2) A letter from the doctor saying that you "do not have right heart failure on exam."
3) Add to the letter a statement from the doctor that you do not have any tendency to fall asleep beyond what is normal (Epworth Score).
4) 31 days minimum data from the CPAP machine, >75% nightly usage, >6 hours per night usage.

Again, thanks much for the help.

Quick followup question: Is the SI for OSA equally applicable to 1st and 2nd class medicals?

The SI is the same for all classes. Not getting good rest leads to narcolepsy and that is the same for all classes.

Just a comment and Dr Bruce had to set me straight on this....the Med Ex form isn't really clear. I guess SLeep Apnea is considered a pulmonary disease. As the form wasn't clear, I didn't check it but in discussing with the good doc, he said that was something that needed to be disclosed so it was as part of the exam and paperwork I had to get together.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back